Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Lahair

Tom

Bryan Lahair

So now that the Cubs have done their very best to throw away $100,000,000.00 on another awful team, they're looking to sell. I'm sitting at work nearly drooling over my keyboard at the prospect of the Reds trading to get Bryan Lahair. Experts are predicting that the price to get him would be relatively low and he could (at only $482,500.00) provide a whole bunch of offense for our pitching staff. Not to mention he does have experience playing in left field. But I must address the elephant in the room: he is left-handed.

What's the verdict, forum?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bryan Lahair

Never happen, Reds don't need a backup first basemen at what it would cost prospect wise. Theo is going to want at least a top level prospect and probably another player.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Love to see it happen. Reds actually need at least two more LHH.

While Denard Span or Seth Smith or Michael Brantley would all be nice OF acquisitions, I'd really like to see LaHair in LF.

Would you rather have Lahair or Carlos Quentin playing LF for the Reds? Of course, Quentin's salary is much greater, but who would really cost more as far as players/prospects. The Padres don't have Quentin under contract beyond this year, while a team would have multiple years of control with Lehair, right? Also, Lehair's avg. seems suspect to me (but I don't know his minor league track record or history) because he strikes out at such a high rate, while Quentin appears to make better contact and has a track record for good power.

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1869's Original View Post
    So now that the Cubs have done their very best to throw away $100,000,000.00 on another awful team, they're looking to sell. I'm sitting at work nearly drooling over my keyboard at the prospect of the Reds trading to get Bryan Lahair. Experts are predicting that the price to get him would be relatively low and he could (at only $482,500.00) provide a whole bunch of offense for our pitching staff. Not to mention he does have experience playing in left field. But I must address the elephant in the room: he is left-handed.

What's the verdict, forum?
    Elephant in the room? This Reds offense has been woeful hitting against RHs, while LaHair owns a 1.068 (!) against righties. Only a plus for me, as I refuse to lend credibility to Dusty's ridiculous have to have a righty for cleanup theory.

Rarely do we do deals with the Cubs. Why would we need another first baseman? He's also almost 30 years old so his window to play is shrinking.

How about Michael Cuddyer? His slash line reads .271/.330/.483. He's actually hitting RHP's better than LHP's (.281 vs. .241). One thing to be wary of: his home-away splits from Coors aren't that great, but coming to GABP shouldn't hurt his power numbers too much. I'd imagine he could be had relatively cheaply (wouldn't demand the same cost as Quentin/Willingham), and allows Phillips to move back to the top of the order.

2B Phillips
    CF Stubbs
    1B Votto
    LF Cuddyer
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    C Mesigan

Thoughts?
    Last edited by stfm965; 06-13-2012 at 02:21 PM.

To be honest I don't know what Bryan Lahair is. He could be a Nelson Cruz type of late bloomer or he could be a Brandon Larson AAAA player who had a good month.

If you can get him for virtually nothing I would do it, but I would not pin my hopes on a guy with 230 major league ABs as a 29 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by stfm965 View Post
    How about Michael Cuddyer? His slash line reads .271/.330/.483. He's actually hitting RHP's better than LHP's (.281 vs. .241). One thing to be wary of: his home-away splits from Coors aren't that great, but coming to GABP shouldn't hurt his power numbers too much.

2B Phillips
    CF Stubbs
    1B Votto
    LF Cuddyer
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    SS Cozart
    C Mesigan

Thoughts?
    I wouldn't mind Cuddyer hitting 4th, although I would much prefer Quentin. Both are available, although at what price I don't know. But stfm965, if you're going to make the lineup out for us you have to get Stubbs out of the 2nd hole - I don't care how fast he is, in my opinion the highest he should ever hit in the lineup 6th. He's got some power to be sure, but he can't make contact - and that isn't going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by rgslone View Post
    I wouldn't mind Cuddyer hitting 4th, although I would much prefer Quentin. Both are available, although at what price I don't know. But stfm965, if you're going to make the lineup out for us you have to get Stubbs out of the 2nd hole - I don't care how fast he is, in my opinion the highest he should ever hit in the lineup 6th. He's got some power to be sure, but he can't make contact - and that isn't going to change.
    Didn't the Rockies just sign Cuddyer in the offseason? What leads you to believe that he is available?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Didn't the Rockies just sign Cuddyer in the offseason? What leads you to believe that he is available?
    Yes, he's signed through 2014. His contract is a little pricey (he was signed to a 3yr/31.5m deal) compared to Willingham (3yr/21m) but would probably command less in return than Willingham.

Though the degree to which Cuddyer is available is completely my own speculation, I imagine that with the Rox being 14.5 games out and with no hope of catching LAD, it might be wise for them to shop players (such as Cuddyer) who are not in their long term plans.

Quote Originally Posted by stfm965 View Post
    Yes, he's signed through 2014. His contract is a little pricey (he was signed to a 3yr/31.5m deal) compared to Willingham (3yr/21m) but would probably command less in return than Willingham.

Though the degree to which Cuddyer is available is completely my own speculation, I imagine that with the Rox being 14.5 games out and with no hope of catching LAD, it might be wise for them to shop players (such as Cuddyer) who are not in their long term plans.
    They signed him for 3 years, if he wasn't a long term investment, why pay him for 3 seasons?

Things change. The emergence of Tyler Colvin may make trading Cuddyer an attractive option now. (Not saying they are shopping him because I have no earthly idea.) But I would think the Rockies are a team that should be exploring every alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    To be honest I don't know what Bryan Lahair is. He could be a Nelson Cruz type of late bloomer or he could be a Brandon Larson AAAA player who had a good month.

If you can get him for virtually nothing I would do it, but I would not pin my hopes on a guy with 230 major league ABs as a 29 year old.
    Never knew Nelson Cruz was almost 32 years old and didn't have much starting time until age 28.

Saying Brandon Larson had a good month is about a stretch. He had 12 hits in 35 AB, 3 HR, 10 RBI....July of his 2nd season.

In his 3rd season he was an infamous 9 for 89....yikes and lol

Turn Off Ads?