Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why exactly isn't Stubbs on the DL?

Why exactly isn't Stubbs on the DL?

He hasn't played since June 5th, why play a man short?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Why exactly isn't Stubbs on the DL?

I think he was going to play yesterday but got sick

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Proabably because they felt he would likely be playing by now, and it's not as like we have anyone banging down the door to bring up.

B/c the Reds like to keep things fair by playing at 24 several times a season.

Senor Votto

Having 24 and Stubbs is better than 24 and Costanzo

Might be that there is no one worthwhile to bring up from Louisville? Might as well stay at 24 if no one can help you.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Proabably because they felt he would likely be playing by now, and it's not as like we have anyone banging down the door to bring up.
    This. The Reds are also 4-3 in that same time, so I'm not sure that this has presented much of an issue to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He hasn't played since June 5th, why play a man short?
    June 5 was also the last game for JJ Hoover. Jus' saying.

I thought I heard them say on TV or radio that his original injury (back?) was almost better, and then he got the flu or crud that was going around the team... Not sure though...
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I thought I heard them say on TV or radio that his original injury (back?) was almost better, and then he got the flu or crud that was going around the team... Not sure though...
    That's how the paper reported it this morning, although he doesn't seem to be 100% and, Dusty noted this, they're in that situation now where they could be hesitant to use him and end up burning the ability to make the DL stint retroactive to June 5th. They also suggested that if Rolen is ready (and there are rumblings that he may be), that they go ahead and DL Stubbs, activate Rolen and then deal with the other personnel question a week or so down the pike.

These seems to come up pretty much every time someone has an injury that's not significant and that starts out day to day and I don't think the Reds are alone in playing short for a week or so. It's just something to live with.

And as others noted in this thread, no one's lighting things up in AAA that screams for a call up to fill the spot.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Yeah when you are presented with a 7 day projected injury or so you have a decision that can go either way. The last 2 call ups from the Bats have been Costanzo and Negron...I'm sure that was a consideration.

It would be nice if the majors had a 7 day DL for position players.

They do have a 7 day DL but I think its just for concussions. Stubbs is due back sat. or sun. At least thats what he said.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    They do have a 7 day DL but I think its just for concussions. Stubbs is due back sat. or sun. At least thats what he said.
    Then somebody should have whacked him in the head. (I kid, I kid)
    Where we gonna go?

What's so hard about removing Constanzo from the 40 man and adding someone else....even Mr. Gathright himself. Yes.....the evil one himself. The one player who would people wish Patterson or Reggie Taylor were back.

Turn Off Ads?