Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Heisey

Chris Heisey

I don't know what to make of this player. He hustles. There's debate about his defense, but he is clearly excellent in LF and IMO decent in CF.

He's hitting .270, one of the higher BAs on the team. Yet he has a .305 OBP, has walked only 6 times in 159 at bats, and has a .670 OPS.

Earlier in his career, he hit righties a lot better than lefties. Last year, he had an .865 OPS against righties; a .553 against lefties. This year, the opposite: he has an .805 OPS against lefties, and a .637 against righties.

In 159 at bats, Heisey has 1 homer this year. Last season in 279 at bats, he had 18 homers.

Maybe he's still a victim of small sample size and it will just take longer and more consistent playing time to see what kind of player he is. Talented player, but there's no consistent pattern with him.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Heisey

His splits before this year were a product of a small sample size more than anything. He hit lefties better in the minors too, IIRC.

I still think the Reds would be better if they could trade Stubbs for a legit LFer and play Heisey full time in CF. I don't think Heisey is better than Stubbs, but I think you'll get a lot more for Stubbs than Heisey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    His splits before this year were a product of a small sample size more than anything. He hit lefties better in the minors too, IIRC.

I still think the Reds would be better if they could trade Stubbs for a legit LFer and play Heisey full time in CF. I don't think Heisey is better than Stubbs, but I think you'll get a lot more for Stubbs than Heisey.
    We are exceptionally short on OF.

If we trade for one, we need to keep the ones we have.

New LF/Stubbs/Heisey/Bruce/Ludwick looks so much better than we have now.

The lack of power this year is what's been perplexing to me. I keep thinking that will change, but it's halfway through June.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Heisey's a good fourth outfielder.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Heisey's a good fourth outfielder.
    Agreed.

Heisey is a important piece of this team.

He plays all 3 OF spots with above average D and could be put in any of them for a long period of time without much nail biting. Has a good not great arm. Is an excellent pinch hitter. Has more speed than his SB #'s show. Is an excellent clubhouse guy from what I hear. Has more power than his numbers are showing this year and will be very affordable for years to come.

He would be a very hard man for me to trade if I was Jocketty. LaMarre or Smith might be someone in the next couple of years who could fill his shoes, but until your sure they can, I really love him as the 4th OF.

I agree that he is a good 4th OF. The problem is that we have 2 4th OF. Heisey and Ludwick. I also think that by the end of the year we will see his HR total be somewhat close to what we thought it should be. IMO I think it will sort of sneak up on us. . The guy has decent power, a very suitable replacement for Stubbs at the moment.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We are exceptionally short on OF.

If we trade for one, we need to keep the ones we have.

New LF/Stubbs/Heisey/Bruce/Ludwick looks so much better than we have now.
    Except with Rolen nearing a return, Frazier will take some of those ABs. If they can get a guy who should clearly play against RHP added to the mix, then one of Stubbs, Heisey, or Ludwick needs to go. There just won't be roster spots or PAs with Valdez, Cairo and the 2nd catcher taking 3 of the 5 bench spots.

My preference is to trade a minor leaguer or two for some one like Dejesus, Venable or some other platoon against RHP type and deal Ludwick for a PTBNL and salary relief, but if dealing Stubbs or Heisey instead allows the Reds to get something better for LF, then by all means, do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I like Heisey. He's an underdog.
    We won't know what kind of player he is until he gets more ABs and Dusty isn't really that inclined to do so. In that sense he reminds me of Chris Denorfia, who is a useful player (.746 lifetime OPS with good D).
    I'd keep Heisey and dump Ludwick (who never should have been signed) and/or trade Stubbs. Stubbs, IMO, has proven sufficiently that he cannot hit.
    We could do better than Heisey? Sure, but we already have two OFs who are worse.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Only thing about Heisey that does seem clear is that he could walk more. He has 41 career walks in 703 plate appearances. Career OBP is .313.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Only thing about Heisey that does seem clear is that he could walk more. He has 41 career walks in 703 plate appearances. Career OBP is .313.
    41 career walks in 703 plate appearances, isnt that Juan Francisco territory

He's looking better. This is really the first time he's getting regular ABs. I'd withhold judgment for awhile.I like his all-around game and his hardnosed style, so I'm glad he's getting this shot.

From what I am seeing of Heisey on an everyday basis is that I like him. He plays a good enough CF and his bat is starting to come around. At this point I would rather see him play than watch Stubbs strikout at least twice a game and totally refuse to cutdown on his swing with 2 strikes. This what I would do when Rolen comes back; Make Heisey the regular CF,play Frazier in LF and Stubbs the 4th Of. If Rolen continues where he left off before this latest DL time then put Frazier back at 3rd,Stubbs in CF and Heisey in LF. I'll send this idea right over to Dusty and I'm sure he will approve.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except with Rolen nearing a return, Frazier will take some of those ABs. If they can get a guy who should clearly play against RHP added to the mix, then one of Stubbs, Heisey, or Ludwick needs to go. There just won't be roster spots or PAs with Valdez, Cairo and the 2nd catcher taking 3 of the 5 bench spots.

My preference is to trade a minor leaguer or two for some one like Dejesus, Venable or some other platoon against RHP type and deal Ludwick for a PTBNL and salary relief, but if dealing Stubbs or Heisey instead allows the Reds to get something better for LF, then by all means, do it.
    While I'm open for an upgrade, I don't think any of the 4 OF needs to go.
    Rolen comes back and displaces Negron (or maybe Stubbs goes on the DL, but eventually Negron goes).

Since Rolen got hurt, the 25th man on the roster has been a black hole (Negron, Constanzo).. IMO, Valdez is worth keeping. The bench will be a lot better when Rolen comes back.. if Frasier ends up seeing time in LF, then both Heisey and Ludwick are available off the bench.

Still a shortage of LH hitting, but Rolen coming off the DL will help us (hopefully he will hit adequately.. with his defense, he can hit at Ludwick/Hiesey levels if Frasier plays LF, then it's an upgradE).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The splits thing has been vastly overblown, based on what amounts to reading tea leaves in small samples. But in aggregate, we basically knew what kind of hitter he is. He's got pretty good power, but he won't hit for a ton of contact and won't work many walks. When you don't make a ton of contact and you're reliant on power (which by nature happens less frequently), you're a recipe for streakiness.

Last year we saw the upside of that streakiness -- HRs in bunches. This years we're seeing the downside. The "real" Heisey is that guy in the middle; one who hits about .260/.315/.435 and plays solid defense. Over the course of a season, you get decent production, but in shorter stretches, you roll the dice.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?