Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto's Second PA against Lowe

Votto's Second PA against Lowe

I haven't seen anything like this... Not from Votto, anyone on the Reds, nor any opponent.

For those who didn't see it, he never stepped out of the batters box, didn't swing at a single pitch, and the only time his bat moved was the practice cut he always does after he takes a pitch. He was ready for the next pitch within seconds of the catcher throwing it back to Lowe.

Any theories on this? Mind games? Challenging Lowe for working "too fast"?

One of the pitches nearly hit Votto, about shoulder height as if to get back at his tactics.

I wasn't able to see the post game to see if he was asked about the PA, but that was about as bizarre a walk as I've ever seen. Supposedly there is some bad blood between Dusty and Lowe.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto's Second PA against Lowe

I've seen Votto do that before, as far as not getting out of the box between pitches and looking immediately ready for the next pitch. He seems to get pretty locked in and just wants to stay right were he is.

A lot of good hitters will try to take a pitcher out of their comfort zone and pitchers vice versa. D. Lowe is one the fastest working pitchers in the league and JV was probably just trying to make him think about it little bit.

Of all people, Urban Meyer (Buckeyes head football coach) made that comment while in the FSO booth last night. He noticed before Thom and Chris did.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Of all people, Urban Meyer (Buckeyes head football coach) made that comment while in the FSO booth last night. He noticed before Thom and Chris did.
    Immediately after Votto jogged to first FOX played a fast speed replay of his at bat...then they switched back to see Votto get thrown out trying to steal. Urban did not notice before them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Immediately after Votto jogged to first FOX played a fast speed replay of his at bat...then they switched back to see Votto get thrown out trying to steal. Urban did not notice before them.
    Yeah I thought the timing of that was kind of funny. It was almost like Urban was watching the telecast right before he went into the box. Transition was about perfect.

In any event, that Votto kid is pretty good.

Is there any video of this out there? I missed it and would like to see!
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Is there any video of this out there? I missed it and would like to see!
    It's still on my DVR. I don't know how to get it from there to youtube, and I'm not even sure if there are legal issues preventing me from sharing it there anyway.

Lowe paced around the rubber between most pitches. He didn't seem to make a lot of eye contact but his body language was definitely rushed. Votto's eyes never strayed from Lowe either. I have to imagine this made him feel uncomfortable.

Votto has is unbelievable amount of maturity as a baseball player, I just saw this PA as a microcosm of how aware and focused his approach to the game is.

I seen it as a jab at Lowe over the dusty/ Lowe argument....I might be looking to far into it but I seen it as "hey, if you wanna hit me, I'm right me"

Again, that could be looking way to far into it...off the top of my head I can't remember if this happened before or after Latos buzzed him.

I think Joey has a little Pete Rose in him when it comes to being competitive.

Don't forget that Votto is the one that Lowe hit in 09.

Votto strikes me as the type to not forget that kind of thing.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Choo got it, dude.

Turn Off Ads?