Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 6/14

Birthdays: 6/14

Reds:

Jerry Spradlin (45) -The Carlos Fisher of the 1990s.

Don Newcombe (86) -A Red in 1959. Great pitcher and quite a hitter, too... In 1955 he hit .359 with 7 homers in only 117 ABs; maybe the best hitting season for any pitcher ever.

Others:

Herb Plews (84) -Utility IF...Hit only four homers in his career, but two of them were off of Jim Bunning...When the Boston Red Sox became the last team to integrate, Herb was the player they sent down to make room for Pumpsie Green.

Fenton Mole (86) -Herb Plews is a pretty bad name for a ballplayer, but not as bad as Fenton Mole...You'd expect a guy with this name to be a little, squinty, kind of sneaky guy, but Fenton was a big,power-hitting first baseman whose nickname was "Muscles". He was on Casey Stengel's first Yankee team; but not for long.

George Myatt -Myatt had three cool nicknames: "Foghorn", "Mercury", and "Stud", which is what he called everybody during his long career as a player, manager and coach....When he was a young player on the West Coast, the Red Sox sent former great 2B Eddie Collins to scout him, but Eddie saw a young player named Ted Williams while he was there and the rest is history.

Dick McBride -This guy goes way back to pre-professional days; I mention him because at one point he was excused from the Civil War so he could go home and pitch in a crucial series, which I think is kind of cool.
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 06-14-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 6/14

Virginia Beach Reds (39)

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds View Post
    Virginia Beach Reds (39)
    Happy Birthday! 39 again heh?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

All year long...last one in the 30s...

Me too. I turn 48 today, which is strange, since I turned 49 last year.

I didn't realize I shared a birthday with Newk. For some reason I thought that ex-catcher Fran Healy's birthday was today, but it isn't. Not sure who I'm confusing him with. Maybe the singer for Travis.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I forgot to mention...Don Newcombe was the first player to win a Rookie of The Year, a Cy Young Award and an MVP. He really has a better case for the Hall than you might think.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Hope you had good birthdays Virginia Beach Reds and Marcshoe!

By the way, Fran Healy's birthday is September 6.

Turn Off Ads?