Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Henry Rodriguez

Henry Rodriguez

Jays Fan here. I'm interested to find out about your second base prospect. I know he's a pretty good offensive player, but some "experts" suggest that his defense isn't very good. Just looking at his stats it looks like he has made definate improvement though. How would you guys evaluate his defensive tools, average above average, is his problem lack of focus?

Finally, what would you guys say his availability would be in a trade with Phillips signed long term? What would it take from my Blue Jays to get a deal done theoretically?

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Henry Rodriguez

He has actually been playing third base all year and his defense has been solid over there. Right now he is on the DL with a broken thumb (required surgery). I am sure he would be available, but I can't say how easily he would be attained. I honestly don't know how much the Reds value him.

I'd say he could be had for Lind and maybe a prospect considering Lind's current value (maube another piece from both sides to balance it out).. I'd hope the Reds might want alot for Rodriguez considering his OBP skills, ability to switch-hit and possible hole at 3B, but by the looks of the Reds lineup/roster, they don't seem to vaue OBP much so the Jays might get him cheap.

What do you think the Jays might offer?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has actually been playing third base all year and his defense has been solid over there. Right now he is on the DL with a broken thumb (required surgery). I am sure he would be available, but I can't say how easily he would be attained. I honestly don't know how much the Reds value him.
    Thanks Doug.

What would you say your team's needs are either on the roster or orginizationally?

Quote Originally Posted by JaysFanToronto View Post
    Thanks Doug.

What would you say your team's needs are either on the roster or orginizationally?
    Not Doug, but I'd say it would be a bat who can hit cleanup and protect Votto and a leadoff hitter to get on base consisitently ahead of Joey. LF, 3B, SS, CF (in that order). Get us a CF who can leadoff, get on base at a .350+ clip, play decent defense and maybe we'll let you have Drew Stubbs too. Seriously though IMO, quality corner OF (LF) bats would be our biggest need.

Do the Jays need bullpen arms?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-14-2012 at 06:35 PM.

I should preface this by saying I don't speak for all Jays fans or have no insight into the orginizations mindset.

The closest thing we have to a middle of the order hitter who could be available would be Encarnacion, and I'm not sure you guys would want to go down that road again.

If you would want Lind, we would probably throw in a prospect as a kicker. Moises Sierra is a power hitting right fielder we have in AAA. Travis Snider also has some potential but has yet to meet it.

I'd say apart from the prime time prospects like D'Aranud or Marisnick, Sierra probably has the best chance among the B prospects of being something, and Snider is still only 23.

I'm not sure how inclined the Jays would be to trade him, but I would move Escobar for a package including Rodriguez. He's a good defensive shortstop, gets on base, and can be a leadoff hitter, plus he's signed for the next 4 years at 8m total, though he;s struggling this year.

As far as bullpen arms, we do have a need with Santos out, but we need elite bullpen arms. We have a lot of crap in there aside from Jannsen, Oliver, Frasor, and Perez. Hopefully we can fill within the organization with a guy like John Stilson, or maybe even the recently drafted Marcus Stroman.

Thanks for the insight guys. I was hoping for my team to acquire Jose Altuve last year before he became a household name, and somehow I get that same feeling about Rodriguez.
    Last edited by JaysFanToronto; 06-14-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Actually right now I think Id go down the Encarnacion road again. Right now that is
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

I should preface this by saying I don't speak for all Jays fans or have no insight into the orginizations mindset.

The closest thing we have to a middle of the order hitter who could be available would be Encarnacion, and I'm not sure you guys would want to go down that road again.

If you would want Lind, we would probably throw in a prospect as a kicker. Moises Sierra is a power hitting right fielder we have in AAA. Travis Snider also has some potential but has yet to meet it.

I'd say apart from the prime time prospects like D'Aranud or Marisnick, Sierra probably has the best chance among the B prospects of being something, and Snider is still only 23.

I'm not sure how inclined the Jays would be to trade him, but I would move Escobar for a package including Rodriguez. He's a good defensive shortstop, gets on base, and can be a leadoff hitter, plus he's signed for the next 4 years at 8m total, though he;s struggling this year.

As far as bullpen arms, we do have a need with Santos out, but we need elite bullpen arms. We have a lot of crap in there aside from Jannsen, Oliver, Frasor, and Perez. Hopefully we can fill within the organization with a guy like John Stilson, or maybe even the recently drafted Marcus Stroman.

Thanks for the insight guys. I was hoping for my team to acquire Jose Altuve last year before he became a household name, and somehow I get that same feeling about Rodriguez.
    Reason I asked about relievers, they wouldn't be closer material, but we have some pretty decent middle relief guys and the brain trust might include one in a deal. I surely can't speak for the Reds, but I'd be interested in a deal that expands to include Escobar.

E5 really is hitting well this year, you're right. I just thought you guys would have bad memories about him. Right now he's arguably our best hitter FWIW

I surely can't speak for the Reds, but I'd be interested in a deal that expands to include Escobar.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Esco's struggling this year, but he's steady defensively, is signed to a very team firendly deal, and is only a year removed from posting a .345 WOBA and 43 WAR.

I would dnot be opposed to trading him though, because we have a replacement, a guy in AAA named Hechavarria who is the shortstop of the future for us, and he's tearing the cover off the ball (albeit in the PCL).

Kelly Johnson could also be a leadoff type left fielder for you guys, but his strikeout rate is atrocious.

I'm surprised the Reds org doesn't seem that high on Rodriguez. Aside from the makeup concerns, is there some other reason?

Speaking of EE, when the Reds got him, they also got Ruben Mateo, who is currently playing Mexican ball with a few other ex-Major Leaguers and doing quite well at age 34.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Speaking of EE, when the Reds got him, they also got Ruben Mateo, who is currently playing Mexican ball with a few other ex-Major Leaguers and doing quite well at age 34.
    Wait, can a former Major Leaguer be "playing Mexican ball" and "doing quite well" at the same time? Those things would seem to cancel each other out.

Kenny Powers agrees.

As for Henry Rodriguez, I'm very intrigued by him. He was having a killer year at AA before the injury. Hopefully he can get back soon. I like that he can play third or second (not just second).

I surely can't speak for the Reds, but I'd be interested in a deal that expands to include Escobar.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Esco's struggling this year, but he's steady defensively, is signed to a very team firendly deal, and is only a year removed from posting a .345 WOBA and 43 WAR.

I would dnot be opposed to trading him though, because we have a replacement, a guy in AAA named Hechavarria who is the shortstop of the future for us, and he's tearing the cover off the ball (albeit in the PCL).

Kelly Johnson could also be a leadoff type left fielder for you guys, but his strikeout rate is atrocious.

I'm surprised the Reds org doesn't seem that high on Rodriguez. Aside from the makeup concerns, is there some other reason?

Who says they are not that high on him? He has been hitting everywhere he goes and I have not read anywhere about any makeup issues.

I also believe Rodriguez is somewhat undervalued, at least around here.

A 22 year old switch-hitting 3B who has OPS'd >.830 at an advanced level over the last two years is worth something. Given that he used to be a 2B, I'd assume his defense is pretty good at the hot corner. I'm looking forward to him returning from injury and seeing what he can do in AAA.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Enquirer article about Henry's promotion seems to indicate he could help the big club as early as this year. One can dream of a switch hitting rookie showing up in September and making the playoff roster with a .350 average.

Turn Off Ads?