Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dumb Question: What Exactly is "Extended Spring Training"?

Dumb Question: What Exactly is "Extended Spring Training"?

I am embarrassed to ask this, but I hear this expression all the time, and never really understood what it is. I understand what Spring Training is, but what goes on in Extended Spring Training?

I assume normal conditioning takes place, as well as working on skills and fundamentals, etc. But what about games? Are they playing intrasquad games? Are they playing against other teams holding extended spring training?

How many players are currently in extended spring training? Can I find a list of what players are in extended spring training? Are there any websites that give coverage of what is going on in extended spring training?

Sorry for the questions, but I am curious.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Dumb Question: What Exactly is "Extended Spring Training"?

It is basically just a season that doesn't count. There aren't exact rules, but most of the time they are playing games just like they would in the regular season. They do play against other teams.

No website covers it. I doubt you are going to find any 'rosters' for it either. I have seen notes from EST three times this year so far and that is the most I can remember, ever.

Basically, it is a set up where unassigned players, rookies, and sometimes injured players are sent to the team's ST complex and they play games against the same types of players from other teams.

It typically lasts through mid-June and, afterwards, those players are either assigned to an affiliated minor league/rookie team or are sent packing.

To piggy back Doug's answer…

It consists of the players that are not game ready for full season ball yet. It can consist of injured MiL or MLB players, but mostly a lot of Dominican’s, Venezuelan’s, and last year’s high school and JUCO draft class.

It is pretty much all about workouts and games. The workouts are just what you would imagine, basic fundamentals. So many of these kids are so raw that being in the right place for cut-offs is hard, or OF’ers one hopping catchers on plays at the plate, and a lot of PFP (pitchers fielding practice). Pitchers are learning to build up arm strength, and hitters are practicing fundamentals.

The games aren’t reported much for a few reasons. One, the rules are extremely lax. If your starting pitcher goes out and walks the first four batters on 20 pitches, the manager usually “rolls” the inning. Which means the inning is over once they hit their pitch count and don’t want to make a sub. I’d say at least one inning gets rolled a game. This means the score is meaningless. You never see big innings in Ext. spring because of this.

Big league hitters will come down and bat every inning in games. I was at a game when A-Rod was rehabbing and he led off every inning. Another game had Jose Tabata rehabbing his hamstring and he wouldn’t run after hitting the ball. He drilled a liner off the wall in one AB, and just walked off the field because he was just getting his timing down.

In FL, you only play teams in your division. So take the Phillies (Clearwater), they only play the Pirates (Bradenton), Blue Jays (Dunedin), Braves (Orlando), Yankees (Tampa). This was the same for the GCL division. You get to know those guys really well.

You also learn how to apply sun screen and visit a dermatologist yearly.

That’s all I got for now.

Thanks for all your answers. I never knew either exactly what extended spring training was all about.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yes, thanks! I only wish there were some coverage of it somewhere - just to see how certain players are doing.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?