Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton

Just read the big SI piece on him (a week old). All in all don't really like the guy...when he's not on a bender (which he was for much of his earlier life), he's all religious and that's how he controls it. I'd rather a guy just man up and get control of his life himself.

Now, none of that has to do with his ability to hit a baseball, he's one of the best at that. But given his situation in 2007, not so sure I can second-guess the Reds' decision to try to get starting pitching for him. That didn't work out for the Reds, but at that time Hamilton's career could have easily been on the edge of crashing and burning like Ryan Leaf's. Rangers rolled the dice and came out winners, for now. The way it goes sometimes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Hamilton

Why would it bother you whether or not he invokes religious faith as a means of dealing with his vices?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Why would it bother you whether or not he invokes religious faith as a means of dealing with his vices?
    yea im not sure

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post

Probably not a great discussion for a sports board, I was on the fence whether to start it, but since I did...basically I think it's a crutch that let's him avoid the real reasons why he needed drugs and alcohol in his life, and also using religion instead of your own will/mind to control yourself, is more likely to lead to recurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Probably not a great discussion for a sports board, I was on the fence whether to start it, but since I did...basically I think it's a crutch that let's him avoid the real reasons why he needed drugs and alcohol in his life, and also using religion instead of your own will/mind to control yourself, is more likely to lead to recurrence.
    Sounds like psychobabble to me. I assume you're not religious. Neither am I. However, lots of people find strength in religious faith, and if they do, more power to them. Hamilton admittedly was not religious before he got into drugs. Now he is, and although he's had some relapses, he apparently has not gone back to drugs. If his faith helps him deal with things, that's great for him.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I am not religious, but at the same rate I like to say "whatever works for you is best."

If Josh Hamilton can use his faith to make himself a better person and get his problems under control, I am happy for him. I don't, but I see no issue with him doing it. It's his faith, and he has every right in my opinion.

Also, I don't see why using faith to help yourself will lead to recurrence more than otherwise. Addiction is a crazy and evil beast. Whatever you can do to fight it, you must do. I am happy for him that he got his life under control, no matter the means.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Rubbish. Kindly keep your anti-faith bigotry off the board in the future.

PS You were only half right in your first comment. It's totally innappropriate for this board.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post

PS You were only half right in your first comment. It's totally innappropriate for this board.
    Well said. Using religious faith to get control of an addiction is "manning up" as you put it.

It's not totally inappropriate for this board at all, it just belongs in the religion/politics forum.

A well-reasoned and cogent argument, sir. You have truly shown me the light.

First he never claimed to be anti-faith. Still, if he was anti-faith how is that bigoted?

If anything, you're response shows more bigotry and lack of tolerance than anything the OP posted.

I have absolutely NO CLUE as to why anyone would think that someone else whom uses their religion/faith as a means to curb something very negative in their life is a "bad" thing

Whether anyone else "believes" or not is none of my concern. But if said belief gives them a sort of "power" and helps them to overcome their negative(s) (In Josh's case, severe drug-addiction), and said belief(s) are not hurting anyone else, how in this great big ole world is that a BAD thing AT ALL? Man, I just can not understand that line of thinking personally.

I'm FAR from the biggest proponent of organized religion, but I have seen, time and time again, many people use it as their way of dealing with and overcoming drug addiction issues as well as a whole array of other negative things they had in their lives (sometimes things that have had NOTHING to do w/drug addiction or the like whatsoever). Just exactly how this translates to a BAD thing, I'm not exactly comprehending here.

Can "over-doing" (so-to-speak) one's "religious zealousness" BE a negative thing? Sure. But in this particular case (Hamilton's drug issues) and in many other cases in which people whom find religion become better people and attribute said positive changes in at least part/some form to said religion/faith, then I find that a very positive thing.

Strictly in reference to drug-addiction, some folks find that a trip or two (or more) to rehabilitation clinics/programs does the trick. Or counseling. Some people simply have amazing willpower. Others find and attribute their sobriety to their faith (religiously speaking). Addiction is a VERY EVIL beast and it is one for those whom suffer from it in which a "not-one-size-fits-all", so to speak, method(s) will work. Some people find sobriety while NEVER simultaneously "finding" or "turning to" religion. Others who choose to turn towards religious belief and faith sometimes find that that does the trick.

Bottom line here: whatever gets Josh Hamilton through another sober day and helps him keep those personal demons of his at bay while simultaneously not causing any harm whatsoever to anyone else is nothing but an absolute POSITIVE thing in my personal book of belief. I simply find it difficult to comprehend that anyone could see it, especially in this particular example, in any other way.

PS You were only half right in your first comment. It's totally inappropriate for this board.
    Completely agree.

Yeah, I personally find religion to be really stupid but if he keeps it to himself and it helps him stay away from destructive materials then, hey, good for him.

I like baseball. He is one of the best.

That is all.

Turn Off Ads?