Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen question

Scott Rolen question

I see that Scott Rolen is making his first rehab start tonight at Louisville. So let me ask this. Should Rolen start when he comes back?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Rolen question

I have to admit I'm not enthralled with the idea given how Philips is hitting his stride in the middle of the order and the way Frazier has been hitting. However, it's a foregone conclusion that Rolen will start, so I've given up on wasting my time and energy complaining about it.

Should...not a chance...but he will, he will be back to the everyday 3rd basemen upon his return...bank on it.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

No. He acknowledged that he was hurting the team before.

How has anything changed?

Yeah I think you give him a week or two to show that his shoulder is letting him swing the bat. Maybe start 3/5 games at 3rd and when Rolen is starting Frazier is out in LF. Although the Sun Deck will, we shouldn't judge him on a few at bats. If after a period of time it's apparent that he still can't turn on a fastball and has to cheat to catch up to them, then he becomes a guy that starts less than half of the games from there on out.

We know he gives us a lot of value on defense, he just needs to show that the treatment on his shoulder has helped him out.

I would just hope that Dusty will drop Rolen into the six or seven spot in the order when he comes back rather than tinkering with the roll the Phillips is on at this point in time.

Rolen (if healthy) should probably play 6 of every 9 at 3rd when he comes back with Frazier picking up 3 starts in left. At least when he does come back the Reds will be in Cleveland and he should not take any at bats from Frazier. After the Cleveland series the Reds go on to play 17 straight with 11 of those coming on the road on the dreaded West Coast tour.

Cincy needs to find out if Rolen has anything left, so he should play 3b at least 10 of those games with Frazier picking the other 7 at 3b and maybe another 6 in left. A healthy Scott Rolen would be a nice problem to have but the guy needs to be taken care of to get the most out of him. One thing for certain is our bench will be a lot stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I would just hope that Dusty will drop Rolen into the six or seven spot in the order when he comes back rather than tinkering with the roll the Phillips is on at this point in time.
    I don't think there's any chance Dusty would move Phillips outta the 4 spot right now.

Scott Rolen:

2011: .242/.279/.397/.676 (269 PA) (Age 36)

2012: .174/.238/.304/.542 (101 PA) (Age 37)

Todd Frazier:

2012: .276/.338/.577/.915 (136 PA) (Age 26)

Paul Janish:

2010: .260/.338/.385/.723 (228 PA) (Age 27)

There's actually more reason to sit Cozart down and give Paul Janish another trial at SS, than to give Rolen another shot at 3B.

And one last kick at this dead horse....how was Rolen playing GG defense like 96% of RedsZone thought he was (pre-surgery).....when he stated that he couldn't even drive his car effectively with that shoulder?

Last edited by malcontent; 06-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    No. He acknowledged that he was hurting the team before.

How has anything changed?
    he said that while he's hurt. yea he will play.

Hang your data at the door, boy.

You're in RedsZone now.

I am not sure how a month's rest is going to bring back his bat speed when a winter's rest didn't. It would be nice to see one last Rolen renaissance. Odds are long though.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I am not sure how a month's rest is going to bring back his bat speed when a winter's rest didn't. It would be nice to see one last Rolen renaissance. Odds are long though.
    of course but that was not the question

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    of course but that was not the question
    You know how these threads wind around. They rarely ever finish where they start.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Scott Rolen:

2011: .242/.279/.397/.676 (269 PA) (Age 36)

2012: .174/.238/.304/.542 (101 PA) (Age 37)

Todd Frazier:

2012: .276/.338/.577/.915 (136 PA) (Age 26)

Paul Janish:

2010: .260/.338/.385/.723 (228 PA) (Age 27)

There's actually more reason to sit Cozart down and give Paul Janish another trial at SS, than to give Rolen another shot at 3B.

And one last kick at this dead horse....how was Rolen playing GG defense like 96% of RedsZone thought he was (pre-surgery).....when he stated that he couldn't even drive his car effectively with that shoulder?

Makes you wonder how they can justify taking Frazier out of the lineup.

Turn Off Ads?