Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scott Rolen question

I see that Scott Rolen is making his first rehab start tonight at Louisville. So let me ask this. Should Rolen start when he comes back?

Re: Scott Rolen question

I have to admit I'm not enthralled with the idea given how Philips is hitting his stride in the middle of the order and the way Frazier has been hitting. However, it's a foregone conclusion that Rolen will start, so I've given up on wasting my time and energy complaining about it.

Should...not a chance...but he will, he will be back to the everyday 3rd basemen upon his return...bank on it.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

No. He acknowledged that he was hurting the team before.

How has anything changed?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    No. He acknowledged that he was hurting the team before.

How has anything changed?
    he said that while he's hurt. yea he will play.

Yeah I think you give him a week or two to show that his shoulder is letting him swing the bat. Maybe start 3/5 games at 3rd and when Rolen is starting Frazier is out in LF. Although the Sun Deck will, we shouldn't judge him on a few at bats. If after a period of time it's apparent that he still can't turn on a fastball and has to cheat to catch up to them, then he becomes a guy that starts less than half of the games from there on out.

We know he gives us a lot of value on defense, he just needs to show that the treatment on his shoulder has helped him out.

I would just hope that Dusty will drop Rolen into the six or seven spot in the order when he comes back rather than tinkering with the roll the Phillips is on at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I would just hope that Dusty will drop Rolen into the six or seven spot in the order when he comes back rather than tinkering with the roll the Phillips is on at this point in time.
    I don't think there's any chance Dusty would move Phillips outta the 4 spot right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Whoa, dude.

You know it's a foregone conclusion and don't want to waste time or energy complaining about it?

I say when the future HOFer comes back he should be spared the indignity of batting any lower than cleanup.

It's his game after all.

When Rolen is in the lineup he will bat 6th, just as Frazier does now. On days when Frazier is in LF he will bat 7th.

yes rolen is all heart a great leader a wonderful citizen and all that poppycock, he just cant play baseball but who cares about that

Quote Originally Posted by read favorite View Post
    yes rolen is all heart a great leader a wonderful citizen and all that poppycock, he just cant play baseball but who cares about that
    Rolen dashboard bobblehead >>> Plastic Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Whoa, dude.

You know it's a foregone conclusion and don't want to waste time or energy complaining about it?
    It's not a complaint - yet.

Rolen (if healthy) should probably play 6 of every 9 at 3rd when he comes back with Frazier picking up 3 starts in left. At least when he does come back the Reds will be in Cleveland and he should not take any at bats from Frazier. After the Cleveland series the Reds go on to play 17 straight with 11 of those coming on the road on the dreaded West Coast tour.

Cincy needs to find out if Rolen has anything left, so he should play 3b at least 10 of those games with Frazier picking the other 7 at 3b and maybe another 6 in left. A healthy Scott Rolen would be a nice problem to have but the guy needs to be taken care of to get the most out of him. One thing for certain is our bench will be a lot stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    Rolen (if healthy) should probably play 6 of every 9 at 3rd when he comes back with Frazier picking up 3 starts in left. At least when he does come back the Reds will be in Cleveland and he should not take any at bats from Frazier. After the Cleveland series the Reds go on to play 17 straight with 11 of those coming on the road on the dreaded West Coast tour.

Cincy needs to find out if Rolen has anything left, so he should play 3b at least 10 of those games with Frazier picking the other 7 at 3b and maybe another 6 in left. A healthy Scott Rolen would be a nice problem to have but the guy needs to be taken care of to get the most out of him. One thing for certain is our bench will be a lot stronger.
    I'm with you on the bench strengthening. IF Rolen can play 3B, that gives you Hiesey, Frazier, Stubbs, and Ludwick to share the other OF spots or bench duty.
    Valdez is playing for his baseball life and hanging in there. So, he too, becomes yet another option. Now if they can all get/stay healthy.....

Turn Off Ads?