Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Trade idea

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2

    Trade idea

    Would it be possible to offer a bullpen arm, Heisey, and a minor league arm to basically rent Ichiro for the rest of the season, since his contract is up in 2012. It would give us a proven leadoff hitter and outstanding OF defense, in an effort to win the world series. I think it's the most glaring hole on this roster along with the cleanup spot. The cleanup spot seems like it's going to be difficult to fill at the trading deadline. I'm aware that Ichiro has been on the decline but I think there's enough left in the tank to make him a valuable piece to a championship. What do you guys think?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: Trade idea

    The problem is that Ichiro isn't the Ichrio we're used to. He's getting on base at a .290 clip. That's obviously better than Cozart as leadoff (although I think he's improving), but it's not worlds better.

    Are you willing to trade Heisey and a major league bullpen arm and a minor leaguer for an old guy that gets on base basically one more time every 33 at-bats than the guy you have leading off right now? I don't think that is at all worth it. I'd much rather see a move for someone like Dexter Fowler.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    961

    Re: Trade idea

    That would be massively overpaying for a guy earning $17 million (they would have to eat all of his salary) with a lower OBP than Heisey and who's 38. Besides, as a probable future HOFer, I imagine he'd like to remain in Seattle to finish his career as a Mariner.

    Heisey is valuable as a cost-controlled outfielder with good pinch hitting skills, and we need to save where we can after signing Votto and Phillips to such massive contracts.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2

    Re: Trade idea

    Oh it goes without saying their gonna eat the contract. The bullpen becomes crowded when Bray and Massett return, so i don't view that as hurting us very much and a low level pitching prospect wouldn't really effect us at all. I guess I'd just be more comfortable with the idea of Ichiro hitting for us in the playoffs as opposed to Heisey. Anyways just spitballing

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    961

    Re: Trade idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Birbdareddaddy View Post
    Oh it goes without saying their gonna eat the contract. The bullpen becomes crowded when Bray and Massett return, so i don't view that as hurting us very much and a low level pitching prospect wouldn't really effect us at all. I guess I'd just be more comfortable with the idea of Ichiro hitting for us in the playoffs as opposed to Heisey. Anyways just spitballing
    No problem, and I do think he'd be a very cool addition, but the package you suggested could fetch a Shane Victorino or more depending on the value of the minor league arm.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    341

    Re: Trade idea

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    The problem is that Ichiro isn't the Ichrio we're used to. He's getting on base at a .290 clip. That's obviously better than Cozart as leadoff (although I think he's improving), but it's not worlds better.

    Are you willing to trade Heisey and a major league bullpen arm and a minor leaguer for an old guy that gets on base basically one more time every 33 at-bats than the guy you have leading off right now? I don't think that is at all worth it. I'd much rather see a move for someone like Dexter Fowler.
    I'm a big Fowler fan too but he's part of the strong young nucleus the Rockies have with Tulo and Cargo and there is no way they're going to let him go. Even though I love Pete Rose, I would have loved to have seen Ichiro in this league since age 20.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    361

    Re: Trade idea

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    That would be massively overpaying for a guy earning $17 million (they would have to eat all of his salary) with a lower OBP than Heisey and who's 38. Besides, as a probable future HOFer, I imagine he'd like to remain in Seattle to finish his career as a Mariner.

    Heisey is valuable as a cost-controlled outfielder with good pinch hitting skills, and we need to save where we can after signing Votto and Phillips to such massive contracts.

    Future HOF'er? I don't think so. His offensive numbers don't hold up. He was a great defensive player, but at a non-premium defensive position. Only went to the post-season once, and never played in a WS. He has only played 12 seasons in MLB. Hall of very good.

  9. #8
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Future HOF'er? I don't think so. His offensive numbers don't hold up. He was a great defensive player, but at a non-premium defensive position. Only went to the post-season once, and never played in a WS. He has only played 12 seasons in MLB. Hall of very good.
    He will be in the HOF..... He wins gold glove after gold glove as one of, if not the best OF for over decade, tremendous baserunner and the most hits over virtually any timeframe from one month to 12 years.

    He will be in the HOF.....EASILY

    Never misses a game and will likely still get to 3,000 hits.

    No one gives a crap about your OB%, OPS or whatever else when you get to 3,000 hits.

    See Roberto Clemente.
    Last edited by Ironman92; 06-16-2012 at 11:49 AM.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: Trade idea

    Even if he doesn't get to 3,000 hits the guy is going to the Hall of Fame. Like Ironman says, that is a no-brainer.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: Trade idea

    Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    I'm a big Fowler fan too but he's part of the strong young nucleus the Rockies have with Tulo and Cargo and there is no way they're going to let him go. Even though I love Pete Rose, I would have loved to have seen Ichiro in this league since age 20.
    Probably so, but if you're going to give up as much as the OP is suggesting, I'd rather see it done to try and get a promising youngster than Ichiro, who clearly has almost nothing left in the tank.

  12. #11
    EMAW
    Guest

    Re: Trade idea

    The Mariners would get clobbered by the media in Seattle for trading Ichiro
    More realistic move might be David DeJesus, actively being shopped by the Cubs

  13. #12
    Member Tuff Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NW, Tn.
    Posts
    301

    Re: Trade idea

    Why is everyone wanting to trade Heisey? I'd much prefer his bat to the wasted pickup called Ryan Ludwick, and he is playing better than Stubbs.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: Trade idea

    One guy threw Heisey in as a trade suggestion. Does that qualify as everyone? FWIW, that wasted pickup has outperformed Heisey this season.

  15. #14
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,077

    Re: Trade idea

    I don't think the Reds need to (or are in any position to) make any trades. They were one of the worst offenses in baseball for the first month of the season. They are now solidly in the middle, and they are starting to heat up (as balls start flying more and more out of GABP). If our pitching stays top 10 (and top 5 like they are right now) the Reds will be just fine.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ironton, OH
    Posts
    522

    Re: Trade idea

    Reds have the top offense in the NL for the month of June, at least thats what I think I saw on the game last night. Reds should sit tight and see how the team enters the break. A trade now would be a huge overpay since so many teams are still in the hunt. I think the next 3 weeks will see some teams fade out of contention and loosen up the market.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25