Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Unsigned Draft Picks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unsigned Draft Picks

I expect all of the CWS draft picks to sign immediately upon eligibility. The guy I am most hoping for still up in the air is Zach Vincej, the shortstop from Pepperdine. He was his conference's defensive player of the year and hit much better this season than he had. In fact, I believe he is a finalist (final 5) for the shortstop of the year on the national level.

Couple things here: Why did he last until the 37th round? He probably made it clear that he wanted x dollars or would return to Pepperdine, and no one wanted to give him that so no one drafted him until the Reds took him just to have negotiating rights late in the draft.

Secondly, boy oh boy do the Reds need shortstops in the low minors. If nothing else, you need them to help your pitchers develop. Juan Perez is a second baseman playing shortstop in Dayton simply because they have no one else. Brandon Dailey is a second baseman in Billings who will have to play shortstop. This is too important a position on the field to be sacrificing.

I would like to see them get this kid signed if at all possible.

Re: Unsigned Draft Picks

Great post 72. I hadn't given Vincej a second thought. Pitcher Jacob Stone is another late-round guy who has some talent, per Baseball America.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Great post 72. I hadn't given Vincej a second thought. Pitcher Jacob Stone is another late-round guy who has some talent, per Baseball America.
    Oregon St is out so I'd like to see Boyd signed soon. the catcher out of Puerto Rico, $17 Jose Ortiz is the guy I'd most like to see them sign (although Vincej would fit well at Billings - with Stepehnson at Goodyear). Not sure they'll be able to ink $10 Kivel, but otherwise, a great great job..

While the original poster was about players still in the CWS, I thought I'd put any updates of unsigned players here, if you don't mind, particularly since there's another thread specifically following how Reds draftees are doing as the Series continues on.

Here's a piece on Mississippi high school player from about a week ago indicating he still hasn't made up his mind yet. He's committed to Youngstown State and is presently playing ball in Florida.

http://themississippilink.com/2012/0...eague-success/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?