Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday 6/16/2012 Minor-League Updates

Re: Saturday 6/16/2012 Minor-League Updates

80 stolen bases in 66 games. Incredible.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great to see Corcino do a little dominating. He's been good consistently, but he hasn't been dominating. To do this against a decent AA team is promising.

Silva and Barnhart quietly having very solid seasons. And what do we make of Theo Bowe? He's still only 21, I think.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ridiculous. Freakish.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

With 69 more steals (I know, unfathomable) Hamilton will have 300 in his last 3 years (100 per year). Not bad, when you consider he only had 48 in 2010.

69 would also give him 252 over two years (126 per year). Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    With 69 more steals (I know, unfathomable) Hamilton will have 300 in his last 3 years (100 per year). Not bad, when you consider he only had 48 in 2010.

69 would also give him 252 over two years (126 per year). Wow.
    The season for Bakersfield isn't even half over (although it's close). Hamilton has 80 steals in 66 games. Well, he's still got 74 more games to go. With a little luck (knock on wood) he should be able to get 69+ more steals the rest of the year. That would break the record of 145 steals in a minor league season set by Vince Coleman in '83. Coleman reached that mark though in only 113 games. Hamilton would actually have to pick up his pace to match that.

It's pretty much a given that Hamilton will steal a ton more bases. I'll be curious to see how much longer it will take him to reach his sb total from last year (103 - maybe July 6th?) and how many steals he ends up with at the end of the season (160+ ?). But, I know that things like his defense, walk rate, k rate, obp, etc matter more.

Does anyone know where the extra base hits went? In April he had 11 extra base hits in 23 games. He's had 11 more since then but in 43 games. Was April just a fluke? I know he's not going to hit many homers but I thought he'd be able to have more than 1 double or triple every 4 games. Maybe he's stopping at 1st so he can have 2nd to steal.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Silva and Barnhart quietly having very solid seasons. And what do we make of Theo Bowe? He's still only 21, I think.
    40 walks in roughly 220 PA's for Silva, and an impressive .395 OBP. If his power develops he could be a solid player.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    The season for Bakersfield isn't even half over (although it's close).
    The first half is over. They are on the All-Star break as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Does anyone know where the extra base hits went? In April he had 11 extra base hits in 23 games. He's had 11 more since then but in 43 games. Was April just a fluke? I know he's not going to hit many homers but I thought he'd be able to have more than 1 double or triple every 4 games. Maybe he's stopping at 1st so he can have 2nd to steal.
    Looking at his past history, it was probably a bit of a fluke. Another thing should be that pitchers have adjusted how to pitch to him (he struggled for about 3 weeks to begin May) and when he adjusted back, it was more of a contact oriented approach so he could close up that weakness. Maybe it wasn't, just spitballing ideas. Unfortunately there isn't much coverage of that league.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    And what do we make of Theo Bowe? He's still only 21, I think.
    Now, there's a question. It's a real puzzler. The guy was hitting .186 when he left Dayton (100 PA), and is now at .386 in Bakersfield (135 PA). He's never hit like this, or close to it, in his professional life. The whole thing has a Denis Phipps feel to it; and that one hasn't worked out so well in the season after. Doug has said that Bowe is just a tick behind Hamilton in foot speed. If he has truly figured something out, it's a major development. But could he possibly turn it around so suddenly? At the least, he has succeeded in making himself a player to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The first half is over. They are on the All-Star break as we speak.
    Yeah, Doug, I know. I thought it was obvious that I was just looking at games played and games left.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Now, there's a question. It's a real puzzler. The guy was hitting .186 when he left Dayton (100 PA), and is now at .386 in Bakersfield (135 PA). He's never hit like this, or close to it, in his professional life. The whole thing has a Denis Phipps feel to it; and that one hasn't worked out so well in the season after. Doug has said that Bowe is just a tick behind Hamilton in foot speed. If he has truly figured something out, it's a major development. But could he possibly turn it around so suddenly? At the least, he has succeeded in making himself a player to watch.
    Bowe in Dayton had a solid walk/strikeout rate but was carrying a .239 BABIP.
    Bowe in Bakersfield has a similar walk/strikeout rate but is carrying a .500 BABIP.

Bowe is a slap hitter who is one of the fastest guys in pro baseball. One thing that has changed with Bowe in Bakersfield is that he is hitting a TON of grounders, nearly 70%. He has been in the 50-55% range in the past and was at just 44% in Dayton.

I would say that Bowe isn't as bad as he performed in Dayton, but he clearly isn't as good as he has been in Bakersfield either.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

What's almost equally impressive as Hamilton's stolen base totals is the fact that he hasn't broken a wrist or finger in the process.

I would say that Bowe isn't as bad as he performed in Dayton, but he clearly isn't as good as he has been in Bakersfield either.
    Don't go out on a limb or anything.

Not asking for summary judgments on Bowe. For me, the questions on him have to do with his defense and overall instincts. That he's hitting the ball on the ground more is good. If it continues, it's a nice adjustment and may indicate he can continue to improve (as will be necessary). His number v. RHP in Bakersfield are extremely good, so he may have a decent bat, and we know he can run. He's from Delaware so he hasn't played as much baseball as a lot of kids who come into pro ball from high school. Major league extra OF? Who knows... time is still on his side.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    On pace for 196? That can't be right. I must've figured that wrong. Good grief.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    On pace for 196? That can't be right. I must've figured that wrong. Good grief.
    196.36 (imagine a vinculum above the 36)

Turn Off Ads?