Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Ryan Dempster

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast KY
    Posts
    873

    Ryan Dempster

    Would you do it? Best starter on the trade market. I'm sure the cubs would want an arm and a leg. I would give them Heisey for him.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    Would you do it? Best starter on the trade market. I'm sure the cubs would want an arm and a leg. I would give them Heisey for him.
    I would give them Navarro for him. I'm sure that would get it done.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    8

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    The horrors of 2002-'03 are still too recent in my mind. Albeit true he is a much different pitcher than we had a decade ago, I like to think that there are much better ways to upgrade our team out there.

    Votto's got the Canadian on lock down.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast KY
    Posts
    873

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    I don't even see him as the same person from the days of Dumpster. I look at him as an upgrade from Leake.

  6. #5
    I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    110

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Do we really need a starter? There's a kid in our bullpen I think that might be worth a shot.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    962

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Looking at him as an MOR rental, I don't feel that he really fits our needs unless one of our starters goes down with injury... they've all been pretty solid as of late. Cueto is dominant, Latos and Leake are finding their feet, Bailey's showing real promise, and Arroyo is his old self. As of right now, we have more easily fixable needs on offense.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    251

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Where would you put him?

    Right now, all we need is a bat or two for the bench.

    A power bat would be nice.

  9. #8
    Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, In
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
    Do we really need a starter? There's a kid in our bullpen I think that might be worth a shot.
    1. I know you're not talking about Chapman????? Right

    2. Starting pitching is not the problem, we need another bat to hit 4th!!!

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    To expensive...

  11. #10
    Jay Bruce 30+ HR jrandal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Grove City, OH
    Posts
    61

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    We need a high OBP bat to start everyday in LF even though we have been playing well lately.
    The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! -Bret Hart

  12. #11
    Member Larkin88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    646

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    Would you do it? Best starter on the trade market. I'm sure the cubs would want an arm and a leg. I would give them Heisey for him.
    Just curious, without having any context of what the Cubs actually want, why Heisey?

    Further gutting our bench or left field options to bring in a starter that we don't really need seems like a risky gamble. Not sure that would really improve the team that much on the margins.

    I'll give you that there is room for improvement on Leake's starts this year so far, but I'm still hoping he comes around on his own accord. Not sure I'd risk a contributor from a position that's in much worse shape than our pitching depth for that, though. Especially when I think it'd take more than Chris anyway.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 06-18-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Grammar

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northeast KY
    Posts
    873

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Just curious, without having any context of what the Cubs actually want, why Heisey?

    Further gutting our bench or left field options to bring in a starter that we don't really need seems like a risky gamble. Not sure that would really improve the team that much on the margins.

    I'll give you that there is room for improvement on Leake's starts this year so far, but I'm still hoping he comes around on his own accord. Not sure I'd risk a contributor from a position that's in much worse shape than our pitching depth for that, though. Especially when I think it'd take more than Chris anyway.
    I just threw the Heisey name out there. I don't think the cubs would want him. I do feel that when Rolen and Stubbs comeback you will have a Ludwick/Heisey/Frazier bout for lf playing time so I randomly picked Heisey. He really contributes the least offensively among the three.

    As far as Dempster goes, don't you feel he would be an upgrade at starter over Leake? I'm not totally sold on Leake this year. I think we are fine as him as our 5th starter but I want to see us win this division by 15 games. Dempster has looked great this year. That being said, I would not overspend or give them any good prospects for him.

  14. #13
    Member Larkin88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    646

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post

    As far as Dempster goes, don't you feel he would be an upgrade at starter over Leake? I'm not totally sold on Leake this year. I think we are fine as him as our 5th starter but I want to see us win this division by 15 games. Dempster has looked great this year. That being said, I would not overspend or give them any good prospects for him.
    Oh, I'm totally with you. I think he'd be an improvement over Leake, even though I do expect Leake to improve to an extent rest of the way. Guess it's just the cost benefit of what we would have to give up, and how much shoring up the #5 spot in our rotation would contribute beyond the status quo.

    I'd do it if they could afford it, sure. As you said, though, he's one of the premiere SP available for trade, so I don't think we'll be able to get him for peanuts.

    Would rather save the trade pieces for shoring up left field or the bench. Just my two cents though.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    I'd much rather spend the resources on improving the bench rather than SP. I deffinately DON'T want to trade a bat off the major league roster for a pitcher.
    Sto Pro Veritate

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    155

    Re: Ryan Dempster

    The Reds have been fortunate so far to have their same 5 original starting pitchers from spring training staying healthy and pitching effectively enough to keep their rotation spots. A question I have is who would be the 1st guy to step into the rotation if someone gets hurt or Leake has another few crappy starts in a row? Tomko, Lecure, Chapman, Simon, trade?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25