Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Best realistic FA to target.

Best realistic FA to target.

Forget he's an ex card, but it's Colby Rasmus

He will be cheap, and had a .840 ops season last year. He is 28, can play great defense.

Hit him 2nd. Play him in left.

Hamilton
    Rasmus
    Votto
    Mes
    Frazier
    Bruce
    Phillips
    Cozart

It's not great. But it's actually a realistic target with some upside.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best realistic FA to target.

Not sure how cheap he's going to be since offense seems to be at a premium and some club will try to "fix him". And, he has really been up and down during his career and there is no way to tell if you are getting the 2010 or 2012 version, although either one would be better than what we have now. His walk rate is also troubling and will probably get worse.

I wouldn't fight over him, but if he's still out there in late January, he's probably worth talking to. He might be the kind of guy who reacts to a change of scenery.

Also the free agent outfield class is pretty weak overall if I recall. I'd like to get a low-cost platoon for left field. Not sure yet who I want for the lefty bat, but I think a great fit offensively for LF would be Rickie Weeks.

Realistically, I like Aoki the most. Markakis is next.

Markakis would be an interesting signing and could be an effective lead-off hitter. With that being said, he may be too expensive. His player option is 17 million I believe.

Unfortunately, I don't see the Reds spending much if ANY money to fix their line-up. The offense needs a major re-haul, but I would bet they will go into Spring Training with pretty much the same people in place, because the Reds have really nothing of significant trade value in their farm system, and three of their five pitchers are free agents after 2015.

The Reds payroll for 2016 is already at 63.5 million dollars with only four players: Votto scheduled to make 20 mil, Bailey to make 18 mil, Phillips scheduled to make 13 million and Bruce scheduled to make 12.5 million.

Now, If the Reds resign Cueto, that will cost the Reds a MINIMUM of 18 mil per year. Latos will cost the Reds a minimum of 18 Mil per year, and Leake will command AT LEAST 10-12 mil per year. Then, the Reds need to figure out what to do with Chapman--which will incur at least 10 Mil per year.

So, let's pretend the Reds sign those four pitchers, for 2016 and beyond, the Reds payroll is now over 110 Million for eight players. Then the arbitration of Frazier, Mesoraco, Hamilton et al, will continue to grow.

The Reds will not be able to afford any SIGNIFICANT offensive player--and their is NOTHING in the farm system to really help the Reds and push them over the top until 2016.

This organization is in some serious, SERIOUS--trouble.

Exercise the option on Ludwick and pray he bounces back and have Hiesey as the back up plan and print playoff tickets.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Alex Rios had his 2015 option declined recently ($13.5M option) so he could be an option in LF.

My previous favorite target, Nick Markakis, also had his option for 2015 declined ($17.5M option, $2M buyout)

Both play more RF than LF so they may be better in LF than their defensive numbers in RF looked in 2014.

The Reds payroll for 2016 is already at 63.5 million dollars with only four players: Votto scheduled to make 20 mil, Bailey to make 18 mil, Phillips scheduled to make 13 million and Bruce scheduled to make 12.5 million.

......and I don't think any teams would jump at a chance to take on any of those salaries, not even for a PTBNL. The Reds are stuck with them.

Teams would line up to take Jay Bruce at $12.5MM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I woke up this morning after having a dream that the Reds re-signed Bailey to a 5-yr $100MM deal. I hope I'm wrong.

12. Likes:

redsfanmia (Today)

I don't know about that. I'm a Bruce fan, but it's pretty hard to justify last years numbers. He was pretty terrible. Now, I think it was an aberration, but then I've been accused of looking at the home town nine through rose colored glasses.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

And, I would let them make their offers, and at least see what they are offering for Bruce. The Reds are on the hook for Bruce through 2017. Now, you would be trading away Bruce in his 28,29,30 years, which, systematically, you could say these are his prime years and you can try to sell the 2014 year as an aberration. With that being said, if you can trade Bruce for a TOP PROSPECT middle infield prospect and a TOP PROSPECT at either outfield or pitching, then I say you pull the trigger and use Bruce's money to help sign either Cueto or Latos.

Jay Bruce Future Salary
    12 Million in 2015
    12.5 Million in 2016
    13 Million in 2017

Turn Off Ads?