Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone in the media needs to hold Walt accountable

Someone in the media needs to hold Walt accountable

And ask him what their thought process was in targeting Latos over Gio Gonzalez.

Because this trade is on the verge of turning into Paul O'Neill for Roberto Kelly bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Someone in the media needs to hold Walt accountable

I'm not going to go that far, yet, but there's no question it's been a pretty huge letdown.

It gutted the farm system of EVERY other MLB-ready prospect they had.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

You know who else was this bad if not worse as young pitchers? Both Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay. I'm fairly certain they both got sent to single A ball after they'd been at the MLB level for awhile.

Baseball is weird, players (especially pitchers) can just have really awful seasons, and then end up bouncing back the next year. I do know one thing though, Mat Latos isn't truly two runs worse than he's been his whole career, despite what he's shown so far this season.

Meanwhile, Gio Gonzalez has been a pitcher who gives up Edison Volquez levels of walks. He won't continue to be this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    You know who else was this bad if not worse as young pitchers? Both Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay. I'm fairly certain they both got sent to single A ball after they'd been at the MLB level for awhile.

Baseball is weird, players (especially pitchers) can just have really awful seasons, and then end up bouncing back the next year. I do know one thing though, Mat Latos isn't truly two runs worse than he's been his whole career, despite what he's shown so far this season.
    Then they shouldn't have made the trade if they are going all-in THIS YEAR, which was the point of the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Then they shouldn't have made the trade if they are going all-in THIS YEAR, which was the point of the trade.
    How does that make sense? They couldn't have predicted he was going to do this coming over starting this year. Plus, literally the entire team is now locked up for long term. This year is no longer make or break.

Not to mention, the whole team is playing incredibly well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    How does that make sense? They couldn't have predicted he was going to do this coming over starting this year. Plus, literally the entire team is now locked up for long term. This year is no longer make or break.

Not to mention, the whole team is playing incredibly well.
    How does it not? You basically said Latos is young so he should be forgiven. But when you gut the entire farm system in one trade, you are doing it for this year

How does it not? You basically said Latos is young so he should be forgiven. But when you gut the entire farm system in one trade, you are doing it for this year
    No, you literally aren't. Part of the reason he cost so much is due to the fact that he will be here long term.

Alright, I'm done arguing with the Walt-Yes-Men

It gutted the farm system of EVERY other MLB-ready prospect they had.
    So for all practical purposes, you mean Alonso?

Because Hoover and Joseph would both be considered more major league ready than Boxberger with the year he's having.
    Last time I checked, Mesoraco was in Grandal's way. If they hapen to have an injury, they have veterans in Navarro and Miller to step in for a short stretch. I'd rather have a vet come up for a few weeks than a 24 year old rookie, if one of my regular catchers had to miss a few weeks.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

EMAW

Was Gonzalez offered for the same package of players?
    A pitcher who walks a lot of hitters does not prosper in GABP
    It's too early (13 starts?) to evaluate the deal
    Alonso is hardly tearing it up at Petco and Volquez leads the NL in walks

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    So for all practical purposes, you mean Alonso?

Because Hoover and Joseph would both be considered more major league ready than Boxberger with the year he's having.
    Last time I checked, Mesoraco was in Grandal's way. If they hapen to have an injury, they have veterans in Navarro and Miller to step in for a short stretch. I'd rather have a vet come up for a few weeks than a 24 year old rookie, if one of my regular catchers had to miss a few weeks.
    Well, for practical purposes I mean trade pieces to be used in other deals. You basically gave up all your ML ready trade prospects in one move

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    Was Gonzalez offered for the same package of players?
    A pitcher who walks a lot of hitters does not prosper in GABP
    It's too early (13 starts?) to evaluate the deal
    Alonso is hardly tearing it up at Petco and Volquez leads the NL in walks
    They didn't even inquire about Gio. They focused on Latos from the beginning

They didn't even inquire about Gio. They focused on Latos from the beginning
    Which as I've already pointed out, was the correct thing to do.

Turn Off Ads?