Blame the scouts...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Someone in the media needs to hold Walt accountable

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Blame the scouts...
    For what?

We have to put up a 10 spot to win when Latos pitches. I know that going in.
    Even with 10 I'm not comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    It gutted the farm system of EVERY other MLB-ready prospect they had.
    We traded away what we either didn't need or had extra of for a talented still young and developing pitcher....you make that deal every day...and twice on Sunday.

They didn't even inquire about Gio. They focused on Latos from the beginning
    You know this how. Look there are a number of things to rip Walt over...this deal is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    We traded away what we either didn't need or had extra of for a talented still young and developing pitcher....you make that deal every day...and twice on Sunday.
    I hate this argument that we traded away guys who were getting 'blocked.' Yes guys were getting 'blocked' but we could've traded for others. I'd rather have James Shields even at his age. The fact we control Latos for multiple years at a premium is great, but this guy has to perform at some point . . .even if it's only June of his first year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I hate this argument that we traded away guys who were getting 'blocked.' Yes guys were getting 'blocked' but we could've traded for others. I'd rather have James Shields even at his age. The fact we control Latos for multiple years at a premium is great, but this guy has to perform at some point . . .even if it's only June of his first year too.
    I hate this idea that people think that James Shield was available. Maybe we should have gone after that young pitcher from the M's that was good and the Yankees got..oh wait he is having TJ surgery...

You know this how. Look there are a number of things to rip Walt over...this deal is not one of them.
    John Fay has stated on twitter numerous times that they focused on Latos only

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    That's what I'm saying. You had 2 big pieces to strengthen your team. You put them both in the same trade for a pitcher who has underperformed.

When you are working on a budget like the Reds are, you can't afford to miss on moves like that

That's what I'm saying. You had 2 big pieces to strengthen your team. You put them both in the same trade for a pitcher who has underperformed.

When you are working on a budget like the Reds are, you can't afford to miss on moves like that
    Especially when you have the best pitcher on the planet that you were supposedly moving into the rotation this year.

Which rotation would you rather have?

Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake

or

Cueto
    Chapman
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake
    (While still having your main trade pieces to improve the holes on your team)

Well, for practical purposes I mean trade pieces to be used in other deals. You basically gave up all your ML ready trade prospects in one move
    Didn't gut them of Mesoraco, Frazier, Cozart, Joseph, Sappelt, Villareal, Rodriguez, Corcino, Sulbaran or Soto.
    If your problem is that you don't like Latos, then that is fine, but don't act as if the Reds minor leagues were depleted solely because of this trade. Also don't act as if this same package wouldn't have been the prerequisite to acquire Gonzalez, Cahill, or any of the other top flight starters available this offseason.
    Just look at what Washington gave u to get Gio.

Sure, they gave up 2 of their top 4 prospects, but they included another "ML ready prospect" in the deal to get Marshall. If you think they don't have enough pieces left to get another deal done, it makes me wonder who you'd want to pursue.

Edited to add: Since you considered 2 current Padres AAA players as ML ready prospects, I figured that qualified everyone I listed above to be in that same company.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...pects-for-2011

You gave up #3, #5, and #12 according to this list

John Fay has stated on twitter numerous times that they focused on Latos only
    And you believe Fay? Was Fay sitting in the Reds offices...or going off what he heard...

And you believe Fay? Was Fay sitting in the Reds offices...or going off what he heard...
    You tweet him enough BS that I'm sure you believe him.

Get out of my thread, I don't need your trolling

Especially when you have the best pitcher on the planet that you were supposedly moving into the rotation this year.

Which rotation would you rather have?

Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake

or

Cueto
    Chapman
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake
    (While still having your main trade pieces to improve the holes on your team)

And we know Chapman is a quality starter how?

Turn Off Ads?