Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft releasing new Tablet running Windows 8 w/ built in keyboard

Microsoft releasing new Tablet running Windows 8 w/ built in keyboard

http://technorati.com/technology/gad...ealed-details/

want!!

I love that keyboard design.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Microsoft releasing new Tablet running Windows 8 w/ built in keyboard

My concern with any device like that running Windows is the inevitable "Windows bloat" that occurs over time as Windows downloads updates and patches to fix various security holes. I can just imagine having it for 6 mos. before it starts taking 5 minutes just to boot up.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Looks neat.

Did anyone bother to consider issues of market fragmentation here? They'd probably have been better off just pushing a single platform -- it would have allowed their developers to focus resources on just one thing and ensured all their customers were buying the same product. Now, they'll be splitting their market share in two segments, reducing the economic impact a dev can have developing for one platform or the other.

Plus, full Windows on a tablet? I can't imagine the end user experience is going to be good unless devs code their apps to be workable in situations where a keyboard and mouse aren't available.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'd still rather have an ipad, but new competition is good. The other tablets on the market haven't been able to challenge Apple yet, but I think this one will. The biggest question is whether or not MS has angered their partners.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'd still rather have an ipad, but new competition is good.
    Competition is great until the platform you've invested money into dies and you're stuck holding the bag with useless hardware and software.

I'm getting to the point where I wish they'd just standardize stuff.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'd still rather have an ipad, but new competition is good. The other tablets on the market haven't been able to challenge Apple yet, but I think this one will. The biggest question is whether or not MS has angered their partners.
    There are millions of Kindle Fires out there and over a million other Android Tablets as well.

I just wish google would get their stuff together with the Android platform. They have a market full of awesome apps that only certain users can get even if they have an Android tablet or Android phone because they have 15 different versions of android out in the last two years. Then there is the whole Kindle Fire, which is a souped down version of Android that doesn't allow you to use the Android Marketplace, but limits you to the amazon marketplace, which by comparison is about 10% as big and really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There are millions of Kindle Fires out there and over a million other Android Tablets as well.

I just wish google would get their stuff together with the Android platform. They have a market full of awesome apps that only certain users can get even if they have an Android tablet or Android phone because they have 15 different versions of android out in the last two years. Then there is the whole Kindle Fire, which is a souped down version of Android that doesn't allow you to use the Android Marketplace, but limits you to the amazon marketplace, which by comparison is about 10% as big and really sucks.
    I have played with a Kindle Fire and it doesn't hold a candle to the iPad. My iPad is one of the original versious and its 100X easier to use than the Kindle Fire. The only downside of the iPad for me is its glass screen that makes reading books in the sun difficult. I have a regular kindle for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have played with a Kindle Fire and it doesn't hold a candle to the iPad. My iPad is one of the original versious and its 100X easier to use than the Kindle Fire. The only downside of the iPad for me is its glass screen that makes reading books in the sun difficult. I have a regular kindle for that.
    That is like saying you have driven a Camry and it doesn't hold a candle to a Ferrari. Of course it doesn't, it is 1/3rd to 1/4th the price.

I have a Fire and an Android tablet. The Fire is incredibly easy to use, so I am not sure what was causing you issues. The Android tablet on the other hand took a few days of figuring things out on. The iPad is very easy to use, but I still think it is overpriced for what you get compared to top end Android tablets. The only thing they provide that is better is the marketplace and that is only a matter of time as there are now more Android devices out there than ios ones.

But, as you've identified, fragmentation of the Android OS makes it difficult for developers to program applications -- they have to take into account the dozens of variations of the Android OS out there, to say nothing of the varying hardware specifications.

You'll see Apple continue to lead in "Killer App" design until Android straightens that out, IMO.

That is like saying you have driven a Camry and it doesn't hold a candle to a Ferrari. Of course it doesn't, it is 1/3rd to 1/4th the price.

I have a Fire and an Android tablet. The Fire is incredibly easy to use, so I am not sure what was causing you issues. The Android tablet on the other hand took a few days of figuring things out on. The iPad is very easy to use, but I still think it is overpriced for what you get compared to top end Android tablets. The only thing they provide that is better is the marketplace and that is only a matter of time as there are now more Android devices out there than ios ones.
    I have learned that its better to spend the money up front to get a much better product than to keep spending lesser amounts. In the end they usually add up being more expensive. The Kindle Fire has a smaller screen, not as many apps, and I have found not as easy to use. As you said you have both a kindle and an android tablet.

When another company comes up with a better product I may give it the time of day. But when so far Apple makes the better products that are more user friendly I have no problem paying more for them. Paying $499 for an iPad isn't exactly like buying a Ferrari over a Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    But, as you've identified, fragmentation of the Android OS makes it difficult for developers to program applications -- they have to take into account the dozens of variations of the Android OS out there, to say nothing of the varying hardware specifications.

You'll see Apple continue to lead in "Killer App" design until Android straightens that out, IMO.
    You are probably right, and it drives me freaking nuts. With that said, I think that they are at least heading in the right direction, though it could still be years away before they get all of their ducks in a row.

I have learned that its better to spend the money up front to get a much better product than to keep spending lesser amounts. In the end they usually add up being more expensive. The Kindle Fire has a smaller screen, not as many apps, and I have found not as easy to use. As you said you have both a kindle and an android tablet.

When another company comes up with a better product I may give it the time of day. But when so far Apple makes the better products that are more user friendly I have no problem paying more for them. Paying $499 for an iPad isn't exactly like buying a Ferrari over a Toyota.
    Apple isn't making a better product. Developers are making better components for it. Similarly priced Android tablets have better hardware (meaning they run faster, smoother and have better cameras) than iPads do. You can just get better software right now for the iPad.

As for the price point, not everyone can drop $500-800 on a tablet. It isn't a feasible option. A lot of people can drop $2-300 though.

So sure, maybe it isn't like a Ferrari and a Toyota. More like a BMW and a Toyota.

Apple isn't making a better product. Developers are making better components for it. Similarly priced Android tablets have better hardware (meaning they run faster, smoother and have better cameras) than iPads do. You can just get better software right now for the iPad.

As for the price point, not everyone can drop $500-800 on a tablet. It isn't a feasible option. A lot of people can drop $2-300 though.

So sure, maybe it isn't like a Ferrari and a Toyota. More like a BMW and a Toyota.
    From my experience Apple is making the better products.

Your car analogy is off. Were not talking about spending $35K vs $80K rather $300 vs $500. You have long had a negative view on Apple products so this doesn't surprise me at all. From my experience their products are better, much better than most of the competition. It isn't just the developers but the product as a whole.

From my experience Apple is making the better products.

Your car analogy is off. Were not talking about spending $35K vs $80K rather $300 vs $500. You have long had a negative view on Apple products so this doesn't surprise me at all. From my experience their products are better, much better than most of the competition. It isn't just the developers but the product as a whole.
    Apple makes great products. They just price them higher than they need to be to make a reasonable profit.

I think my analogy fits fine with the prices. Some people simply don't have the extra money to drop $500-800, but could drop $149 (Nook Color)-$300 (mid to high end range Android based tablet). Just like some people can afford to drop $19,000 on a Toyota, but not $45,000 on a BMW.

I have not seen anything that makes the iPad better than the higher end Android tablets aside from better applications (and even then, the higher end ones are beginning to get comparable apps). The Android tablets are faster with better components inside.

Time is the Revelator.

I'm sold. Mainly because they have a bald guy making gestures and showing it off.

Turn Off Ads?