Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mat Latos implies Indians stole some of the Redsí signs last night

Mat Latos implies Indians stole some of the Redsí signs last night

Im glad that's the reason they lost

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ends-Cleveland
    Last edited by icehole3; 06-19-2012 at 08:04 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Mat Latos implies Indians stole some of the Redsí signs last night

I think Mat Latos should concentrate more on hitting his spots, and less on everything else.
    sorry we're boring

That would explain a lot. They definitey were hitting like they knew what was coming.

It's against the rules to steal signs, and for good reason. The heart of the game is the chess match between pitcher and hitter over what pitch is next. Take that away, and it literally is batting practice. Not just unfair, but a really boring game, kinda like the NBA where the only drama is not if you'll score, but how. If a team is stealing your signs, even Chapman would get hit hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    This team is like watching Zero Hour and thinking you are watching Airplane and waiting for the funny.

Imagine the reaction around here if Derek Lowe had said that.

Mat needs to stop making excuses and start making pitches.

Worth The Wait

I guess the stole the sign that read "hanging curve ball that isn't gonna move coming your way."

If he hadn't let so many batters make it to second base it wouldn't have been an issue. And for all I know they may have been stealing signs, but to blame a nuclear meltdown of an outing on it comes across as excuse making to me. If they really were stealing signs, there's ways to handle that without crying to the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "Making people uncomfortable is one of my hobbies. I'm always hoping that half the people get the joke and the other half are the joke." - Josh Homme

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

So what's the excuse in his other 13 starts?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Padres laughing big time at the Reds for making that trade.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Well, I guess we knew that Latos was a bit immature when we traded for him.
    Making excuses like this is so lame though.
    Before the game, the radio announcers were talking about all the different pitches Latos can throw.. hard fastball, splitter, curve, slider, cut fastball (maybe I'm missing one).. Saying basically he is an Arrroyo that can throw hard.. Well, he's got a long way to go to mature and be 1/2 the man that Arroyo is... I'm guessing he will eventually harness the talent, but we are going to have to suffer through games like this.

Honestly, if the playoffs started tommorrow, would anyone put Latos in their 3 man starting rotation? I wouldn't.. At this point, Arroyo and Homer get the nod over Latos. Maybe that changes by the end of the year.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for bringing winning baseball back to Cincy -- it was nice while it lasted..

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    They aren't laughing at anyone. They're 24-44 which puts them a half game away from the worst record in baseball. Yonder Alonso is OPSing .684 and Volquez is on pace to walk 114 guys this year. Latos hasn't been what we expected yet but to call the trade a bust after only 14 starts - especially when the players that went the other way aren't exactly doing well themselves - is way premature.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "Making people uncomfortable is one of my hobbies. I'm always hoping that half the people get the joke and the other half are the joke." - Josh Homme

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Yonder Alonso will be fine, but he is not magically turning into Adrian Gonzalez. Volquez is still a pumpkin.

I'm still ok with that trade. Unless there is something physical, there was little in Latos' track record to indicate that he was not going to be a solid No. 2 starter. Lets see how it goes from here, still plenty of season left.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Really?

Bud Black give you a call to confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It's against the rules to steal signs, and for good reason. The heart of the game is the chess match between pitcher and hitter over what pitch is next. Take that away, and it literally is batting practice. Not just unfair, but a really boring game, kinda like the NBA where the only drama is not if you'll score, but how. If a team is stealing your signs, even Chapman would get hit hard.
    I didn't realize that. Does the MLB rulebook really address stealing signs?

It was a weird game last night. Latos wasn't getting the inside fastball called a strike (the last strike to Ludwick was called one though) nor was he getting the high breaking ball called a strike. When he missed over the plate it got turned around in rocket fashion. I have seen games like that but not often. In Latos defense it was almost like the hitters knew what was coming.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think this is a bit extreme. With that said, however, Latos has been about what the Reds probably would have gotten out of Volquez (the throw-in to the deal) to this point. They are both having really bad years. I understand the trade was also made for the future as Latos is only 24 and Volquez soon to be 29, but Latos (like Volquez) seems to have makeup issues and now, four years in the league, doesn't appear to have IT since he peaked in 2010.

Let's be honest, the trade was also made to help for THIS year (the "all in" year) and so far it hasn't come close to doing that. Hopefully through the next 16-18 starts he rights the ship but I'm not holding my breath.

Turn Off Ads?