Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 6/19

Birthdays: 6/19

Reds:

Devin Mesoraco (24) -His high school team was called the Punxsatawney Chucks.

Bruce Chen (35) -A Red in 2002...I forgot he was actually Panamanian.

Jerry Reuss (63) -1987 was his Reds year...Another player who appeared in four decades...Second pitcher (after Milt Pappas) to win 200 without having a 20-win season...In 1980 he pitched a no-hitter, losing a perfect game only due to a Bill Russell throwing error...In '82, pitching against the Reds, he gave up a single to the first batter, Eddie Milner, then retired the next 27 in order.

Others:

Bob Aspromonte (74) -Made his big league debut at age 18 for his hometown Brooklyn Dodgers...Eventually became the last active player to have been a Brooklyn Dodger, as well as the last active player to have been a Houston Colt '45...

Lou Gehrig -Everybody knows about Lou, so instead of a comment I thought I'd reprint the poem by John Kiernan that was inscribed on the trophy given to him on Lou Gehrig Day. It's one of my favorites:

To LOU GEHRIG

We've been to the wars together;
    We took our foes as they came;
    And always you were the leader,
    And ever you played the game.
    Idol of cheering millions,
    Records are yours by sheaves;
    Iron of frame they hailed you
    Decked you with laurel leaves.
    But higher than that we hold you,
    We who have known you best;
    Knowing the way you came through
    Every human test.
    Let this be a silent token
    Of lasting Friendship's gleam,
    And all that we've left unspoken;
    --Your Pals of the Yankees Team.

Eddie Cicotte -After the Black Sox scandal broke, Eddie was forced to live under an assumed name to avoid harassment. He worked for Ford for a while then had a strawberry farm...He always said that he'd done a bad thing, but that he'd tried to live his life since then in a way that would make up for it.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 6/19

Unless it was someone else, I remember reading that Reuss was a multi-millionaire from his family BEFORE becoming a ballplayer.
    Salaries weren't that high back then of course, so you knew he wasn't in it for the money.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Unless it was someone else, I remember reading that Reuss was a multi-millionaire from his family BEFORE becoming a ballplayer.
    Salaries weren't that high back then of course, so you knew he wasn't in it for the money.
    I just recently read Leo Durochers book Nice Guys Finish Last and IIRC he said Reuss was from a rich family. Durcoher couldn't stand him either or most any of the "modern" players he managed in the early 1970's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Devin Mesoraco (24) -His high school team was called the Punxsatawney Chucks.
    Excellent.

I thought everyone from Punxsatawney was born on February 2.

Turn Off Ads?