Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen

Scott Rolen

Went 2-4 with 2 RBIs. Both hits were singles. Our time would be much better spent if we talked about good things like this rather than wasting it on a glorified "Latos just needs to be older than 24" conversation.

Despite the loss, Rolen approached the plate very well and performed well above what anyone was expecting. That right there could be worth a dozen wins down the stretch.
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Rolen

If he can stay healthy down the stretch. It's only a matter of time until Scotty is injured again.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    If he can stay healthy down the stretch. It's only a matter of time until Scotty is injured again.
    Then our favorite superhero (Todd Frazier) will have to replace him and hit more one-handed home runs.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Congrats to Old Man Rolen for looking like the Scotty Rolen we all love. But be prepared for him to have an O-For night because after all this is baseball. I'm rooting for Rolen just because he is a class act and is one of the best defensive players I have seen in his prime and he is still one hell of a defender.
    The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! -Bret Hart

I think IF Rolen stays healthy, Lance M. has it down- he and Frazier split time at 3rd and give Frazier 1-2 OF starts per week so that he's in the lineup 80-90% of the time.

I doubt Rolen will stay healthy but if he does, he should get at least 1/2 time at 3b

Did anyone notice his approach at the plate last night. Perfect slap the ball the other way drive in a run and jog to first. Not all geared up and trying to get out front and pull a ball. If he continues with this swing, he might just hit .300 the rest of the season and stay healthy if they limit his playing time. He can still sit on a 2-0 fastball and try and use his power but the slap hit is what he should be looking to do 90% of the time. Congrats to him on an outstanding first game back.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I think there was good reasoning to only have Rolen rehab in Louisville for 2 games. Any at-bats with a healthy shoulder in Louisville is wasted at-bats. My guess is they'll get about a month with his shoulder healthy and then he'll see another DL stint. Then hopefully be healthy for the end of the season and a playoff run.

Then I think he retires after the season.

Line drives to opposite field....great approach. Luddy cost him a ribby.

That being said....there will be issues immediately once we are out of the AL park.

Winless in three games with Rolen back.

Gotta love that Veteran Leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Winless in three games with Rolen back.

Gotta love that Veteran Leadership.
    Exactly! I got grilled here for saying something like this, but it is absolutely true. The whole "leadership" thing is way over-rated.

I'll take wins over leadership any day. He has also had 2 (should've been 3) errors fielding in the Indians series. And I thought everyone here was praising his great defensive skills...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Exactly! I got grilled here for saying something like this, but it is absolutely true. The whole "leadership" thing is way over-rated.

I'll take wins over leadership any day. He has also had 2 (should've been 3) errors fielding in the Indians series. And I thought everyone here was praising his great defensive skills...
    Not only that but Frazier is playing like he is looking over his shoulder wondering when he gets benched again. His lack of confidence is showing big time right now. Thinks he trust Dusty to play the ones that help the team win or play the Vets even when they stink it up.

Quote Originally Posted by redram View Post
    Not only that but Frazier is playing like he is looking over his shoulder wondering when he gets benched again. His lack of confidence is showing big time right now. Thinks he trust Dusty to play the ones that help the team win or play the Vets even when they stink it up.
    No doubt about that.

This team is going nowhere as long as Rolen is on the roster. He's a cog that makes the machine come to a grinding halt.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No doubt about that. This team is going nowhere as long as Rolen is on the roster. He's a cog that makes the machine come to a grinding halt.
    I fully agree, of course. I always thought that the Reds were jerking Frazier around in the minors, moving him from position to position, when it seemed to me that he was a natural 3B.

Maybe they were preparing him to be a utility guy if/when he made the bigs. But that's not something teams normally do with a (supplemental) 1st-round pick.

And then when he actually gets the shot and appears to be coming into his own....they do it again. All because a laughing 37-year-old Scott Rolen declares that he's now 100% "of whatever I've got".

I thought all along that a Rolen return to the lineup would be "sugar in the gas tank". But it's going to be worse...apparently sugar in the tank doesn't completely disable an engine.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-21-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redram View Post
    I said the same thing Wednesday nights game thread and got drilled by posters that are drinking the Rolen kool aid.

I put this on Dusty 100% just like having a .119 hitter as the DH. Just silly because he is a left handed hitter. What a joke.

Turn Off Ads?