Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Michigan West coast- camping and sites recommendations?

Michigan West coast- camping and sites recommendations?

We're going to head up to Sleeping Bear Dunes in a month or so and would like to know if anyone has recommendations on good campgrounds and places they think are worth seeing. We are interested in staying a day or two around Muskegon or Luddington, then heading up to Sleeping Bear for a couples days and returning along the same route.

I have not been to this area since I was a kid, so I remember it as being quite beautiful, but with no real recollection on the places we visited.
    Except for one hella cool ride on the dunes in a tour buggy, which I think was near Muskegon because that's where our cousins lived.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Michigan West coast- camping and sites recommendations?

I'm not really much of a camper but I know there are a bunch of nice sites set aside for camping in the DH Day National Lakeshore area around Sleeping Bear. Your tax dollars bought that valuable land so you might as well use it.

I think you ought to consider going to North Manitou island to camp. It's neat in that it very rustic. Nobody lives there. There are no varmits like skunks, porcupines or racoons. It's a big island with beautiful beaches and sand dunes.

Start your research here:

http://www.manitoutransit.com/

That's who will take you there. Once they drop you off, you're stuck there until the next boat comes. I don't know if they go every day or every other day.

Bring sweatshirts. Depending on your body temp tolerance, you may or may not be able to swim. I only brave Lake Mich from July 4-mid August. Water temps usually max out at about 72 degrees

My wife spends all summer up there and I go back and forth when I can. In fact this is where I get to use my "Sea Ray". Wonderful place to escape in the summer. I've never understood why people go to Florida in the summer...

Thanks Sea Ray. I have been trying to get my wife up there for a long time. My memories are of escaping the torrid, sticky climes of Cincinnati to the clear, high pressure air of the north. In fact, when we get a flukey dry air day in the Bloomington Summer I'm still reminded of my childhood trips to Michigan.

Also- your beer/brewery recommendations would be appreciated as well!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Thanks Sea Ray. I have been trying to get my wife up there for a long time. My memories are of escaping the torrid, sticky climes of Cincinnati to the clear, high pressure air of the north. In fact, when we get a flukey dry air day in the Bloomington Summer I'm still reminded of my childhood trips to Michigan.

Also- your beer/brewery recommendations would be appreciated as well!
    It's incredible how much difference there is in the weather. Southern MI gets a lot of what we get which is weather that generally comes up the Miss River from the Gulf of Mexico. Northern MI gets weather from Wisconsin and Canada. To take advantage of that you have to get north of Bay City.

Here's a place I'd recommend you try in Traverse City for good beer:

http://www.7monkstap.com/

To be honest, I haven't tried it yet but I've heard great things about it. You can sure bet I'll be there this summer.

I don't know what your driving routes look like but our travels up there take us through Flint, MI and they have a place right off the interstate which combines two of my favorite things in life: steak and beer

http://theredwoodlodge.com/

It's a great concept. I don't know why no one's tried such a place here in Cincinnati. You don't have to order steak. The wings are meaty and there's a nice selection of casual foods too.

I'm not a big fan of North Peake Brewing in Traverse City but if you're into ales you might like it.

The cherry season might be nil this year but most years a stop at the Cherry Hut is a must:

http://www.cherryhutstore.com/

Best cherry pies anywhere and the rest of the food is pretty good too. Definitely not a health food stop but more of a comfort food place

Nothing to offer, except to say I regret that I never made it up to Traverse City to visit my friend while he was stationed there with the Coast Guard. Looks like a great spot.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Nothing to offer, except to say I regret that I never made it up to Traverse City to visit my friend while he was stationed there with the Coast Guard. Looks like a great spot.
    The locals hated getting this sort of publicity but I agree that it is possibly the most beautiful place in America:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/best_pl...ry?id=14319616

If you get the chance to try beer from a great microbrew up there, I'd recommend anything made by Short's Brewery. They're very creative and do a great job

Spot on, fellas. I do remember Traverse City from the trips as a kid. Loved the place.

As to beer, if you go to Grand Rapids, Founders is a good brewery.

Turn Off Ads?