Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 6/20

Birthdays: 6/20

Reds:

Paul Bako (40) -Paul's real first name is "Gabor"...Currently working as a sales rep for the Marucci Bat Company, which he owns a piece of, as does Big Papi.

Juan Castro (40) -A RedsZone favorite topic. I always thought he was overrated as a glove man. Paul Janisch is better, IMHO.

Gary Varsho (51) -A Red in 1993. Made a highly embarrassing play when playing LF for the Pirates: he lost a fly ball in the lights, then when he heard it land 15 feet behind him he turned around, caught his spikes in the turf and fell flat on his face. Then, when he finally caught up with the ball, it slipped out of his hands when he was trying to throw it.

Bill Werber -3B on the 1939-40 pennant winners...First player to come to the plate in a televised game...Lived to be 100; at the time of his death he was the oldest former player and the last living person to have played against Babe Ruth.

Others:

Doug Gwosdz (52) -Nicknamed "Eye Chart" because of his last name...Finished his career withe the Reds organization in AAA.

Dickie Thon (54) -On his way to a great career before he was hit by a Mike Torrez pitch that broke his orbital bone..."Thon" is the French word for "tuna"...

Andy Etchebarren (69) -Oriole catcher, splitting time with Elrod Hendricks...Last man to hit off of Sandy Koufax...Owner of one of baseball's finest unibrows... Supposedly saved Frank Robinson's life in his 1966 Triple Crown year; Robby, who couldn't swim, fell into a swimming pool at a party and Andy jumped in and pulled him out. Sounds like quite a party...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 6/20

French name and all, Dickie Thon is Puertorrican
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Doug Gwosdz (52) -Nicknamed "Eye Chart" because of his last name...Finished his career withe the Reds organization in AAA.
    Hey, great nickname! Just as good is the Cardinals current reliever Rzepczynski being referred to as 'Scrabble' by some of the Cards fans.
    Last edited by Bob Borkowski; 06-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    French name and all, Dickie Thon is Puertorrican
    I thought Dickie Thon was born in South Bend, IN.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I thought Dickie Thon was born in South Bend, IN.
    He was, his father was studying at Notre Dame. Little Dickie was there for two weeks before returning with family to Rio Piedras where he grew up and played ball.

I didn't know that part of the story (wiki enlighten), I just remembered that Puerto Ricans always considered Dickie one of theirs.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Bill Werber -3B on the 1939-40 pennant winners...First player to come to the plate in a televised game...Lived to be 100; at the time of his death he was the oldest former player and the last living person to have played against Babe Ruth.
    Before he died he said that he no longer watched baseball; one of the reasons that he gave was that he was dismayed to see Johnny Damon's long hair and beard. In 2008 Werber said, "I don't like the appearance of a lot of the players. The hair's too long. Their beards are too evident. They're a grubby-looking bunch of caterwaulers."

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Before he died he said that he no longer watched baseball; one of the reasons that he gave was that he was dismayed to see Johnny Damon's long hair and beard. In 2008 Werber said, "I don't like the appearance of a lot of the players. The hair's too long. Their beards are too evident. They're a grubby-looking bunch of caterwaulers."
    Good stuff, Bob! I guess Bill Werber forgot about this group of caterwaulers back in the day...

Turn Off Ads?