Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    The 27-year old switch-hitter is batting .328-3-17.
    Could he help off the bench and be an option with Dusty using Mesoraco to pinch-run three times already this year?
    He's hitting .425 vs LHP/.280 vs RHP. He's a better career hitter vs RHP .257 (.238 LHP).
    He's an 8-year ML catcher with Rays, Yankees and Dodgers.
    The Dogers didn't like he work ethic and preparation and released him last August.
    He had his shares of struggles in his career and life.
    He was an All-Star with Tampa in 2010: .295-7-54.
    He hit .353 in the 2010 World Series vs Phils.
    He has faced since then:
    2009: .218
    2010: .194
    2011: .193
    Total last 3 years: .207 in 227 games/676 AB
    He's thrown out 30% of runner stealing in his career, including 39% in 2010.
    But defense has been considered his weakness.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member Ironman92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,689
    Dioner Navarro?

    Is this the "Name the Player" answer? Lol

    No thanks on him being a Reds player. We have Willie Harris he's pretty much Tony Gwynn but without all of those irritating hits.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nothern Kentucky
    Posts
    282

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    But defense has been considered his weakness.
    Which would make this his strength?

    2009: .218
    2010: .194
    2011: .193

  5. #4
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,953

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Which would make this his strength?

    2009: .218
    2010: .194
    2011: .193
    But his 2008 season: .295 .349 .407 .757 (470 PA)

    I forgot he was an AS that year.

    I'd like to see it. We could use the SH bat. And Mesoraco needs to rediscover his groove in AAA, AFAIC.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    But his 2008 season: .295 .349 .407 .757 (470 PA)

    I forgot he was an AS that year.

    I'd like to see it. We could use the SH bat. And Mesoraco needs to rediscover his groove in AAA, AFAIC.
    Mesoraco stays up, no reason to send him down.

  7. #6
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,953

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Mesoraco stays up, no reason to send him down.
    .198 .302 .363 .665 isn't such a bad reason.

    But if not Mesoraco, who goes then?

    Harris?
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-20-2012 at 04:05 PM.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    .198 .302 .363 .665 isn't such a bad reason.

    But if not Mesoraco, who goes then?

    Harris?
    Can't send Harris down, he is DH'ing tonight, to valuable...send Frazier down he is a flash in the pan...0fer in his last what two games...

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    371

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    I rather see the Reds try and make a trade to get Russell Branyan back. He is lefty power hitter, a late game deep threat off the bench and can play 1B when Joey needs a day off, can play 3rd and play LF and RF when needed. He would have been a better option to DH tonight than Harris!!.. has 6 HR and hitting .327 at AAA for the Yankees and they have no spot for him on their MLB roster... http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=branya001rus

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    I rather see the Reds try and make a trade to get Russell Branyan back. He is lefty power hitter, a late game deep threat off the bench and can play 1B when Joey needs a day off, can play 3rd and play LF and RF when needed. He would have been a better option to DH tonight than Harris!!.. has 6 HR and hitting .327 at AAA for the Yankees and they have no spot for him on their MLB roster... http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=branya001rus
    He is in AAA for a reason, his time of producing on the major league level is over...

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    371

    Re: What about this guy for our lefty off the bench

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    He is in AAA for a reason, his time of producing on the major league level is over...
    Yep just like Harris and Costanza were doing so well at the MLB level..


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25