Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 6/23

Birthdays: 6/23

No Reds that I could find…

Others:

Hensley “Bam Bam” Meulens (45) –First native of Curacao to play major league baseball…Now a Giant coach…. Was recently knighted by the government of the Netherlands, leading some Giant players to call him “Sir Bam Bam”.

Jim Deshaies (52) –Holds the record for most career ABs without an extra-base hit…On 9/23/86, he struck out the first eight players who came to bat against him…Now a broadcaster, in 2001 he conducted a tongue-in-cheek campaign to get one Hall Of Fame vote, which he eventually did.

Marty Barrett (54) –Unusually smart player who once stole second by coming to a stop a few feet short of the base and then hopping over the tag…Successfully sued the Red Sox team physician for malpractice, winning a $1.7 million judgment.

Dave Goltz (63) –Only full-time starting pitcher to have three consecutive .500 seasons; he went 10-10, 14-14, and 14-14 again…Set a record in 1973 when he was awarded a save for an appearance in which he gave up eight runs.

Tom Haller –Catcher of the 1960s..Spent a number of years with the Giants in a weird platoon with Ed Bailey; it was a weird platoon because they both hit from the same side of the plate and were basically the same player…On 7/14/72, Tom caught a game in which the home plate umpire was his brother Bill.

Karl Spooner –Kind of the Wayne Simpson of the Dodgers; a young flamethrower who came up for two starts in 1954 and pitched two complete games, striking out 27 in those two games. In spring of 1955 he came into a game without warming up properly, hurt his arm, and was never the same pitcher again.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 6/23

I have to admit Jim "Two Silhouettes on " DeShaies is an actual Chris Berman "nickname" that I've always liked. I actually thought of DeShaies the other day when I heard the song.

I found a Red: Dick Egan, a middle infielder who played for the Reds from 1908 to 1913. I was unable however, to uncover any interesting tidbits about him. BaseballReference noted that he participated in a world tour late in his career and that during said tour he won the ship's shuffleboard tournament. Not exactly the stuff of which legends are made...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Earl Weaver had a very famous altercation with Tom Haller's brother Bill. Check out YouTube for it. Definitely Rated R.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I found a Red: Dick Egan, a middle infielder who played for the Reds from 1908 to 1913. I was unable however, to uncover any interesting tidbits about him. BaseballReference noted that he participated in a world tour late in his career and that during said tour he won the ship's shuffleboard tournament. Not exactly the stuff of which legends are made...
    Chose the wrong sport to be a professional?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?