Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Casey: Greatest Person Ever?

Sean Casey: Greatest Person Ever?

I always liked Sean Casey well enough, but had never heard this story before, which makes me think he may be my favorite baseball player ever.

The whole story and build up is worth reading, but in short a Reds team with a losing record beat the Cubs 2 of 3 in late 2004 in Wrigley, basically preventing the Cubs from going to the playoffs. (I remember that series; it was awesome.) I guess some Cubs fans had taunted Casey after the Reds lost game 1 (and called him a loser), so after game 3 he demanded that the team bus stop outside of a bar, after which he proceeded to exit the bus, run into the bar and yell:

“Losers, huh? ... You guys thought you were going to the playoffs, and look at you now. Who’s the losers now? The Cincinnati Reds just kicked your butts!”
    I hope I didn't miss a thread on Casey; I think one is appropriate since he is being inducted into the Reds hall of fame today. I had forgotten just how good his numbers were in 1999 and 2000. Of course, there were debates about just how good he was overall and in subsequent years, but I'll focus on the positive today. 1999 was a great season, probably my favorite as a Reds fan, and he was a huge part of it.

On another note, how depressing/interesting is it that a player who was basically a rookie when this board started (if we go back to the Cincinnati.com days) is now being inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame? We are old, people.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sean Casey: Greatest Person Ever?

I also remember that series. If I recall, that is the series in which Cubs announcer Chip Carey dubbed Austin Kearns, "Darth Vader in baseball spikes."
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I'm swooning. He's as sweet as ever!

He is one of the most excitable guys around, too. I would love it if he were one of the color guys on T.V. Guy simply loves the game.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    He is one of the most excitable guys around, too. I would love it if he were one of the color guys on T.V. Guy simply loves the game.
    Agreed, he brings a genuine excitement to the broadcast. Very enjoyable indeed.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Disagree. An occasional guest shot (two or three games a season) would be OK, but his manic delivery would wear really thin on a night in/night out basis.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I just can't get over the fact the Reds traded Paul Konerko and kept Sean Casey.

I don't care if Casey was a jolly, jovial, huggable, teddy bear type who signed autographs till his arm turned blue. The reality is keeping him as a Red instead of Konerko ranks up there with the Frank Robinson blunder.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I just can't get over the fact the Reds traded Paul Konerko and kept Sean Casey.

I don't care if Casey was a jolly, jovial, huggable, teddy bear type who signed autographs till his arm turned blue. The reality is keeping him as a Red instead of Konerko ranks up there with the Frank Robinson blunder.
    i use to be in that camp, but i could see how it would be a tough choice at the time considering Casey was a pure hitter, roping line drives to all fields.

He showed the power at times, but it just seemed to come and go and never stuck around consistently, by 1st basemen standards.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    i use to be in that camp, but i could see how it would be a tough choice at the time considering Casey was a pure hitter, roping line drives to all fields.

He showed the power at times, but it just seemed to come and go and never stuck around consistently, by 1st basemen standards.
    Very difficult choice at the time; Casey wound up having a very good major league career, while Konerko, of course, has had a great major league career.

But that's a tough choice when you're looking at a couple of 22 year old kids.

Where's that crystal ball when you need it?

Mostly, I can't believe the Reds traded away good pitching (Jeff Shaw) to get Konerko, an unproven hitter at the time (albeit a number 1 draft pick) and then turned around and traded him for an outfielder. And they traded away their Opening Day starter, Dave Burba, who wound up having 4 more very nice seasons in Cleveland, for Sean Casey.

You'd have thought the Reds farm system was stocked with great arms, the way Bowden was dealing away pitching back then.

But that's Jim Bowden for you- as long as he had hitting, he thought he could win.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

As I recall part of the decision to let go of Konerko was some report about a degenerative back condition or something along those lines. So if you are gonna deal one the one with a potential nightmare medical condition would be the guy to deal. Seems like those reports were wrong though, bummer.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Very difficult choice at the time; Casey wound up having a very good major league career, while Konerko, of course, has had a great major league career.

But that's a tough choice when you're looking at a couple of 22 year old kids.

Where's that crystal ball when you need it?

Mostly, I can't believe the Reds traded away good pitching (Jeff Shaw) to get Konerko, an unproven hitter at the time (albeit a number 1 draft pick) and then turned around and traded him for an outfielder. And they traded away their Opening Day starter, Dave Burba, who wound up having 4 more very nice seasons in Cleveland, for Sean Casey.

You'd have thought the Reds farm system was stocked with great arms, the way Bowden was dealing away pitching back then.

But that's Jim Bowden for you- as long as he had hitting, he thought he could win.
    Well, the Reds also received Dennis Reyes in the Shaw deal, so it's not as if Bowden simply discarded pitching in that case. It was one of several deals with the Dodgers in my lifetime in which the Reds "won" the deal. The ill-fated--from the Dodgers' end--acquisitions of Kal Daniels and Eric Davis come to mind. Heck, even Dick Wagner traded Landestoy to L.A for a young John Franco.

It's not as if the Reds clearly lost the Konerko for Cameron deal, either. It was a sound move at the time. I've often wondered what would have happened, given that 1998 was going to be a rebuilding year, if the Reds had kept both Burba and Petagine into 1999, augmenting 1B with another move, which was doable given Bowden's propensity for dumpster-diving. The Reds may well have waltzed into the '99 postseason, avoiding a one-game playoff.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

Even though I stated in a previous post that acquiring Mike Cameron was a sound move. I have to admit that I expressed the same opinion as you at the time. Konerko's right-handed power would have been a nice compliment to the lefty driven--Griffey and Dunn--lineup at the time and would have been have made a high-octane offense even more powerful.

We'll never know if the Chi-Sox preferred Konerko over Casey at the time or if Bowden refused to part with Casey. If it was the latter, then I have to agree with you that it was a mistake, as popular as Casey was/is.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Even though I stated in a previous post that acquiring Mike Cameron was a sound move. I have to admit that I expressed the same opinion as you at the time. Konerko's right-handed power would have been a nice compliment to the lefty driven--Griffey and Dunn--lineup at the time and would have been have made a high-octane offense even more powerful.

We'll never know if the Chi-Sox preferred Konerko over Casey at the time or if Bowden refused to part with Casey. If it was the latter, then I have to agree with you that it was a mistake, as popular as Casey was/is.
    Konerko was dealt long before Griffey and Dunn arrived. In fact, Konerko was dealt for Cameron who in turn was dealt for Griffey a year later. Dunn was a new draftee IIRC.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Konerko was dealt long before Griffey and Dunn arrived. In fact, Konerko was dealt for Cameron who in turn was dealt for Griffey a year later. Dunn was a new draftee IIRC.
    Just to clarify, my speculation of a scenario involving Konerko, Griffey and Dunn centered around Casey going to Chicago instead of Konerko. I should have stated it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Just to clarify, my speculation of a scenario involving Konerko, Griffey and Dunn centered around Casey going to Chicago instead of Konerko. I should have stated it better.
    Sure, but I don't think anyone knew at the time that Griffey would be coming and Dunn would be the 40 HR, On Base Machine that he would become. Casey was pretty highly regarded at the time as well. At the time, the Reds had Barry Larkin, Bret Boone and Reggie Sanders from the right side with Aaron Boone the top offensive prospect on the way. Heck, even Pokey Reese was a RH bat. I'd imagine Casey's lefty bat was more desirable.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?