Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Documentary Ever Made

Best Documentary Ever Made

World at War back in the early 70s. Watching it for the third time and it seems to get better.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best Documentary Ever Made

Wrong forum
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    World at War back in the early 70s. Watching it for the third time and it seems to get better.
    You won't get an argument from me. Olivier was not fooling around.

Absolutely. I bought the entire DVD series a few years ago. I love watching and never tire of it. The Military channel shows episodes often and I will stop and watch a little of one when flipping through the guide to find something to watch.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Grizzly Man!

j/k

One of my favorites recently is called "Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas". You can watch it on Netflix. Another good one was "Pulling John", about an arm-wrestling champion, also on Netflix. But the best I ever saw was "Hoop Dreams".

Ken Burns' Civil War.

Period.

La Dolce Vita

not counting series, my mind went to a couple of eccentric features..herzog's "little dieter needs to fly" and the maysles' "grey gardens".
    teach tolerance.

Ken Burns' baseball from the early 1990s.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Ken Burns' Civil War.

Period.

But World At War, even though I haven't seen it in eons, is right there too.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I love The Civil War and it's very well done, but I don't think it's on the level with World at War as far as quality goes. I can see why some enjoy it more, but IMO it's not as "impressive" a work as WaW.

Happy that Military History channel is running a World at War marathon, excellent.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I love The Civil War and it's very well done, but I don't think it's on the level with World at War as far as quality goes. I can see why some enjoy it more, but IMO it's not as "impressive" a work as WaW.
    World at War had the benefit of actually having living people who were prominently involved in the war. Burns degree of difficulty was much higher, like a home run hitter going to San Diego.

BTW, does anyone else love the history channel guys who do the civil war shows and have the civil war era beards? Everyone who covers history should have a commensurate hairstyle. Revolutionary war guys should wear wigs. I teach Latin and my hair is going the way of Julius Caesar, so I'm doing my part.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Best documentary??

Night and Fog

The " Civil War" is great and David McCullough is great. But David McCullough is not Laurence Olivier. This is how the English language was meant to be spoken.

It may have been if there could have been some archival film footage included in Burn's series like in WaW.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?