Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Thread: 6/24/12 - Reds vs Twins

Re: 6/24/12 - Reds vs Twins

Still can't believe Chapman grooved that pitch to Willingham. I don't remember the full Twins lineup but Mauer and Willingham are the toughest outs. Willingham is a righty.

Walk him, for goodness sake. Fall behind 3-1, just walk the guy. Go for the lesser hitters.

Chapman blew away the first guy, a weaker bat, why challenge Willingham in that spot?

2. Turn Off Ads?

"That's Chappy's job," said Dusty. Time to take the job, Dusty. It ain't working. But my money's on nothing changing.

"Lots of good hitters in the AL. Rough week for us"

Didn't seem to be for the Pirates, Dusty.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    "That's Chappy's job," said Dusty. Time to take the job, Dusty. It ain't working. But my money's on nothing changing.

Didn't seem to be for the Pirates, Dusty.
    Chapman will be fine. No sense in giving up on him and crushing his confidence. He was unhittable up until a few weeks ago. Give him a chance to work through it.

Did he just pull that line out about the Twins? The ones who are 10th the AL in OPS?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Chapman will be fine. No sense in giving up on him and crushing his confidence. He was unhittable up until a few weeks ago. Give him a chance to work through it.
    I agree that Chapman will be fine. I wish Dusty would abandon the idea of the "closer" but if he is going to go with a guy it might as well be Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    And continue to blow games?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Did he just pull that line out about the Twins? The ones who are 10th the AL in OPS?
    Yep, speaking of Mauer and Willingham. This Twins team has the worst W-L record in the majors. And they took the series.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    BINGO, We have a winner!!! Dusty has made quiet a few mistakes lately exspecially when the reds are losing.There was no need bringing Chapman in when Leake was pitching good and only threw 86 pitchs.I bet if that was Cueto out there in that same position he would have left him in there to finish the game.
    Last time he faced that part of the lineup, he barely escaped, took BP's incredible play to hold them to one run. I was sitting there thinking what KC61 was when the count went 3-1. Put him on, get the French guys.

Saying Chapman isn't the right move there is disingenuous and better left for WLW Sportstalk. He got beat. The Reds go 0-4 in one run games in one week. Tough week, tough game this MLB.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Yep, speaking of Mauer and Willingham. This Twins team has the worst W-L record in the majors. And they took the series.
    Of course those guys can hit; so can Morneau and Plouffe. The thing is, every team has a few guys who can hit. They also have plenty of weak spots in their lineup. The Twins are no different. Dusty pulling that out as the reason Cincinnati lost this week is weak.

Pirates lose 3-2, so the Reds live another day as the sole owner of first place. Cardinals winning and could be two back.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

And continue to blow games?
    He's blown two this week. It happens. Rivera's done it. Hoffman did it. He was the best relief pitcher in baseball for more than two months. He deserves better than for us to quit on him over a tough stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Still can't believe Chapman grooved that pitch to Willingham. I don't remember the full Twins lineup but Mauer and Willingham are the toughest outs. Willingham is a righty.

Walk him, for goodness sake. Fall behind 3-1, just walk the guy. Go for the lesser hitters.

Chapman blew away the first guy, a weaker bat, why challenge Willingham in that spot?
    Agreed.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Congratulations to Joey Votto, who has tied recently-inducted Reds Hall-Of-Famer Dan Driessen for 17th place on the Reds' all-time home run list. (Of course, it was much more exciting when it actually happened.)

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Brandon Phillips - 134
    17. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Joey Votto - 133
    19. Reggie Sanders - 125
    20. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    21. Sean Casey - 118
    22. Jay Bruce - 116
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Just got back from the game and I'm still in disbelief that Dusty didn't use Hanigan to PH for Valdez. Was he or cozart injured? That is the only reason I can think of for not using hanigan at that point. Mez was out of the game, so if he they tied the game he would have been in the game anyway. With joey on deck you HAVE to use ryan there. Unless Cozart is injured so no one else can play ss, there can be no justification.

Very discouraging loss to say the least. At the moment the Reds have no closer,IMO. You could see Chapman getting frustrated during Maurer's AB. A closer can't get rattled at all. For now Chapman doesn't have the mental toughness to get through a tight inning. I believe if you go back and look at his saves he had a two or three run lead when entered the game in most of those games. Much less pressure in that type of situation.
    Also not having a quality lead off hitter is really killing this team. Heisey's not the answer,Cozart is slightly better but not the answer and Stubbs can never be the leadoff hitter as long as he has strikes out 200 times a year. I don't know what the Reds do about it? Maybe try Phillips again? Take a huge chance on Hamilton in the minors? I would be shocked if they could get a quality lead off hitter at the trading deadline.
    I try to think of what I would do as a manger in situations while the game is going on. I thought in the 8th I would keep Leake in there. Only 86 pitches and he wasn't seeming to tire. Also I wouldn't have pinch hit for Mez in the 9th. I just don't like giving up outs with sacrifices when you are behind a run in the 9th.
    Not too optimistic with the big road trip looming. Have to take 2 of 3 from the Brewers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?