Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who closes now?

Who closes now?

Can't be Chapman. Reds could go to Marshall again although he did struggle in that spot. Maybe at this point Marshall would handle it better, he's been superb setting up.

Arredondo walks too many but has a 1.01 WHIP. Could be him too. I don't see any other candidates.

Have to make a change. Can't keep having Aroldis give up the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who closes now?

Marshall.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Geez. Go with closer by committee and stick with it. Go with the hot hand and win some games instead of being bullheaded and going with a guy who is struggling simply because you gave him the title "closer".

I still believe Marshall would've been fine back there and Chapman was used perfectly as the every other day stopper in tight spots. Maybe Chapman's deal is a fluke, but he hasn't acclimated well at all so far to closing, whether it be pressure or the fluctuating workloads.

I wish managers would scrap the idea of a closer. Pitch your best reliever in the highest leverage situation and be done with it. Today that happened to be the 9th but it often isn't.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Can't be Chapman. Reds could go to Marshall again although he did struggle in that spot. Maybe at this point Marshall would handle it better, he's been superb setting up.

Arredondo walks too many but has a 1.01 WHIP. Could be him too. I don't see any other candidates.

Have to make a change. Can't keep having Aroldis give up the game.
    Personally, I don't think Marshall "struggled" in that spot. I think he got extremely unlucky in that spot. IIRC he had like a 24-4 K/bb ratio at that point. He did allow 2 hr's, but the majority of the damage done against him was babip-damage. Pulling him from the closers role was a complete over-reaction on Dusty's part IMO.

Prior to the start of the season, the plan was to have Chapman starting. Either with the Reds or in Louisville. Now that Bray's back...why we're not going back to that plan is beyond me. We've got the relievers now to fill the void. Get Chapman back on the long-term track for goodness sake.

Why can't it be Chapman? Not that it matters, it will continue to be Chapman, I suspect, for the near future.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Why can't it be Chapman? Not that it matters, it will continue to be Chapman, I suspect, for the near future.
    I don't know, seems to me he should work out his problems in a different spot. I hate to see a struggling pitcher work things out with the game on the line every time.

Lower the temperature on him, give him some easier outings, then you can always make him closer again.

Problem is I'm not sure of the alternative. Marshall seems more comfortable setting up. Arredondo walks lots of guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I have a feeling you are correct. However, I hope the Reds send Chapman down to become a starter, and use Marshall as closer. It's clear he needs to develop more confidence in his secondary pitches.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Let Marshall close for now. Chapman needs to adjust because the hitters hes facing certainly have. Maybe Walt has to go out and get someone. I dunno but these last six games have been frustrating to watch. Should of would of could of but IMO we should have been 4-2 in these last 6.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

And since Dusty is the manager and with his comments after the game saying closing was Chappys job, it will be Chapman.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Chapman will be fine. This week was a hiccup. Let's not snowball the thing mentally for him by yanking him out of the role after a rough week. In the future, have someone ready to go just in case he struggles again. But give him another shot. The guy will be fine.

I think I would like to check out simon in the closers role.Tried marshall,who seems comfortable in his role now.Chapman, I believe has some issue.Either mental over his recent troubles,or his back is ailing him more then we know.
    Either way,running him out there aint doing him or the team any good.Its almost like 2010 again,where he looked really good,then lost command and had a brief stay in the minors.
    However you want to cut it,I'am done with chapman for a while.
    I'am a Rocker thro and thro!Lynyrd Skynyrd,Def lep,Van Halen,not Van Hager!

Quote Originally Posted by ddrone View Post
    I think I would like to check out simon in the closers role.Tried marshall,who seems comfortable in his role now.Chapman, I believe has some issue.Either mental over his recent troubles,or his back is ailing him more then we know.
    Either way,running him out there aint doing him or the team any good.Its almost like 2010 again,where he looked really good,then lost command and had a brief stay in the minors.
    However you want to cut it,I'am done with chapman for a while.
    This guy was brought into an impossible situation on Sunday Night baseball against the Tigers. Top of their order coming up soon, bases loaded, no outs. And it's the EIGHTH inning for crying out loud. And lately, he's been beaten by two pretty good hitters. Cabrera and Willingham. He's not a robot. He's human.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I think Chapman will be fine. This week was a hiccup. Let's not snowball the thing mentally for him by yanking him out of the role after a rough week. In the future, have someone ready to go just in case he struggles again. But give him another shot. The guy will be fine.
    He came in to the game 0-4 in his last 6 with an ERA over 10. Obviously that only gets worse after today. I don't like the idea of closer, and for a bit Dusty was managing the bullpen like he didn't have one, using guys in various and variable spots. But if he really needs one, it really can't be Chapman right now. Since he's been in the role he's seemed to lose his release on every pitch - more pitches in the dirt/high and away etc. Crap, I'd let Simon try a few.

Turn Off Ads?