Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Excellance of Dusty Baker

The Excellance of Dusty Baker

I'm sure some on here just cursed me, but if we're getting into the "excellance" of the 1st 2 games, might as well give some props to Dusty.

Starting Stubbs in Center....Excellant call, and saved some runs.
    Phillips continuing to bat leadoff despite late season slump there, has done wonders so far.
    Starting Arroyo in game 2, who could have done better?
    Remaining cool under pressure when his Ace departs after 8 pitchers.

2 games in and he has the golden touch so far.

I worried that Cozart was hurt when I saw a glimpse of Valdez walking out to the on deck circle. Then I realized he was starting to give his starters some rest/work in the guys on the bench to get them some "experience" and I seriously questioned it. Sure you drop a 9-0 lead and I'm not going to falt anyone other than the pitcher(s) and God, but the playoffs didn't seem to be the time to work in backups like Valdez and Cairo. Turns out I was wrong, and in hindsight a great move by Dusty.

He's worked every pitcher in a game so far (not by design due to Cueto's injury I'm sure) w/ the exception of Simon. Every reliever is fresh heading into tomorrow, every pitche w/ the exception of Simon has been thru the first wave of playoff nerves.

Bronson could have gone 8 or 9 last night, but after the long inning, pulling him after 7 probably leaves him fresh enough to pitch on 3 days rest in game 5 if needed. Not knowing where Cueto stands health wise, that could be a huge decision.

Kudos to Dusty, keep on keeping on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Excellance of Dusty Baker

I don't think it's been stated enough how well he handled the Cueto situation. To keep his cool under pressure and put LeCure in to let Latos get as close to his normal pre-start warmups in was a great move by him. That's what managing is all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-credit-Game-1

Daugherty article.

Quote of the article:

Baker remains scapegoated on the North Side of Chicago, but opinions of Cubs fans are easily discarded. I mean, they’re Cubs fans.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think it's been stated enough how well he handled the Cueto situation. To keep his cool under pressure and put LeCure in to let Latos get as close to his normal pre-start warmups in was a great move by him. That's what managing is all about.
    Agreed. Dusty played that situation like a pro without any panic.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think you mean "Excellence" -- but nice post.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think you mean "Excellence" -- but nice post.
    Yes, you'd be right. Grammar Hammer my hindparts away

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Yes, you'd be right. Grammar Hammer my hindparts away
    Sorry to be that guy.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I think Dusty has been very good in the first two playoff games.

Moving Stubbs to 8th but keeping him in CF in SF was a good decision.

Rolen has made some very good defensive plays and been an asset in the post season. Many people wanted him benched for Frazier but so far Rolen has been worth his keep.

I can't imagine a better handling of the situation in game one than what Dusty did. There was no panic, get LeCure in the game and get Latos warmed up.

His little trip to the mound when Chapman was pitching was well timed. It was almost a "get your #$%^ together, now is not the time to be screwing around" talk that worked.

Seems like everyone had a reason why Baker was wrong about who should pitch Game 1 and Game 2...Baker had experience with the park. I wonder how many thought of that?

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/39600610/

Reds manager Dusty Baker cited AT&T Park's forgiving nature toward pitchers as a reason he tapped Arroyo for Game 2 there. His tendency to serve homers was less likely to hurt him. When Baker managed the Giants, he said, Barry Bonds would counsel pitcher Jason Schmidt to let go of any inhibitions and "trust the park.” Schmidt, however, had a classic delivery and scorching fastball. He didn't have Arroyo's quirks or his capacity to make teammates smirk in awe or strike a pose of condescension.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

It seems like we're grasping at things to praise Dusty about.

Starting Arroyo between Cueto and Latos wasn't all that clever -- break up the power arms in a short series, keep the other team off-balance. But I'll grant him some credit, because this wasn't an obvious move.

Why does Dusty deserve praise for finally moving Drew Stubbs to the 8-hole *after refusing to do so for most of the season*? Smart move, Dusty. Way to finally come to your senses and do the obvious.

Working every pitcher into a game? Well, aside from the necessity of using the bullpen in Game 1, is it really a "great move" to let two underworked mop-up men throw an inning each in a blowout? Is that praise-worthy?

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. I just don't think there is much credit due here.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It seems like we're grasping at things to praise Dusty about...

I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. I just don't think there is much credit due here.
    I'd argue that a 2-0 game lead and almost all questionable decisions made working out in his favor tend to deserve credit and/ or praise.

Dude's done good work, as evidenced by the success of the team he's in charge of.

It's a results oriented business. The team has had great results this year. Baker deserves praise just like the players, the coaches and the front office do. People will parcel it out as they subjectively see it, but I don't see how you can begrudge the manager a chunk of credit.

I feel really good when I think about the fact Dusty Baker is in charge of this postseason run. The guy is totally committed to winning a championship and so are his players.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd argue that a 2-0 game lead and almost all questionable decisions made working out in his favor tend to deserve credit and/ or praise.

Dude's done good work, as evidenced by the success of the team he's in charge of.
    The players have done good work, and deserve the lion's share of the credit. Their success has masked a lot of Dusty's shortcomings (like having two terrible OBP hitters batting at the top of the lineup all season).

You can't just heap praise based on results without evaluating the process.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The players have done good work, and deserve the lion's share of the credit. Their success has masked a lot of Dusty's shortcomings (like having two terrible OBP hitters batting at the top of the lineup all season).

You can't just heap praise based on results without evaluating the process.
    Exactly which players should Dusty have hit at the top of the lineup? Hanigan, is this the big criticism? That he didn't hit a slow footed catcher first or second? Rather weak criticism I would say. He moved Phillips to lead off as soon as he could.

I don't agree with all of Dusty's propensities as a manager, but I only know of one individual who would manage exactly like me -- and that's me.

Have there been previous Reds teams Dusty managed which SHOULD have been in the playoffs but weren't? I'd say no.

He has done a superb job this year. Doesn't mean I would have approached it exactly the same way. But IMO the team outperformed its talent and much of it because of Dusty.

He has handled the pitching staff superbly. He has handled the injury situations superbly. He has not ignored the hitting weaknesses, but has moved players around to try and overcome them.

I don't like all the bunting and I think he leaves starters in a tad too long sometimes. But it's a small price to pay. The guy has done a great job.

Turn Off Ads?