Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better days are around the corner.

Re: Better days are around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    What am I thankful for?

The best first baseman and second baseman in the league, respectfully. An ace in Cueto. One of the best live arms in the game in Chapman. Scott Rolen's veteran presence, and getting to watch one of the best 3B of his era gracefully close out his career in a Reds uni. A solid rotation. A good bullpen. FANTASTIC defense. A fan base that continues to come out of the woodwork, slowly but surely. And a ton of good friends to discuss the ups and downs with on the best site on the world wide web .

Take heart, Reds fans. This week was bad. But we've seen worst.

GO REDS!
    Great post. I like you for this. I'm in my late 50s and this team will get better. The handling of Heisey is awful and I hope for a better left fielder through a trade, but even if they don't the tam will improve.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

cincrazy....thank you. Simply put, thank you.

Please guys, let's not let this turn into a negative thread. We need MORE of this stuff around here.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Yeah, but the younger fans never had to endure 1982, either.

All kidding aside, I agree with you, but further personnel moves are in order to even have a chance of winning it all.
    I may have missed 1982, but I was around for 2001 and 2003 .

And I'm glad some of you enjoyed this thread. It's been a tough week. But the future of this team is very exciting. I think all of us here want this team to win SO BADLY and are so passionate about this team, that when we start to see it go in the other direction, we get so upset. The reason I love this site is because it's truly the diest of die hard fans around here. I lived on this site towards the end of 2010 when this team was clinching. I joined in 2005, and to see the pure emotion and ecstacy of this site in 2010 was such a joy.

Just think, some day we'll all rejoice in a World Series triumph together . I truly believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Average those two sentiments out and you have the fans of what is likely a .500 team.

Water always finds a way to level itself.
    Really? Last I checked they were still 39-32, seven games over that mark. Barring injuries, I fully expect them to push for around 90 wins this year. A few lucky bounces, and they could have more.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Emotions aside, and they run heavy after a loss that should have never been, this is the norm. I remover, as a kid, the 1961 season. The Reds were up a game and down two games, and back up a game all season. The only difference seems to be the lineup mysteries. What makes management think that leading off junk hitters (no offense to Cozart who is a rookie) in front of the game's best hitter is smart? I can't imagine Hutch managing this team this way. Just an old fart, I guess. Maybe it will all work out. We are still in first place.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Good post(s) CC!

But....ah NM..
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Throughout a poor and frustrating week the Reds are still in first place. Barely but are a game ahead of the Pirates and two in front of the Cards. Some of it was just bad luck. Losing one run games luck plays a big factor. Overall,they are playing that poorly. This team has holes. But every other team in the NL central has holes too. This team has the makings of being very good. But it may take another off season of moves to get it done. They need good OBP guys at the top of the lineup and a solid closer. I don't know if they can get someone to fill those rolls before this season is over. But it should be done over the winter. One top of the order guy may not be too far away in Hamilton.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm lucky enough to have had a father and grandfather to carry me with vivid memories and stories that go back to the turn of the century. Really. That far. And I remember vividly to the late 50s. My great-grandfather actually played semi-pro ball and rubbed elbows with some pro players and former Reds like the lately enshrined Long John Reilly. Great-Granddad, Tommy Maddock, was a newspaper Illustrator and later photographer (for the Enquirer late in his career and Irish papers and bills publishers early on) and Reilly was a skilled illustrator when he wasn't whacking baseballs. Grandad knew him both ways - in baseball and in the art business where he first met him professionally. My grandma sat at his knee and absorbed baseball lore and later took her 4-9" flaming Irish temper to many a game at the Palace. She was 18 when the Reds won the pennant in 1919 and she and her mother were in attendance with her fiancee, a naval cadet from the Great Lakes who was from East Side, but she forgave him that somehow, probably because he was as big a Reds fan as she. They witnessed the first World Series victory for the Reds! Tommy died in the 1918 measles epidemic never getting to see his beloved Reds win the Series. He was 47. From the 1880s until Mathewson took over and formed the core of a championship team that Pat Moran finished putting together when Christy joined the Army for WWI, the Reds were always also rans. Oh, they had a few competitive teams but they were basically a second rate team. The twenties were good solid years but they always came up just short and by the thirties they were horrible - a laughing stock. Then came the short lived team if 39-40 and good almost teams in 1941 and 42. Other than that the Reds had little success from 43 until 1959. Again they had competitive teams especially in the 50s but lousy pitching did them in although they clubbed the ball at record setting paces. They won a pennant in 61 and had a well balanced team, good pitching pitching and defense but got steamrolled by one of the greatest Yankee teams. Good in 62 but not quite good enough, and very close in 63 and 64 they slipped in 65 through 69 although they were putting the pieces in place for the BRM. All fans knew was they made what looked like the worst trade in history with Robby and they were losing. Then came the decade of the BRM that makes modern Reds fans somehow think the Reds have this glorious history as a great team of golden dimensions when actually except for the 70s the Reds past has been pretty ordinary unless of course, you're a Reds fan. Kinda spoils the fan who was born and grew up with the BRM. the ones who came after and the ones older than the BRM era know better.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'm lucky enough to have had a father and grandfather to carry me with vivid memories and stories that go back to the turn of the century. Really. That far. And I remember vividly to the late 50s. My great-grandfather actually played semi-pro ball and rubbed elbows with some pro players and former Reds like the lately enshrined Long John Reilly. Great-Granddad, Tommy Maddock, was a newspaper Illustrator and later photographer (for the Enquirer late in his career and Irish papers and bills publishers early on) and Reilly was a skilled illustrator when he wasn't whacking baseballs. Grandad knew him both ways - in baseball and in the art business where he first met him professionally. My grandma sat at his knee and absorbed baseball lore and later took her 4-9" flaming Irish temper to many a game at the Palace. She was 18 when the Reds won the pennant in 1919 and she and her mother were in attendance with her fiancee, a naval cadet from the Great Lakes who was from East Side, but she forgave him that somehow, probably because he was as big a Reds fan as she. They witnessed the first World Series victory for the Reds! Tommy died in the 1918 measles epidemic never getting to see his beloved Reds win the Series. He was 47. From the 1880s until Mathewson took over and formed the core of a championship team that Pat Moran finished putting together when Christy joined the Army for WWI, the Reds were always also rans. Oh, they had a few competitive teams but they were basically a second rate team. The twenties were good solid years but they always came up just short and by the thirties they were horrible - a laughing stock. Then came the short lived team if 39-40 and good almost teams in 1941 and 42. Other than that the Reds had little success from 43 until 1959. Again they had competitive teams especially in the 50s but lousy pitching did them in although they clubbed the ball at record setting paces. They won a pennant in 61 and had a well balanced team, good pitching pitching and defense but got steamrolled by one of the greatest Yankee teams. Good in 62 but not quite good enough, and very close in 63 and 64 they slipped in 65 through 69 although they were putting the pieces in place for the BRM. All fans knew was they made what looked like the worst trade in history with Robby and they were losing. Then came the decade of the BRM that makes modern Reds fans somehow think the Reds have this glorious history as a great team of golden dimensions when actually except for the 70s the Reds past has been pretty ordinary unless of course, you're a Reds fan. Kinda spoils the fan who was born and grew up with the BRM. the ones who came after and the ones older than the BRM era know better.
    Wow. Right there, a walk through the 20th century of Reds history.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Not to pat myself on the back or anything.... but told ya so .

I remember reading this thread when it was first posted. I think we were all down at the time and this was just so refreshing to read. Thanks Cincrazy. Some forgot about how long a season really is. Thats what I like about Dusty, He doesnt get too excited and it really seems to filter down the whole 25 men.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

*high five* There will never be enough positive-minded posts and happy threads on this site for me. But this was a big step in the right direction. :O)

Thought it was a fitting time to bump this thread. Rest assured Reds fans, after tonight's game, better days ahead, and immediately ahead too, because we're going to take this series .

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?