Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin

Barry Larkin

I've been enjoying my first trip to GAB since 2010 but one thing has me completely baffled.

I did not see a single Barry Larkin shirt.

There weren't any for sale in the team store as far as I could see.

I didn't see a single fan wearing one. I did see someone wearing a Ron Gant Reds shirt. I also saw someone wearing a Bret Favre Atlanta Falcons jersey, but not a single Barry Larkin shirt.

What?
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Barry Larkin

You'd think the Reds would have Barry Larkin HOF shirts or something for sale this year.

I wore my replica Larkin jersey to Friday night's game. Of course, now that you say it, I don't really see too many other Larkin shirts/jerseys either.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I saw a guy wearing a #2 Alex Gonzalez shirt at the game the other day. He was a better shortstop than Larkin, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I've been enjoying my first trip to GAB since 2010 but one thing has me completely baffled.

I didn't see a single fan wearing one. I did see someone wearing a Ron Gant Reds shirt. I also saw someone wearing a Bret Favre Atlanta Falcons jersey, but not a single Barry Larkin shirt.

What?
    I have one but I don't wear it often.

I have always thought that the Reds botched the end of Larkin's career. O'Brein ran him out of town if you ask me. He didn't want to bring him back as a part time player. That didn't give the Reds the opportunity to capatilize on a farewell tour of Larkin. I think that pissed Larkin off and he pretty much had no realtions with the club until Bob Cast took over.

Have the Reds announced when they will be retiring his #11? I figure that it will be some time this season.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Have the Reds announced when they will be retiring his #11? I figure that it will be some time this season.
    Was just about to ask the same question.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Reds have done a 180 in honoring past players and teams etc. but the one visit I made to GABP this year I saw absolutely nothing to promote or acknowledge Barry making to to Cooperstown.

Thats not good.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The Reds have done a 180 in honoring past players and teams etc. but the one visit I made to GABP this year I saw absolutely nothing to promote or acknowledge Barry making to to Cooperstown.

Thats not good.
    I've seen banners celebrating Larkin's selection to the HOF, and he is the featured exhibit at the Reds HOF Museum.

I've seen banners celebrating Larkin's selection to the HOF, and he is the featured exhibit at the Reds HOF Museum.
    Oh ok, I have only been to one game so far so I musta missed it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

What?
    I don't find that surprising. It's been a long time since Barry played for the Reds and the fans have moved on. They'd prefer to wear Votto, Phillips and Bruce jerseys. They don't want to be seen as living in the past. It's not hip to wear retired players' shirts

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't find that surprising. It's been a long time since Barry played for the Reds and the fans have moved on. They'd prefer to wear Votto, Phillips and Bruce jerseys. They don't want to be seen as living in the past. It's not hip to wear retired players' shirts
    Ever been to a Pirates game? The #1 seller (and it's not even close) is Roberto Clemente.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I still see quite a few Bench and Rose jerseys though.

Ever been to a Pirates game? The #1 seller (and it's not even close) is Roberto Clemente.
    Who wants to be a Pirates fan? The reason that's the case is because they don't have a Joey Votto or a Brandon Phillips. I thought it was sad during some of our lean yrs that we had so many BRM era shirts at Reds games. The fact that fans wear so many Clemente shirts tells us more about the current state of Pirates BB than it does about their fans

Turn Off Ads?