Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 90

Thread: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

  1. #1
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    He's managing to stay in front. Right now his tone is urgent and results minded. I think he could be pressing right at the right time, asking his team to fight hard through this key stretch. He's got a team full of players in their prime, driving them hard is the right thing to do heading into the ASG. Take the Milwaukee series and bring the fight to the west coast. We'll see what happens, but I like what I'm hearing from Dusty. Go Reds.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member top6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    cincinnati
    Posts
    1,656

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Managing to stay in front, yet keeps putting some of the worst offensive players in baseball in the 1 and 2 holes. Whatever.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Managing to stay in front, yet keeps putting some of the worst offensive players in baseball in the 1 and 2 holes. Whatever.
    hehe...he's miserable. He's managed a team that should have a 5-7 game division lead into a tight battle for 1st. WTG Dusty! Talk never wins ballgames.

    Bum

  5. #4
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Managing to stay in front, yet keeps putting some of the worst offensive players in baseball in the 1 and 2 holes. Whatever.
    Overstate much?

  6. #5
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Dusty's really "dealin'" this team toward a tie for first place.

    It's not that Dusty is a bad manager. He's okay to good. But a really good manager probably has this team 5 to 8 games up.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Overstate much?
    Should we not mention the obvious? Just ignore facts? Maybe they aren't the worst hitters in baseball but they certainly shouldn't bat at the top of the order. Of course, Dusty is just happy they aren't "clogging the bases."

  8. #7
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    hehe...he's miserable. He's managed a team that should have a 5-7 game division lead into a tight battle for 1st. WTG Dusty! Talk never wins ballgames.

    Bum
    You are missing the point, talk sets the tone, I like what he's doing with that aspect of his job. And nothing wrong with having your best 3 players hit 3-4-5. Some people act like it's a high crime of treason.

  9. #8
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Should we not mention the obvious? Just ignore facts? Maybe they aren't the worst hitters in baseball but they certainly shouldn't bat at the top of the order. Of course, Dusty is just happy they aren't "clogging the bases."
    He didn't state any facts and I pointed that out, it sort of changes things. How old is that "clogging the bases" thing anyway? 2003? That's a tired insult.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    He didn't state any facts and I pointed that out, it sort of changes things. How old is that "clogging the bases" thing anyway? 2003? That's a tired insult.
    It's consistent with his "theory" on hitting and consistent with the fact that we only have a couple or 3 players with reasonable patience at the plate. "Just swing fellas!" It's not "tired" when it fits the bill.

    All his talk doesn't win games or set any tone. His job is to motivate these players to produce. They are under-performing for about a year and a half now. Sorry, I see no reason to be happy about that. Of course it was predictable when Dusty was hired but you don't want to hear that now do you?

    Bum

  11. #10
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dusty's really "dealin'" this team toward a tie for first place.

    It's not that Dusty is a bad manager. He's okay to good. But a really good manager probably has this team 5 to 8 games up.
    I guess that makes Mike Matheny in St. Louis the worst manager of all time.

    The players play the game. Until a month ago, no one was a good option for cleanup, so BP (who's been there done that) was solidified there and Ludwick/Frazier really aren't overly ideal anyway. So aside from Bruce, who's been streaky again this year, there really aren't any beefs with the lineup that make overwhelming sense. Certainly not deserving of the vitriol some people cling to.

    This team has Votto and Phillips, then about 10 streaky players that Dusty has to work with. Give the guy some credit, this is not the BRM.

    Oh yeah, and the pitching staff is supremely healthy under his watch.

  12. #11
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    It's consistent with his "theory" on hitting and consistent with the fact that we only have a couple or 3 players with reasonable patience at the plate. "Just swing fellas!" It's not "tired" when it fits the bill.

    All his talk doesn't win games or set any tone. His job is to motivate these players to produce. They are under-performing for about a year and a half now. Sorry, I see no reason to be happy about that. Of course it was predictable when Dusty was hired but you don't want to hear that now do you?

    Bum
    So should he motivate with sign language? I don't get it?

    What does motivation without a tone sound like? Will Ferrell's monotone character?

    Does first place, 3rd in the NL, even with pythag, all sound like a gross underachievement to you?

    Did you predict Dusty would win division title when he was hired? I bet you didn't!

    How many believed he would ruin the young core coming up in 2008? So funny...

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I guess that makes Mike Matheny in St. Louis the worst manager of all time.

    The players play the game. Until a month ago, no one was a good option for cleanup, so BP (who's been there done that) was solidified there and Ludwick/Frazier really aren't overly ideal anyway. So aside from Bruce, who's been streaky again this year, there really aren't any beefs with the lineup that make overwhelming sense. Certainly not deserving of the vitriol some people cling to.

    This team has Votto and Phillips, then about 10 streaky players that Dusty has to work with. Give the guy some credit, this is not the BRM.

    Oh yeah, and the pitching staff is supremely healthy under his watch.
    I don't recall mentioning the pitching staff? Is this the chubs forum?

    I love the Dusty apologists because it doesn't matter how bad he is, they have all the excuses for him lined up. Bruce is a lot better hitter than BP and should be batting 4th without question and BP should be moved to 1st or 2nd as he is clearly the best option there. Carry on with creating excuses for Dusty. I just hope Jockety can convince Castellini not to extend Dusty any further so that the Reds can find a manager that fits the dynamics of this team. Players may like him, but they certainly aren't stepping up for him the last year and a half. Keep the excuses coming.

    Bum

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    So should he motivate with sign language? I don't get it?

    What does motivation without a tone sound like? Will Ferrell's monotone character?

    Does first place, 3rd in the NL, even with pythag, all sound like a gross underachievement to you?

    Did you predict Dusty would win division title when he was hired? I bet you didn't!

    How many believed he would ruin the young core coming up in 2008? So funny...
    I read all of that and didn't really notice anything funny. Carry on. For the record I believe I predicted 88 or 90 wins in Dusty's first year. Anything else?

    Bum

  15. #14
    Member mdccclxix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crown
    Posts
    4,137

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    And there's nothing wrong with being aggressive at the plate, the offense is in the top 1/3 of the NL and rising. Maybe you can ask Walt to bring in some high OBP players, otherwise Dusty is bringing the players the Reds draft and develop along really, really well in the major leagues. I put it on Walt for not signing DeJesus, Willingham, or Beltran last year when it made imminent sense to do so.

  16. #15
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,703

    Re: I like what I'm hearing from Dusty

    mdccclxix, I don't think the Mike Matheny comment is a good example because Matheny has had to deal with an injured team the majority of the year. It's kind of a different situation.


    Anyway, back to the original topic. I have never been a fan of Dusty Baker and I've never felt he outmanaged TLR all those years. That said, I kind of have to stick up for him here. What else is he supposed to do? The Reds essentially have 1 elite hitter in the lineup, 1 good hitter (Phillips), one power bat that is inconsistent (Bruce), and the rest of the lineup is inconsistent. Dusty doesn't aquire the players he uses. I think the way he's using the lineup is about as good as you're going to get given the current situation with Reds players. Blame Baker for things he's truely responsible for screwing up, not things that are out of his control.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25