Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the Break Approaching...

With the Break Approaching...

Here are some promotions I'd like to see in the next two weeks:

Donnie Joseph to Cincy (to replace Chapman as a LHP in the 'pen)
    Henry Rodriguez to AAA (I'd like to give him the opportunity to compete in ST next year. Plus Vidal is at 3B in Pensacola now.)
    Beau Mills to AAA
    Donald Lutz to AA
    Billy Hamilton to AA (although I'm still not sure how to get him the proper playing time with Gregorius and LaMarre there- neither of whom has really "earned" a promotion to Louisville)

A little further out on the horizon (perhaps after the trade deadline):

Ryan LaMarre and/or DiDi Gregorius to AAA (see above)
    Chad Rogers to AA (might as well have him join all the other prospects in the Pensacola rotation)
    Robert Stephenson to A
    Drew Cisco to A
    Tanner Rahier to Billings
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: With the Break Approaching...

Where do you play Mills at AAA?

Gregorius hit .333 in April, tanked in May and has adjusted back in June to hit .321. I am ok with either situation of him staying in Pensacola or with him being promoted to Louisville. While I haven't yet run any park factors for the stadium yet, the announcers for Pensacola have noted that it is almost impossible to hit a home run to right field. While Didi isn't a big power threat, as a lefty, you have to wonder if it is causing his power to be down somewhat.

I would wait a few more weeks before even thinking about looking into promotions for Stephenson/Cisco/Rahier.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Where do you play Mills at AAA?

Gregorius hit .333 in April, tanked in May and has adjusted back in June to hit .321. I am ok with either situation of him staying in Pensacola or with him being promoted to Louisville. While I haven't yet run any park factors for the stadium yet, the announcers for Pensacola have noted that it is almost impossible to hit a home run to right field. While Didi isn't a big power threat, as a lefty, you have to wonder if it is causing his power to be down somewhat.

I would wait a few more weeks before even thinking about looking into promotions for Stephenson/Cisco/Rahier.
    I'd try Mills in LF in Louisville. It seems that would be the only place where he'd ever have a chance to start with the big club.

I wouldn't be upset if DiDi was promoted to Louisville, especially if it made room for Hamilton in Pensacola. However something would need to happen with Janish.

Agree that it's certainly too soon on the rookie league guys, but I thought I made that clear in the OP. However, if they continue to perform over the next six weeks, I'd give them a bump and see what they can do at the next level. Who knows- if Rahier mashes all year including in Billings, maybe he jumps Rosa and starts next year in Advanced A. It wouldn't be the craziest idea ever. By most accounts, he was one of the better HS hitters in the draft. Challenge thy hitters.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-26-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd try Mills in LF in Louisville. It seems that would be the only place where he'd ever have a chance to start with the big club.

I wouldn't be upset if DiDi was promoted to Louisville, especially if it made room for Hamilton in Pensacola. However something would need to happen with Janish.

Agree that it's certainly too soon on the rookie league guys, but I thought I made that clear in the OP. However, if they continue to perform over the next six weeks, I'd give them a bump and see what they can do at the next level. Who knows- if Rahier mashes all year including in Billings, maybe he jumps Rosa and starts next year in Advanced A. It wouldn't be the craziest idea ever. By most accounts, he was one of the better HS hitters in the draft. Challenge thy hitters.
    I think that Janish is the reason that both Hamilton and Gregorius are where they are. The Reds likely want all three guys to play shortstop and there just isn't room for make it happen with promotions right now.

I can't imagine the Reds jumping a guy (Rahier) over Dayton who isn't a college player.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't imagine the Reds jumping a guy (Rahier) over Dayton who isn't a college player.
    Problem is he and Rosa seem to be redundant at the same level, and if Rahier outperforms Rosa this year- what do you do?

Certainly Rosa isn't going to play a third season in rookie ball, and it would seem a waste to keep Rahier back if he is clearly ready for full season ball. He's not a pitcher they have to handle delicately.
    Go BLUE!!!

Problem is he and Rosa seem to be redundant at the same level, and if Rahier outperforms Rosa this year- what do you do?

Certainly Rosa isn't going to play a third season in rookie ball, and it would seem a waste to keep Rahier back if he is clearly ready for full season ball. He's not a pitcher they have to handle delicately.
    Then you put them both in Dayton. They have a DH. But you aren't likely to see them send a 19 year old to Bakersfield without any experience in Dayton.

Nice problem the Reds have at SS right now with prospects at all levels, Jarnish is no longer a prospect but I feel he is at least a mlb player on about 1/3 of all teams.

-The Insider-

Didi could be dealt by the deadline, giving Hamilton space in Pensacola.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Don't say things like that.

-The Insider-

Why not? It's gonna happen eventually.

I yet to see a complete game from Didi were he is fielding well and hitting well in the same game.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

If Hamilton can be at least a major league average SS defensively, he should stay there. I've only seen two games, but it seems to me there is work to do defensively. I would leave him at Bakersfield and Didi at Pensacola unless Janish moves up and there is a vacancy.

I would leave Stephenson at Billings where it will be easier to limit his innings and bring him along slowly. There are enough pitchers at Billings to limit innings for the kids and the college arms that already have some innings this year. Ditto for Cisco, Mulgarian, and Romano. The Reds have the luxury of not having to rush pitchers up the ladder. I'd be tempted to move Smith to Pensacola, Quezada to Bakersfield, and give Dennhardt a chance to start.

Too early to decide on Rosa or Rahier.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Of all the "top prospects" in the system, Gregorius is one I think that makes the most sense to trade, provided he has decent trade value.

I'm not generally a fan of light-hitting glove-first prospects, and while I know he has hit better this month than he did last month, he hasn't done much to distinguish himself from the Gookie Dawkins comp.

Plus with Cozart, Hamilton and even Janish- we seem to have enough SS depth in the upper minors for a while.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think they'll keep Rosa at 3B for a while, but if he and Rahier ever reach a point where they're on the same club, I could see Rosa shifting to a corner OF spot (he's actually listed as an OF on the Billings roster).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-27-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Here are some promotions I'd like to see in the next two weeks:

Donnie Joseph to Cincy (to replace Chapman as a LHP in the 'pen)
    Henry Rodriguez to AAA (I'd like to give him the opportunity to compete in ST next year. Plus Vidal is at 3B in Pensacola now.)
    Beau Mills to AAA
    Donald Lutz to AA
    Billy Hamilton to AA (although I'm still not sure how to get him the proper playing time with Gregorius and LaMarre there- neither of whom has really "earned" a promotion to Louisville)

A little further out on the horizon (perhaps after the trade deadline):

Ryan LaMarre and/or DiDi Gregorius to AAA (see above)
    Chad Rogers to AA (might as well have him join all the other prospects in the Pensacola rotation)
    Robert Stephenson to A
    Drew Cisco to A
    Tanner Rahier to Billings
    With Mills continuing to mash and Hamilton reaching the century mark in swipes, I thought this was worthy of a bump.

It's time for Mills to AAA (and get him an OF glove) along with Gregorius and H-Rod to AAA, and Hamilton and Lutz to AA.

Put Cozart on the 7-day DL with a concussion, call up Janish, and promote DiDi to Louisville to make room for Hamilton in Pensacola. Janish could even play a little 2B if/when he comes back to Louisville, as he'll have to backup 2B at the major league level if he ever sticks there.

A month from now, if they continue their current performance, I'd consider giving Stephenson and Winker a call to Dayton. LaMarre and Bryson Smith are two guys who could afford to see Louisville by the end of the year as well, especially if Smith continues his torrid pace. Similarly, Sharky Rogers could join the rest of the All-Star rotation in Pensacola.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?