Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the Break Approaching...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: With the Break Approaching...

Not sure I would be promoting Lutz just yet. 16 walks and 54 strikeouts isn't exactly screaming 'show me more advanced pitching'. The power plays, but the rest of his game could use some work.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dear Baseball Fans, GM's and Farm Coordinators,

There is no reason to rush us prospects.

Signed,

Shelby Miller, Julio Tearhen, Gary Brown, and Manny Machado
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Dear Baseball Fans, GM's and Farm Coordinators,

There is no reason to rush us prospects.

Signed,

Shelby Miller, Julio Tearhen, Gary Brown, and Manny Machado
    Dear Skeptics and Cherrypickers,

We did just fine.

Signed,

Albert Pujols, Jay Bruce, Mike Leake, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Trevor Bauer, and Stephen Strasburg
    Go BLUE!!!

I don't think it is "rushing" Beau Mills to send the 25 year old back to AAA, where he was earlier this season, after crushing AA pitching.

I don't think it is "rushing" Billy Hamilton to Pensacola, after he put up an .864 OPS and stole 100 bases...before the All-Star Break.

I don't think it is "rushing" Donald Lutz to send your 23 year old best hitting prospect to AA after he put up a .918 OPS in High A ball.

Finally, I don't think it is "rushing" DiDi Gregorius or Henry Rodriguez to send them to AAA, given that each is repeating AA, and they had impressive showings with the big club in Spring Training and each has tools that could play in the big leagues right now.

Those are the only five guys I said need to be promoted right now.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-03-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't think it is "rushing" Beau Mills to send the 25 year old back to AAA, where he was earlier this season, after crushing AA pitching.

I don't think it is "rushing" Billy Hamilton to Pensacola, after he put up an .864 OPS and stole 100 bases...before the All-Star Break.

I don't think it is "rushing" Donald Lutz to send your 23 year old best hitting prospect to AA after he put up a .918 OPS in High A ball.

Finally, I don't think it is "rushing" DiDi Gregorius or Henry Rodriguez to send them to AAA, given that each is repeating AA, and they had impressive showings with the big club in Spring Training and each has tools that could play in the big leagues right now.

Those are the only five guys I said need to be promoted right now.
    Seriously, I figure if I argue it enough, Hamilton will be called up.

Seriously, I figure if I argue it enough, Hamilton will be called up.
    Couldn't be any worse than Stubbs in Center...

I really really want Hamilton called up to AA soon, I have some tickets to Blue Wahoo's game in a month

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

We did just fine.

Signed,

Albert Pujols, Jay Bruce, Mike Leake, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Trevor Bauer, and Stephen Strasburg

You were right. We made our GM's question their scouting directors and cry !

Signed,

Dominic Brown, Reid Brignac, Travis Snider, Fernando Martinez, Joel Guzman, and Brandon Wood.

I tried to find players that:

A. Destroyed High A pitching
    B. Didn't play much AAA ball before their MLB debut.
    C. Got a lot of press like Mr Hamilton

There will be about 4,000 upset ticket holders in Pensacola if Billy skips Pensacola. We have all kind of things planned when he steals a base.

You were right. We made our GM's question their scouting directors and cry !

Signed,

Dominic Brown, Reid Brignac, Travis Snider, Fernando Martinez, Joel Guzman, and Brandon Wood.

I tried to find players that:

A. Destroyed High A pitching
    B. Didn't play much AAA ball before their MLB debut.
    C. Got a lot of press like Mr Hamilton
    Not sure who is advocating Hamilton not to play much AAA ball before his MLB debut.

Furthermore, not even sure what this proves. There are always disappointments and busts. It's hard to argue they were that way because they were rushed, or they just couldn't adjust to the next level. Either way, I'm not sure how this impacts my original argument for those five guys to get promoted to the next minor league level, as I've already established that doing so wouldn't be rushing them.

I also never guaranteed any of these guys would be huge successes at the major league level. I have at least as much doubt as the next guy. I'm just saying there is nothing left for them to prove at their current minor league levels, and therefore they should be promoted to the next minor league level. That is all.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-03-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm all for Mills in AAA but LF? The guy has never played OF. He 's been a third baseman and 1st baseman his entire career from High School through college (all third base) and the minors (both third but almost exclusively first for 4 years now). He is just starting to mash after a terrible season and disappointment with the Cleveland affiliate and getting sold for cash - about as low as a player's career can get without being outrighted. Expect him to be a butcher then if you play him in left and don't whine about his defense this season. Play him at both first and third so he can be a backup and bench LH bat with great power for the team eventually. He can backup Frazier and Joey and provide real pop off the bench. But putting out in left might really set him back just when he's adjusting to being trading and starting to get his stroke back. I'd let him feast a while first. Start instructing him in the outfield and explain his eventual role (and if he hits well enough third is not locked down, neither is left) and start playing him in AA in the OF a game here and there and at third as much as possible to get him used to it again. This guy is a bit older but there is a ton of talent there - he's not your average toss away minor league fodder. Reds may have scored a big hit here.

I just spent the last 3 days watching the Wahoos here in town. Trust me, no one would like to see him succeed as much as me...... my name is Mills also and that would be cool. However.....

He's a big, solid, kinda slow guy. Wouldn't be much of a OF. And there have been several references about how's he's killing AA etc.

He had 2 big multi-hit games when he came up, one of those has now "rolled off" his last 10 games, and his last 10 now show him hittting .222 over that period. Anything less than 2 hits today and that .222 is heading south.

Granted, he's got power. But I'd wait 2 weeks to give a call on how well he's mashing at AA. After seeing him, I'm not sold.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I just spent the last 3 days watching the Wahoos here in town. Trust me, no one would like to see him succeed as much as me...... my name is Mills also and that would be cool. However.....

He's a big, solid, kinda slow guy. Wouldn't be much of a OF. And there have been several references about how's he's killing AA etc.

He had 2 big multi-hit games when he came up, one of those has now "rolled off" his last 10 games, and his last 10 now show him hittting .222 over that period. Anything less than 2 hits today and that .222 is heading south.

Granted, he's got power. But I'd wait 2 weeks to give a call on how well he's mashing at AA. After seeing him, I'm not sold.
    Thanks for the info Jax. I'm rooting for Mills. If they forget moving him (if its even in the Reds heads which I doubt) and just concentrate on his hitting he may become a useful backup with power for the bench. Certainly nothing wrong with that. The Reds could sure use a lefty hitting power hitter on the bench.

The one thing interesting about him (in his very small sample size) is his righty/lefty splits.

Turn Off Ads?