Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Which MLB cities would you live in.....

Re: Which MLB cities would you live in.....

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    San Francisco.

Just got back from a quick work trip and had a wonderful time. The city is amazing and if it weren't so expensive (a client is paying $3600/month for a 1-bedroom apt) I'd seriously consider living there.

Loved every second and am jealous of all RZ'ers who live there.
    I'm with you regarding San Francisco. Beautiful city. Next choice would be Boston. (I'm purposely excluding Chicago).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I'm with you regarding San Francisco. Beautiful city. Next choice would be Boston. (I'm purposely excluding Chicago).
    Do you not like Chicago, RIC?

San Francisco was the first place I moved after college. I loved it and was so happy there, very easily could have stayed there forever, but left because I saw a show about earthquakes on the Discovery Channel and it scared the crap out of me. Number of major earthquakes the city has suffered in the ensuing decade? Zero. Don't live your life in fear of dormant faults, kids.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

San Francisco was the first place I moved after college. I loved it and was so happy there, very easily could have stayed there forever, but left because I saw a show about earthquakes on the Discovery Channel and it scared the crap out of me. Number of major earthquakes the city has suffered in the ensuing decade? Zero. Don't live your life in fear of dormant faults, kids.
    No, I love Chicago. Been here my whole life. I was just excluding it because I'm already here. Well, technically I'm in the burbs, but if I were a ball player, I'd live downtown.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think it's quite sensible to avoid an area because of natural disasters. And besides . . . just think of how broke you'd be after 10 more years in San Francisco followed by two years of Harvard tuition.

I saw one of those Discovery Channel shows, and I was surprised that the city most prone to deadly natural disasters was actually Dallas.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I think it's quite sensible to avoid an area because of natural disasters.
    I think what freaked me out the most was the way they talked about potential fire, which is my number one phobia, to the degree that I won't even allow matches in the house. Most major buildings in San Francisco are earthquake-proof at this point, but a major earthquake (which, according to the Discovery Channel, IS DEFINITELY COMING, just nobody knows when) would set off a chain of horrible fires. Most importantly, San Francisco is so expensive now that most firefighters live in Oakland. In the case of a huge earthquake, no one will be able to get over from Oakland because the bridges will be out. So they'll basically have to put out major raging fires in the city with a skeleton crew of whoever happens to be there when the earthquake happens. So everyone's going to get burned to death. At least that's what I took away from this Discovery Channel special.

I think what freaked me out the most was the way they talked about potential fire, which is my number one phobia, to the degree that I won't even allow matches in the house. Most major buildings in San Francisco are earthquake-proof at this point, but a major earthquake (which, according to the Discovery Channel, IS DEFINITELY COMING, just nobody knows when) would set off a chain of horrible fires. Most importantly, San Francisco is so expensive now that most firefighters live in Oakland. In the case of a huge earthquake, no one will be able to get over from Oakland because the bridges will be out. So they'll basically have to put out major raging fires in the city with a skeleton crew of whoever happens to be there when the earthquake happens. So everyone's going to get burned to death. At least that's what I took away from this Discovery Channel special.
    Well, I think perhaps you are over thinking this. But it's your phobia good luck!

30 years I've lived out here and just one major shake, albeit a big one, now I've got volcanos, tsunamis and earthquakes to worry about

woy, I am definitely, positively overthinking this.

To come full circle: I love watching baseball in San Francisco. Hot one minute, freezing cold the next, with stuff flying all over the place. It's like watching baseball in Willy Wonka's drug den.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Maybe the real lesson is to not watch the Discovery Channel.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I once saw a History Channel show on what would happen if a rogue terrorist group got their hands on a nuclear bomb and detonated it in Washington, D.C. They showed the terrorists drive a van with the bomb inside right up into the mall in front of the Capital Building and it exploded.

Basically, everything within an immediate three-mile radius, including the Smithsonian museums, Supreme Court, Archives, Library of Congress, Chinatown, etc. would be immediately leveled. I think the White House could survive. The ground zero area wouldn't even be accessible to first responders for many hours, if not days. Further out, like five miles, would be nothing short of a war zone with raging fires, downed buildings and bridges, inaccessible roads, etc.

I know that could potentially happen anywhere, but I've always connected it with D.C. since seeing that show.

It's up on YouTube, if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 08-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Maybe the real lesson is to not watch the Discovery Channel.
    Especially with this week being Shark Week.

There are risks everywhere. By no means am I reckless (at least not any more), but I don't live my life in fear. If the Undertoad is going to get me, there isn't much I can do about it. I live my life as fully as I possibly can.

Whatever city I live in, it would have to have a good ballpark. Boston, Chicago, SF, or KC.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?