Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which MLB cities would you live in.....

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Which MLB cities would you live in.....

New York
    Tampa
    San Deigo
    Cincinnati
    Washington
    Baltimore

Skyline Chili, Chicago Pizza and New York Deli's...I could eat those three things for the rest of my life, albeit a rather short and unhealthy one.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ok -- If I was a player I'd want to play in:

1. Cincy -- since I've always dreamed about playing for them, I'd have to say it even if I did leave home years agon.

2. Washington -- since I have to chosen to live here, I'd like to play here. The only problem is baseball is still an after thought to a crappy football town.

3. Boston -- When they love you, they love you.
    Bottom 3:

1. St. Louis -- most overrated baseball town in the world, heck even Fat Albert left.
    2. Chicago (Cubs) -- no way, no how.
    3. Phoenix -- Lived there once, don't want to do it again, especially in the Summer.
    Where we gonna go?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Cool thread.

Top 3:
    New York
    San Diego
    Seattle

Bottom 3:
    Detroit
    Minneapolis
    Milwaukee
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I like this thread also.

My top 3:
    San Diego
    New York
    San Francisco

My Bottom 3:
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Top 3:
    1. Phoenix
    2. Denver
    3. San Diego

(I'm a sucker for the West)

Bottom 3:
    1. Detroit
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. Cleveland

(Sorry Rust Belters)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

First on the pizza. Put me in the camp that thinks the sauce is the most important part of a pizza. For a chain, I think LaRosa's is quite good. Lived in NY and their pizza is a totally different animal. I don't hate it but it's more cheesebread than pizza.

I've actually lived in 5 different MLB markets. Presuming that I could afford to live in any of them, I'd rank them this way, and I'm surprised Cincy ran so high.

1. Denver
    2. Cincy
    3. Boston
    4. New York
    5. Trampa

I actually hate the weather in options 2-5 but there are certain advantages and disadvantages to all of them.

Other than Denver, of the markets I've visited I'd probably rank their desirability/liveability like this (again, assuming I could afford to live anywhere):

1. Denver
    2. Montreal - I know they're not a market anymore, but had to throw this in because it's such a great city
    3. San Diego
    4. Cincy
    5. Chicago
    6. Boston
    7. DC
    8. Toronto
    9. New York
    10. Seattle
    11. Pittsburgh
    12. Kansas City
    13. Trampa
    14. Philly
    15. Atlanta
    16. Baltimore
    17. St. Louis
    18. Cleveland
    19. Detroit

You'll note I've never been to Phoenix, Houston, Dallas or Miami either ever or since I was too young to remember, and I prejudge all of them as horrible places. Convince me I'm wrong.

I also haven't been to the Bay Area or LA since I was too young to remember, and they both seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. Unlike the cities in the prior paragraph, I plan to visit them in the coming years.

I had an in-and-out visit to the Twin Cities so I don't have an opinion about them. But my wife who is from Maine and prefers cold weather left St. Paul after her freshman year of college in large part because she said it was "too oppressively cold" even for her and had summers that were almost as bad as the other humid midwestern cities. Convince me I'm wrong.
    Stick to your guns.

Twin Cities seem like a great place in a lot of ways, but I can't convince you, chili. I'm with your wife; I handle cold worse and worse the older I get. If it's colder than Chicago by the lake I can't take it. Also, I don't trust the Twins organization.

Those of you who have Pittsburgh in the bottom three, I'm telling you, you underrate it. Beautiful terrain, and completely killing it in medicine, technology, education, and the arts. It's growing so fast and so well yet remaining affordable and livable. As far as baseball goes, it hasn't been the greatest place to be for a long time, but things seem to be looking up long-term and it's hard to beat that ballpark.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    But they use Provel cheese... and actually it's not bad, i'm just poking.

Anything (including bugs) is better than LaRosa's from Cincinnati as far as I'm concerned
    I love provel. You can't get it anywhere but St. Louis. I have relatives that bring me a five pound block a couple times a year. All of my family is from s there, I've been known to make a pizza only run. If I call a little place called cusanellis, they will freeze up their pizza for me. I'll buy about 40 of their 9", for about $4 each. It's about a ten hour round trip.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

It's a tie between New York and Boston for me.

Top 3:
    1. Chicago (I'm biased)
    2. San Diego
    3. Toronto

Bottom 3:
    1. Detroit
    2. Kansas City
    3. Cleveland
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Top 3:

1. San Diego
    2. Colorado (Denver)
    3. San Francisco

Bottom 3:

1. New York
    2. Boston
    3. Philadelphia

I based these on weather, geography and temperament of the fan base. I also excluded Cincinnati and Baltimore due to my favorable bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    Top 3:
    1. Phoenix
    2. Denver
    3. San Diego

(I'm a sucker for the West)

Bottom 3:
    1. Detroit
    2. Pittsburgh
    3. Cleveland

(Sorry Rust Belters)
    I don't get the Cleveland hate. I've lived in Northeast Ohio most of my life and Cleveland is really not that bad a place to live. It's affordable, there's stuff to do. Also, if you live outside the city, there are a number of places that look reminiscent of New England, as Northeast Ohio was originally part of the Connecticut Western Reserve. Many of the early settlers here were New Englanders whose homes were destroyed by British-set fires during the Revolutionary War. We even have a small National Park within a minutes drive.

And I'm with vaticanplum on Pittsburgh. It's a pretty nice city as well, other than the fact that it's filled with Steelers fans.

I've lived in Northeast Ohio most of my life, spent my early childhood in Western Ohio and lived in Chicago as an adult for a few years. I've traveled to many other Major League cities. With that in mind, I have no desire to live in California or anywhere else in the Southwest or Southeastern U.S. For some reason, I find many people from those regions irritating (no offense Redszoners from those regions), especially the transplants who just want to talk about how awesome the weather is there and how much it stinks in Ohio. Sorry, I like seasons.

Chicago is great when you're a young adult out of college, but is cost prohibitive for raising a family. Everyone I know who has lived there has moved to places like Cincinnati, Indy, Milwaukee or Denver. Most Midwestern cities are nice and have cool European ethnic neighborhoods for good food and drink. The only city I probably wouldn't live in is Detroit. It's been hit really hard by the recession.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I just spent a couple of days in Phoenix for work. I'm puzzled by why anyone would want to live there. I know I didn't see the nicest parts (I was out in Glendale) but it seemed pretty gross to me.
    School's out. What did you expect?

San Francisco.

Just got back from a quick work trip and had a wonderful time. The city is amazing and if it weren't so expensive (a client is paying $3600/month for a 1-bedroom apt) I'd seriously consider living there.

Loved every second and am jealous of all RZ'ers who live there.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Loved every second and am jealous of all RZ'ers who live there.
    An army of one (I think).

Turn Off Ads?