Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yasmani Grandal

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Yasmani Grandal

Grandal is putting up Votto-like numbers in Tucson.

.328 .436 .516 .952

And in 3 minor league seasons to-date:

.311 .412 .497 .909

Everybody still on board trading him instead of Mesoraco?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yasmani Grandal

Emphasis on : minor leagues. I still think he will be good, though. of course, you have to give up something of value to get something of value. If Latos can build off what he did last night, it is all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Does it actually matter? No it doesn't?

Okay, moving on then.

A .952 OPS is not Votto-like. At least not in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Does it actually matter? No it doesn't?

Okay, moving on then.
    Well, none of it matters if you want to look at it that way.

It does matter if you're at all interested in judging whether a particular move was good or bad.

Well, none of it matters if you want to look at it that way.

It does matter if you're at all interested in judging whether a particular move was good or bad.
    Sorry if I got a little snarky in that reply. I read your whole "Everybody still on board trading him instead of Mesoraco?" comment as insinuating that you somehow know better than anyone who is okay with that trade. Perhaps I'm just conditioned to those sort of quippy, assume-the-worst replies here on the Sundeck.

But you aren't going to find that answer in the July following the deal. Cherry picking minor league numbers from people we traded away isn't going to tell you that story.

I guess I just get a little tired of all the spilt milk crying that goes on here about trades when we're probably years away from understanding whether it was a "good" move or not. Again, not from you specifically, but from people who might actually get upset about a limited production sample in the minor leagues and hold that up as indisputable proof of something substantial. When it most certainly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Sorry if I got a little snarky in that reply. I read your whole "Everybody still on board trading him instead of Mesoraco?" comment as insinuating that you somehow know better than anyone who is okay with that trade. Perhaps I'm just conditioned to those sort of quippy, assume-the-worst replies here on the Sundeck.

But you aren't going to find that answer in the July following the deal. Cherry picking minor league numbers from people we traded away isn't going to tell you that story.

I guess I just get a little tired of all the spilt milk crying that goes on here about trades when we're probably years away from understanding whether it was a "good" move or not. Again, not from you specifically, but from people who might actually get upset about a limited production sample in the minor leagues and hold that up as indisputable proof of something substantial. When it most certainly is not.
    No problem, Larkin88. Maybe we're all just on edge these days for some reason. I know I am.

Anyways, I just hated to see Grandal go when the trade went down, and said so at the time. Would rather have seen Mesoraco traded, but I assume that I'm in a small minority there.

If we wait for a couple years to evaluate everything, who's going to resurrect the thread(s) that bear out my keen insight? And an old guy like myself might not be around to enjoy it anyhow.

Grandal is batting zero in the majors.

No problem, Larkin88. Maybe we're all just on edge these days for some reason. I know I am.

Anyways, I just hated to see Grandal go when the trade went down, and said so at the time. Would rather have seen Mesoraco traded, but I assume that I'm in a small minority there.

If we wait for a couple years to evaluate everything, who's going to resurrect the thread(s) that bear out my keen insight? And an old guy like myself might not be around to enjoy it anyhow.
    Fair enough. It's just tough to know what we really gave up in that package and probably even harder to know what we actually have in Mat Latos, so just seems tricky to start declaring it a win or a loss.

For the record, I was definitely not happy to see Yas go too. Along with super utility guys, I have a sort of inexplicable fascination with switch hitters in the game.

One thing that I try to keep in perspective is that Yasmani played collegiately at Miami where he even hit .400 in a season. Typically prospects out of college gain traction in the minors quicker than prospects out of high school (as Mesoraco was). So, in spite of their same age Grandal probably is further along than Mesoraco from a sheer player development standpoint than Mes was during his early minor league stint. It's also not surprising to see Grandal advance through the ranks at a quicker pace as he did.

All that said, Mesoraco's toolset projects to make his upside every bit the slash line you just shared. His arm strength is better than Grandal's ever was and with more seasoning in the majors, that will make him more valuable behind the dish.

In 2010, Mes had a 302/.377/.587 slash line with 26 HRs in about 400 at-bats. Blow Yasmani's current line out to 400 at-bats and it probably looks similar, with probably a little less power. When it's a six one way half dozen the other situation from a sheer numbers standpoint, you keep the guy with the better tools. I do sincerely believe that is Mesoraco edges Grandal in that sense, switch hitting ability aside. They're both very fine players, though, so I don't say any of that as a slight to Yasmani.

And don't worry. If the Reds end up having made an epic blunder in that trade, someone will always remind you of it here. Case in point: Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    Grandal is batting zero in the majors.
    Hahahaha no doubt

.328 .436 .516 .952

.311 .412 .497 .909

Mesoraco needs to play everyday to hit, two starts a weeks is not doing it for him

.328 .436 .516 .952

.311 .412 .497 .909

PCL is a hitters league and yes.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

I have faith that Mez was the right call, offensively and defensively. Still believe he's going to be really good. Takes time.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Mesoraco needs to play everyday to hit, two starts a weeks is not doing it for him
    This.

Reds are hot right now and in first place. I couldn't care less what another team's player is doing at the moment. Especially in the minor leagues. Anyone see the thread a month ago about Wily Mo Pena doing well in the minors? Who cares?

Turn Off Ads?