Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

  1. #46
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    It is less being built for the weather than the players being acclimated to it. The Packers with Brett Favre were a throwing team yet had an unbelievable record when the temperature was cold. You also had the Capital One Bowl a couple of years ago when the temps were low and Miami's sideline was huddled by the heaters while it was no big deal for Wisconsin.

    But if the game is in a Northern city (which it should be on occasion), it will be Indy or Detroit where the game itself can be indoors. I can live with that. People aren't likely to spend the whole week for the Championship game in that particular city because they would have just spent the whole week at the bowl game site. People aren't going to travel that long twice. But it should be rotated. The Northern teams should not always have to travel out of their region like they do now.
    There was a time when Tampa Bay was building into a Super Bowl contender but had yet to win a game in a northern city with a certain low temperature. I don't buy it one bit that temperature and weather doesn't matter. As a fan of a northern team I think the type of football is somewhat molded around what the weather conditions could be. I also think that playing a game in a temperature that you are used to could be a big advantage. IMO its much easier going from cold to warm than it is from warm to cold. The humidity is less of an issue because by the time the games mean something the humidity has leveled out.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,576

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    I guess, I'd frame the weather issue this way. It probably hasn't been the reason a team has or has not won a championship.

    Frankly, if it takes a snow storm for a program to win a championship, I'm not sure that's an argument for playing in an outside northern venue during January.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #48
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I guess, I'd frame the weather issue this way. It probably hasn't been the reason a team has or has not won a championship.

    Frankly, if it takes a snow storm for a program to win a championship, I'm not sure that's an argument for playing in an outside northern venue during January.
    You think weather and venue had little to do with LSU beating OSU in New Orleans for the BCS title game? Playing indoors in your back yard is hardly a neutral site. You don't think that game takes a little different tone if its played out doors in Cleveland or Cincinnati?

  5. #49
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I guess, I'd frame the weather issue this way. It probably hasn't been the reason a team has or has not won a championship.
    I'd say it's kinda hard to tell what kind of factor it would be since it doesn't happen in college football. Over the years we have certainly seen weather be a factor it in the NFL in December.

    Frankly, if it takes a snow storm for a program to win a championship, I'm not sure that's an argument for playing in an outside northern venue during January.
    Frankly, if it takes psudo home game and a favorable climate for a program to win a championship ...

    What's the matter Colonel Sanders? Chicken?

    GL

  6. #50
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Do any Big 10 fans in this thread wish their conference had refused to ratify the current arrangement? Seems to be quite a bit of unhappiness.

    As someone said, it's easier to go from cold to warm than warm to cold. In the interests of giving the actual best team the best chance to emerge victorious, that seems to validate the current sites.

    If there are any northern games--which is doubtful, IMO--I think you'll almost definitely see those games played in domes. Putting a fast SEC team in a dome is only going to make them faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Do any Big 10 fans in this thread wish their conference had refused to ratify the current arrangement? Seems to be quite a bit of unhappiness.

    As someone said, it's easier to go from cold to warm than warm to cold. In the interests of giving the actual best team the best chance to emerge victorious, that seems to validate the current sites.

    If there are any northern games--which is doubtful, IMO--I think you'll almost definitely see those games played in domes. Putting a fast SEC team in a dome is only going to make them faster.
    I'm happy it passed and it seems like a good enough system.

    I do wish that the semi's were going to be played in home stadiums, but not for some weather advantage. I just think that one of the aspects that makes college football unique is the environment and the better team should get that advantage.

  8. #52
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,576

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You think weather and venue had little to do with LSU beating OSU in New Orleans for the BCS title game? Playing indoors in your back yard is hardly a neutral site. You don't think that game takes a little different tone if its played out doors in Cleveland or Cincinnati?
    I've already indicated calling New Orleans a neutral venue for LSU is a stretch at best.

    I think the better team won on 1/7/2008. Playing in 60 degree weather like Cincy experienced that day (59 was the low; it hit 65 in Cleveland) would not have changed the outcome.

    But if you're asking would playing in snow increase the chances of a weaker team beating a stronger team, well, ya, it might. Can you really make a compelling argument that the National Championship game should be played in crappy weather though?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  9. #53
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I've already indicated calling New Orleans a neutral venue for LSU is a stretch at best.

    I think the better team won on 1/7/2008. Playing in 60 degree weather like Cincy experienced that day (59 was the low; it hit 65 in Cleveland) would not have changed the outcome.

    But if you're asking would playing in snow increase the chances of a weaker team beating a stronger team, well, ya, it might. Can you really make a compelling argument that the National Championship game should be played in crappy weather though?
    Does playing in perfect conditions really determine the best team? I think when you are building a program you have to consider the environment you are playing in. Sure it can be 60 degrees in Ohio in January but it also can be 0. If your playing your last 4 games in cold weather it changes up the style you play. You have to make considerations for that, you may not throw the ball as much.

    I just don't get the idea that taking an Alabama, LSU, Florida and having them play and outdoor game in the north won't effect them. The furthest north the SEC teams play a demanding game is Knoxville. IMO it makes a difference and its not just the snow or rain, just the cold weather. I have family from Florida and its quite funny to watch how they react to cold weather at Christmas.

  10. #54
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,576

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Does playing in perfect conditions really determine the best team? I think when you are building a program you have to consider the environment you are playing in. Sure it can be 60 degrees in Ohio in January but it also can be 0. If your playing your last 4 games in cold weather it changes up the style you play. You have to make considerations for that, you may not throw the ball as much.

    I just don't get the idea that taking an Alabama, LSU, Florida and having them play and outdoor game in the north won't effect them. The furthest north the SEC teams play a demanding game is Knoxville. IMO it makes a difference and its not just the snow or rain, just the cold weather. I have family from Florida and its quite funny to watch how they react to cold weather at Christmas.
    Lets assume taking a team and placing it in a certain weather condition could dramatically impact it's skill and thus dramatically impact the outcome. What is the point of determining a championship that way? I don't get wanting to play a championship in snow. It's taking a perceived slight disadvantage associated with having to play a bowl game in good weather (Big Ten teams simply don't play that many games in "January" conditions) and over correcting to an extreme.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  11. #55
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    The weather thing, for me, is a tangent. I just want semi-final home games because that'd be awesome, whether it's in Columbus or Gainesville or wherever.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  12. #56
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Do any Big 10 fans in this thread wish their conference had refused to ratify the current arrangement? Seems to be quite a bit of unhappiness.

    As someone said, it's easier to go from cold to warm than warm to cold. In the interests of giving the actual best team the best chance to emerge victorious, that seems to validate the current sites.

    If there are any northern games--which is doubtful, IMO--I think you'll almost definitely see those games played in domes. Putting a fast SEC team in a dome is only going to make them faster.
    What's done is done. I have no problem with it. An SEC team will be faster, but how will they handle the noise from a partisan B1G crowd? Play that game in Indy or Detroit and I think the B1G will win 75% of the time over a more talented SEC school. Just my opinion.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  13. #57
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post

    They found that the stadium/arena/weather play almost no part in determining who wins. For example, Dome teams win on the road in cold weather environments just as much as other cold weather teams do. (Remember the Falcons at Lambeau).

    BTW, in the end they found that referees make up almost all home field advantage. The book is a little dense, but worth reading. It certainly makes a lot of the basic sports truisms seem silly.
    Sometimes one must watch games instead of writing books. The weather sure played a role in the Bengals beating Dan Fouts and going to the Super Bowl in the early 80s

  14. #58
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sometimes one must watch games instead of writing books. The weather sure played a role in the Bengals beating Dan Fouts and going to the Super Bowl in the early 80s
    LOL.....yes sir, it did!!!!!!
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  15. #59
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,076

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sometimes one must watch games instead of writing books. The weather sure played a role in the Bengals beating Dan Fouts and going to the Super Bowl in the early 80s
    I don't think they would contend that weather NEVER affects the outcome of a game. That was one of the five worst weather games in NFL history. But, it doesn't have the overall effect that we think. Someone earlier mentioned the Bucs never winning in conference in cold weather games. That might be because they really stunk for most of their history. Why didn't the Dolphins have the same streak, or the Cowboys?

    I'm a little young for that game (I was 2 when it happened), but I read a little on the game. It sounds like the Bengals won because Ken Anderson had big hands and Dan Fouts had small hands. And, while those attributes were certainly affected by the weather, that seems much more random than some plan. I don't think the Bengals drafted Anderson out of that tiny school because he had big hands and they knew ahead of time that those would be necessary in case the wind chill gets to be around -35. Not to take anything away from the Bengals, but that feels a little fluky if that is the cause and it doesn't feel like something the Bengals engineered on their own.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  16. #60
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,076

    Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't think they would contend that weather NEVER affects the outcome of a game. That was one of the five worst weather games in NFL history. But, it doesn't have the overall effect that we think. Someone earlier mentioned the Bucs never winning in conference in cold weather games. That might be because they really stunk for most of their history. Why didn't the Dolphins have the same streak, or the Cowboys?

    I'm a little young for that game (I was 2 when it happened), but I read a little on the game. It sounds like the Bengals won because Ken Anderson had big hands and Dan Fouts had small hands. And, while those attributes were certainly affected by the weather, that seems much more random than some plan. I don't think the Bengals drafted Anderson out of that tiny school because he had big hands and they knew ahead of time that those would be necessary in case the wind chill gets to be around -35. Not to take anything away from the Bengals, but that feels a little fluky if that is the cause and it doesn't feel like something the Bengals engineered on their own.
    Somehow, I ended up talking about the size of Dan Fouts hands. Sorry everyone....

    Now, to get back on target, I think I like the plan. I wish the NCAA actually had its hand in it more than they do, but thems the breaks. The bowl games are beyond corrupt and it would be nice to sever as many ties with the bowls as possible. I love the idea of home field playoff games, but as long as the leeches that are the bowls are allowed to continue to be a part of the discussion, that will never happen.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25