Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

Re: College presidents approve new four team playoff format

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I don't think they would contend that weather NEVER affects the outcome of a game. That was one of the five worst weather games in NFL history. But, it doesn't have the overall effect that we think. Someone earlier mentioned the Bucs never winning in conference in cold weather games. That might be because they really stunk for most of their history. Why didn't the Dolphins have the same streak, or the Cowboys?

I'm a little young for that game (I was 2 when it happened), but I read a little on the game. It sounds like the Bengals won because Ken Anderson had big hands and Dan Fouts had small hands. And, while those attributes were certainly affected by the weather, that seems much more random than some plan. I don't think the Bengals drafted Anderson out of that tiny school because he had big hands and they knew ahead of time that those would be necessary in case the wind chill gets to be around -35. Not to take anything away from the Bengals, but that feels a little fluky if that is the cause and it doesn't feel like something the Bengals engineered on their own.
    The size of the QB's hands had much less to do with the outcome of that game than the weather. You really had to watch it. The Bengals linemen came out in short sleeves ready to do battle while the Chargers were shivering. Ken Anderson was one of the very good bad weather QBs and it had little to do with the size of his hands.

It's not something the Bengals engineered and that's the point. It was something the weather engineered.

As for the Bucs, if weather wasn't a concern then why was their record different in northern cities? If I'm a Bengal fan I want the Bucs in Cincinnati in December as opposed to playing in TB in Sept

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Lets assume taking a team and placing it in a certain weather condition could dramatically impact it's skill and thus dramatically impact the outcome. What is the point of determining a championship that way? I don't get wanting to play a championship in snow. It's taking a perceived slight disadvantage associated with having to play a bowl game in good weather (Big Ten teams simply don't play that many games in "January" conditions) and over correcting to an extreme.
    You do realize that playing in a northern climate in December isnt all about the snow right? Variable conditions and a 20 degree temp difference at kickoff makes a difference. Skill has nothing to do about it, it's more about familiarity with the conditions.

You match up OSU and Florida in Columbus where the game time temp is 28 and the wind is blowing around 20 mph and you can't tell me it doesn't give OSU an advantage. As it was last year the played in Orlando with a mild game time temp,advantage Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    As it was last year the played in Orlando with a mild game time temp,advantage Florida.
    Why is that "advantage Florida"?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You do realize that playing in a northern climate in December isnt all about the snow right? Variable conditions and a 20 degree temp difference at kickoff makes a difference. Skill has nothing to do about it, it's more about familiarity with the conditions.

You match up OSU and Florida in Columbus where the game time temp is 28 and the wind is blowing around 20 mph and you can't tell me it doesn't give OSU an advantage. As it was last year the played in Orlando with a mild game time temp,advantage Florida.
    The advantage is that there are 100,000 OSU partisans affecting the refs decisions. Do you think that weather would hurt a Tim Tebow offense? That offense would most definitely work in Ohio.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The size of the QB's hands had much less to do with the outcome of that game than the weather. You really had to watch it. The Bengals linemen came out in short sleeves ready to do battle while the Chargers were shivering. Ken Anderson was one of the very good bad weather QBs and it had little to do with the size of his hands.

It's not something the Bengals engineered and that's the point. It was something the weather engineered.

As for the Bucs, if weather wasn't a concern then why was their record different in northern cities? If I'm a Bengal fan I want the Bucs in Cincinnati in December as opposed to playing in TB in Sept
    The Bengals beat the Chargers earlier that year by roughly the same margin, with the same turnover margin, and with a very similar statistical feel. In a way, the weather hurt both teams performance the same. Also, they did it on the road.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Personally, I think it is easier for a northern team to go south then it is a southern team to go north come November thru January. But I say that because of practicing and preparation for the game. The northern teams can easily simulate a 75 degree climate with indoor practice facilities once the weather turns cold. But the southern teams cant simulate 35 degrees.

Another thing to keep in mind when comparing the NFL to college is that the odds say that NFL teams have plenty of guys on the squad that are used to playing in inclimate weather. Whether it be from their college days or just their time in the league and how the schedule worked out. Back in the 70's Miami was a powerhouse, their division consisted of Buffalo, New England, NYJets, and Baltimore......all cities that received winter weather.

All that being said........a lot of guys playing for Florida, LSU, Bama, USC havent even seen snow, let alone play in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Personally, I think it is easier for a northern team to go south then it is a southern team to go north come November thru January. But I say that because of practicing and preparation for the game. The northern teams can easily simulate a 75 degree climate with indoor practice facilities once the weather turns cold. But the southern teams cant simulate 35 degrees.

Another thing to keep in mind when comparing the NFL to college is that the odds say that NFL teams have plenty of guys on the squad that are used to playing in inclimate weather. Whether it be from their college days or just their time in the league and how the schedule worked out. Back in the 70's Miami was a powerhouse, their division consisted of Buffalo, New England, NYJets, and Baltimore......all cities that received winter weather.

All that being said........a lot of guys playing for Florida, LSU, Bama, USC havent even seen snow, let alone play in it.
    Talking about snow is confusing the issue by framing the discussion with extremes. The average November temp in Columbus is 50 degrees (it's 67 in Alabama).

Playing a bowl game in twenty degree, snowy weather because of a perceived advantage for warm weather teams during bowl season is a tough sell. First because, playing a Bowl game in nice weather doesn't confer an advantage, it makes the weather completely neutral and more importantly, neutralizes home field advantage. Second, and this isn't unimportant, no one wants to watch a national championship be decided in crappy, fifteen degree weather on a January evening in Ann Arbor.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Talking about snow is confusing the issue by framing the discussion with extremes. The average November temp in Columbus is 50 degrees (it's 67 in Alabama).

Playing a bowl game in twenty degree, snowy weather because of a perceived advantage for warm weather teams during bowl season is a tough sell. First because, playing a Bowl game in nice weather doesn't confer an advantage, it makes the weather completely neutral and more importantly, neutralizes home field advantage. Second, and this isn't unimportant, no one wants to watch a national championship be decided in crappy, fifteen degree weather on a January evening in Ann Arbor.
    Well, the semi games would be in January. Snow would definitely figure into the equation if they gave teams an home-field advantage. Michigan and Ohio St would be prime examples. What is the average temperature in Ann Arbor or Columbus in January?

I cant argue one bit with your second paragraph. That is why, historically, most of the bowl games are in nice weather cities. Hell, a heckuva alot of "Northerners" head south for the winter period. In my neck of the woods we call them "Snow Birds"!!!!!!!!!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The games (if I had my way) would be in Dec/Jan, not November. The average temperature is not what would interest me.

Playing a bowl game in twenty degree, snowy weather because of a perceived advantage for warm weather teams during bowl season is a tough sell.
    In my scenario 8 teams would make the playoffs, and the first round would be hosted at the top 4 seeded teams home field. These games would easily sell out. The semifinal and final would be played at traditional bowl sites.

First because, playing a Bowl game in nice weather doesn't confer an advantage, it makes the weather completely neutral and more importantly, neutralizes home field advantage.
    "Nice" weather is arbitrary. Certainly games played in higher heat and humidity than one team is acclimated to is not neutral.

Second, and this isn't unimportant, no one wants to watch a national championship be decided in crappy, fifteen degree weather on a January evening in Ann Arbor.
    I'd love it. Part of the being a top tier athlete is overcoming adversity and performing no matter the conditions.

46000+ fans attended the Freezer bowl (Bengals vs. Chargers in '82) at -37* wind chill.

GL

The Bengals beat the Chargers earlier that year by roughly the same margin, with the same turnover margin, and with a very similar statistical feel. In a way, the weather hurt both teams performance the same. Also, they did it on the road.
    I'd forgotten that. Good point

The advantage is that there are 100,000 OSU partisans affecting the refs decisions. Do you think that weather would hurt a Tim Tebow offense? That offense would most definitely work in Ohio.
    I was more talking about last season's bowl game.

Speaking as an alum of a school that once went undefeated, had a Heisman finalist QB, finished in the Top Ten and only got the chance to beat the snot out of #25 BYU in the Motor City Bowl as our "reward", I choose to laugh at any claim of anyone else having any kind of unfair advantage against OSU. Or any other BCS school. Just sayin'.

Turn Off Ads?