Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Scooters

Scooters

...and medical go-carts and such...on the rise?

I have no link, I have no memory of hearing about this phenomenon, I just have my eyes.

There are a lot of freeking scooters and medical go-carts on the roads these days.

I have to think this is a fall out of the economy and gas prices and perhaps DUI law - not some new Euro-fashion striking central Indiana.

I can't tell you how often I see such slow things rolling down 45 mph roads, or attempting to cross them with bravery and skill I do not possess myself.

Just about invariably the people on them are obese as well.

I've seen them in the winter with duct taped cardboard wind blockers. These things are here to stay and I just might look into Yamaha stock...

Weeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaa, weeeeeeaaaaaaaaa, SCOOTERS!!!!!!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scooters

I actually purchased a 150cc Yamaha scoot last summer. I live and work in Downtown Dayton, and spend most of my entertainment hours around here. It was more of a impulse buy at the time, but in the last year I've really embraced the culture. Personally, I just didn't trust myself to not get hurt on a motorcycle, so I had planned to use the scooter as a stepping stone to a bike, but ended up loving it so much that I'm currently in the market for a Vespa or Genuine Buddy.

Mine's 150cc and tops out at 60, so it's fine for city and backroads driving.

But seriously, don't knock it. They're a blast.

"It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

My sister in law recently saw an obese lady on a scooter sitting at a stop sign on a scooter. She took the supply line for her oxygen tank off and lit up a cigarette.

But then, this happened in terre haute....
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Baby boomers are getting old.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    My sister in law recently saw an obese lady on a scooter sitting at a stop sign on a scooter. She took the supply line for her oxygen tank off and lit up a cigarette.

But then, this happened in terre haute....
    Heck yeah, that's what I'm talking about! It's a new lifestyle!

Whereas scooters have made sense in urban settings for a while, not knocking scooters in any way, they have found their way on to rural state routes and small towns by the score. Look out for them.

My overall sense is that many of the people I see on scooters, or on medical go-carts (is that what they're called?), do not wish to get around that way. It exposes their condition wide open, whether it's being obese, sick, poor, on probation, or alone. I find it interesting. It's not been the "American way" by getting around in anything but a car, no matter how beat up it was. Now people have no other choice but to get a little 2 stroke engine and zip around - when the weather permits.

I just consider the whole thing one of my bellwethers for life today. It's an outpost from central Indiana for you people outside the loop. I could be imagining things, but I certainly don't like seeing 60 year olds carting around the streets and alleys among large vehicles like some awful game of Frogger.

LOL, there's a scooter add showing for me at the top of this page. Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    My overall sense is that many of the people I see on scooters, or on medical go-carts (is that what they're called?)
    We call them mobies.

I took that photo as I was driving a couple months ago. She flipped me off right after I took it. I probably deserved it. It's one thing to be fat on a scooter but the yellow vest, the skin tight pink pants....what am I supposed to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 06-30-2012 at 03:23 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?