Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miami University/ College Tips?

Re: Miami University/ College Tips?

16? wow, congrats.

First, I'll start this by saying, if you want to get into trouble, it will be easy, you can find it anywhere, but at 16, you may be a fish out of water so to speak. Most frosh are to begin with, then throw on your younger age, plus your a commuter, so you're going to be different than the normal student. Its neither good nor bad, per say, just different. I'd recommend limiting the amount of partying you do (if that's your thing). I'll assume your fairly responsible, and it sounds like you have your future pretty well thought out, so this is likely not an issue. I've seen more than 1 frosh drop out of college after 2 semesters of partying hard, and spending little time in the classroom. Its easy to get distracted in college by the social scene that may or may not have been different than what your used to.

With that said, you've got 15 hours, so plan on 15 hours of studying a week (which depending on the classes may be way more than you need or not enough) that's 30 hours of your week chaulked up. I'll agree with others about getting involved in clubs or something on campus. I wish I had done that more, its a great way to meet people with similar interests. However your still going to have free time.

My advice, is to get down to the career services and see if they have any sort of connections to local companies that could use 10-20 hours a week of help in something related to your field. Or even if its not in your field, there is usually a lot of student jobs around campus, some that require little more than answering a phone and allow you to study b/w calls. Point is, get work experience that you can add to your resume. Even better if its in your field. Even if its for minimum wage, or no money at all, that experience will put you a step ahead of other people in your field 2-3-4 years down the line.

Depending on your financial situation, given your age, I'd recommend to take things a little slower, 5 or 6 years, but as many internships or field related work experience as you can get. I'd look into the study abroad program, and start planning now to spend a semester taking classes in another country, preferrably somewhere where their language (I'm thinking spain) could be advantage to your potential law enforcment carreer.

good luck, enjoy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Reading my advice, I realize it seems like I was saying take as many classes as possible. But I didn't really mean that--what I meant is take some classes in different areas and don't necessarily limit yourself. I agree it is stupid to take so many classes you are overwhelmed--especially at first and especially if you are 16.
    Oh, yeah, I understood what you were saying, and I agree with it. I was just trying to add a bit of perspective -- try a variety of classes, but start off slowly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    My advice, is to get down to the career services and see if they have any sort of connections to local companies that could use 10-20 hours a week of help in something related to your field. Or even if its not in your field, there is usually a lot of student jobs around campus, some that require little more than answering a phone and allow you to study b/w calls. Point is, get work experience that you can add to your resume. Even better if its in your field. Even if its for minimum wage, or no money at all, that experience will put you a step ahead of other people in your field 2-3-4 years down the line.

Depending on your financial situation, given your age, I'd recommend to take things a little slower, 5 or 6 years, but as many internships or field related work experience as you can get. I'd look into the study abroad program, and start planning now to spend a semester taking classes in another country, preferrably somewhere where their language (I'm thinking spain) could be advantage to your potential law enforcment carreer.
    Wow, I'm really disappointed I forgot about these two things.

It might be tough to get a career-related job as a 16 year-old, but a job is a great idea. You'll earn some spending money and learn lots of great lessons about responsibility and hard work.

I can't say enough about study abroad. Considering your age and flexibility, I would consider it a must...

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    PHY 101 (Physics and Society)... what I ended up in for Nat. Sci. Not my first choice.
    HST 197 (World History up to 1500)... Not my first choice or anything close, but it knocks out four different Global Plan requirements, so that's nice.
    All of them three hours each, so fifteen hours total.
    Ouch, those are rough.

Do you like physics/history? If not, are there any openings in a GLG or GEO course? I wouldn't worry too much about those international requirements now if you are considering a study abroad...

Thanks for the replies once again. Medford, I'm really not the hard-partying type. I also definitely plan on getting out in four years, if at all possible. Regarding studying abroad, I really have no desire to that right now, but as most people do it in their second or third year, there's no reason its definitely off the table. BC, I did the best I could with class choices, and that's what I ended up with. Why do you say they're rough? Have you had them? Are they particularly difficult or just boring?

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

try out for the football team, they could use the help.

Redsfaithful, I'm going to MU, so your advice about not going, while certainly interesting, doesn't really apply at this point. As to police work, quite frankly, its what I want to do. However, that's why I'm gunning for a Business degree; its a broad degree from one of the best business schools in the country, in case police doesn't work out.
    Is the bachelors going to benefit the police career? Seems like an awful steep price to pay as a back up plan. Especially considering the "once in a lifetime" social aspect of college will very likely be lost on a fresh faced sixteen year old commuter like yourself (no offense). College tuition is an investment like anything else, so make sure it's gonna pay off.

Thanks for the replies once again. Medford, I'm really not the hard-partying type. I also definitely plan on getting out in four years, if at all possible. Regarding studying abroad, I really have no desire to that right now, but as most people do it in their second or third year, there's no reason its definitely off the table. BC, I did the best I could with class choices, and that's what I ended up with. Why do you say they're rough? Have you had them? Are they particularly difficult or just boring?

I'd look at a Study Abroad program as a chance to learn a 2nd language, than the actual experience of seeing a foriegn country. I'm sure many law enforncement agencies could use somone that speaks spanish, which is why I suggested spain. At many schools, they'll set you up with a host family which would really give you the full emersion experience.

As far as a minor in business not helping a law enforcement degree, first I'd say it can't hurt, and secondly it might help greatly. The FBI and secret service certainly have many people employeed with business degrees. They need people that understand balance sheets and can spot fraudulant activities in business. It may even be an area of law enforcement that you enjoy over "chase down the bad guys" aspect that's often played out in the movies/tv.

Can't say much about your chosen fields, except to say that I'd recommend hitting your sciences and math hard. You may change your mind someday and having a strong foundation in those fields can take you in many directions.

I'll also recommend studying abroad. It changed my life to be in a foreign country for a good chunk of a year. And it's not the kind of opportunity that comes up in your forties, so do it now.

Let college affect you- be open minded, seek out new and interesting clubs and do things you wouldn't otherwise do. Class is only part of college.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Studying abroad is as much about (if not more) gaining the life experiences it brings with it as it is about anything education related.

As for those classes, I know some people who have, and they're just really dry and require more work than others. Few Miami Plan courses are difficult, so I'm sure if you put in the studying you'll do just fine. I'd just recommend an easier, more interesting route...

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I'll also recommend studying abroad. It changed my life to be in a foreign country for a good chunk of a year. And it's not the kind of opportunity that comes up in your forties, so do it now.
    I wish I'd done this. One of the few regrets I have about my college experience is that I didn't take advantage of a study abroad program.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I'd like to second the recommendation of a study abroad program, especially for a commuter student like 320, who'll be living at home. My daughter went to France last year for a month and it really helped her confidence/independence. So this year she had no trouble going backpacking through the UK with a friend.
    It can be expensive. Start saving up so you can go maybe Junior year.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Even though you've already scheduled classes, you can change them. And I would suggest checking the class listing every single day until you find the time slot, teacher, and class that you want. Seriously, it'll be worth it. I don't remember exactly how to do that as its surely been changed, and its been several years for me.

As far as your comment that "it's what you want to do." That may very well be the case at age 16, that you believe in your heart of hearts that is what you want to do. At age 16, I was positive I was going to be a prosecuting attorney. Two internships with law firms and I was 100% positive I did not want to be a lawyer. You may think you know what you want to do, but until you experience the real world, you really don't know what you want to do yet. So my suggestion would not be to abandon your current plans, but be open to other opportunities that may present themselves.

Please hit me up with any specific questions you have. Baseclogger is a great resource as well, and is much less removed from the Miami experience than me.

DP
    Last edited by Homer Bailey; 07-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Join the Glee Club. Seriously.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Turn Off Ads?