Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Bonuses for College Players

  1. #16
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It is unfair, whether you like the analogy or not. I could care less about what they did the year before. It shouldn't matter in terms of their pay.
    They don't have to sign.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,855

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    This is silly. No one is getting screwed. Guys are getting chances to play baseball for money. If they do well, they can make a lot of money, as in millions of dollars. If they don't like what they're being offered, they can do something else for a living, like the rest of their fellow college seniors. What is so sad about that?
    Go BLUE!!!

  4. #18
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    This is silly. No one is getting screwed. Guys are getting chances to play baseball for money. If they do well, they can make a lot of money, as in millions of dollars. If they don't like what they're being offered, they can do something else for a living, like the rest of their fellow college seniors. What is so sad about that?
    Yes they are getting screwed. Someone else, with the exact same talent/potential gets 3-4 times of what a senior would because they happen to be 4-10 months younger when they were drafted?

    The idea that 'oh they get to play baseball for a living' doesn't mean they aren't getting screwed because you would love the chance. If your talent means you should be getting $150,000 and you are essentially forced to take $35,000, you are getting screwed, even if it is something you WANT to do. Being underpaid for a job you love still means you are underpaid as long as others are being paid much better for doing similar things.

  5. #19
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,013

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It isn't really funny, it is rather sad. But it happens all the time. That is why so many teams loaded up on college seniors in the 5-10th rounds, so they could go over slot when they wanted to.
    Considering that those guys got a free college education and probably dated the best looking girls on campus, I'd say they did well. The free education is worth well over the 60k or so that they got stiffed on for the signing bonus.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  6. #20
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,013

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In the NFL, NBA seniors don't get paid 10-25% of non seniors when they sign. They get the slot money. I think these kids are getting screwed.

    It is like saying 'oh, its ok to pay someone in Mexico $1 a day to work, they don't really have any leverage'. Doesn't make it right.
    That analogy makes no sense at all.
    How many non-athletes coming out of college even get a job, much less a signing bonus now? It's difficult to get a job period. All these players should be thankful that Americans overspend on entertainment and they get paid to play a game.

    Comparing a college athlete to an exploited mexican worker is offensive.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  7. #21
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That analogy makes no sense at all.
    How many non-athletes coming out of college even get a job, much less a signing bonus now? It's difficult to get a job period. All these players should be thankful that Americans overspend on entertainment and they get paid to play a game.

    Comparing a college athlete to an exploited mexican worker is offensive.
    I could care less about what non-athletes get or don't get. Yeah, the exploited Mexican thing was probably a bit to far, but how can you say they are exploited but not the guys getting 10-25% of what their counterparts get simply because they are 8-10 months older? That is exploitation. I can't see how anyone can actually argue otherwise.

  8. #22
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Considering that those guys got a free college education and probably dated the best looking girls on campus, I'd say they did well. The free education is worth well over the 60k or so that they got stiffed on for the signing bonus.
    Baseball gets 10 or 11 scholarships, in D1. Those kids aren't getting free college. Some of them are getting partial free college and some aren't getting it at all. This isn't football and basketball where 90% of the team is on a full scholarship. In baseball maybe 1 kid per elite D1 team is on a full scholarship and the most of the other kids are splitting up the remaining 9-10 scholarships for the 25-30 kids.

  9. #23
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    In a lot of cases, the difference between a junior's bonus and a senior's bonus is enough to pay for the last year of school and more. If the senior doesn't like the offer, he doesn't have to sign it. Maybe he should consider a "real" job anyway. They all know what they're getting into. If it's really that big of a deal, leave school early force the organization to pay for your schooling.

  10. #24
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I could care less about what non-athletes get or don't get. Yeah, the exploited Mexican thing was probably a bit to far, but how can you say they are exploited but not the guys getting 10-25% of what their counterparts get simply because they are 8-10 months older? That is exploitation. I can't see how anyone can actually argue otherwise.
    Although it's definitely not true in all cases, it's typically the players on scholarships who are getting drafted.

  11. #25
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Although it's definitely not true in all cases, it's typically the players on scholarships who are getting drafted.
    I bet less than 1% of the guys drafted are on full scholarships.

  12. #26
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: 2012 Official Draft Picks and Signings

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I bet less than 1% of the guys drafted are on full scholarships.
    True, but it's still a lot of money. Even a 40% scholarship is thousands of dollars. There are other perks that come with staying in school, too. Every student athlete knows the benefits and consequences of staying in school or signing a professional contract. At some point, you have to decide: am I a baseball player, or am I something else? If you're going to take it seriously, then sign the contract before you graduate and finish school later if you'd like. If it's your backup plan, then feel free to treat it as such.

  13. #27
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,501

    Bonuses for College Players

    Continued from the draft picks and signings thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25