Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nyjer Morgan - that's Assault brother!

Nyjer Morgan - that's Assault brother!

If I was that fan in the ninth inning Nyjer Morgan wouldn't be leaving Cincy on the team plane today, he'd be in booking downtown.

He physically and verbally assaulted a fan who was clearly in his seat and not reaching onto the field. Exactly the opposite.

Unacceptable move from an unacceptable player.
    Video
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...video_22633469
    Last edited by powersackers; 06-27-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nyjer Morgan - that's Assault brother!

I think he gets suspended out of this deal. Certainly deserved.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I missed this.... can someone explain in more detail what happened?

Morgan was playing RF, and went into the stands after a ball. Fan caught ball against his chest, leaning back. I can't remember if it was first or second row. Clearly not in the field of play. Not even close. Morgan shoved the fan with his glove and started to jaw with him. Fan jawed right back.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I missed this.... can someone explain in more detail what happened?
    Flyball heading towards the stands, fan reaches for ball while Morgan reaches as well. Morgan doesn't get the ball. Morgan stares at the fan and gives him a glove to the to the upper body/lower head region. Not with a lot of force, but completely unnecessary and uncalled for. Fan doesn't back down either.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Flyball heading towards the stands, fan reaches for ball while Morgan reaches as well. Morgan doesn't get the ball. Morgan stares at the fan and gives him a glove to the to the upper body/lower head region. Not with a lot of force, but completely unnecessary and uncalled for. Fan doesn't back down either.
    Did it clearly look to you, as it did to me, the ball was well, well out of the field of play?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Did it clearly look to you, as it did to me, the ball was well, well out of the field of play?
    The fan certainly didn't reach over the wall, it was in the stands.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Well out of play yes. Full row deep.

This is getting some Twitter traction...

https://twitter.com/#!/search/nyjer%20morgan
    and
    https://twitter.com/#!/search/%40TheRealTPlush
    Some are hilarious.
    Last edited by powersackers; 06-27-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

For a Level Playing Field

Hmmm. Some may remember Pete Rose getting a 30 day suspension for pushing an umpire. How many days do you get for purposely hitting a paying MLB customer with your glove? Neither are acceptable, but one paid money to see the game and those types are kinda important to the game.

I'll wait to see the video before giving my verdict, but this is not good. You cannot touch a fan in that manner. A big no-no (on this continent).

Pretty much typical Morgan. Not sure that is "assault" though. Suspendable? Yes. Lawsuit? Call Kevin Kurgis. If you don't get paid, he don't get paid.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Pretty much typical Morgan. Not sure that is "assault" though. Suspendable? Yes. Lawsuit? Call Kevin Kurgis. If you don't get paid, he don't get paid.
    No lawsuit. That'd be frivilous. But filing assualt charges is not the same thing. There's no doubt getting hit in the face with a fist/glove intentionally with anger is assualt.

Nyjer Morgan is a complete joke. Baseball will be a better game when he retires.

Assaulted? Really? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well. Just saw it for the first time, and other than Morgan acting like a punk (as usual), I think "assault" is a huge exaggeration. His glove was against the fan trying to catch the ball just like the fan was. As he pulled away, sure, he gave a little more shove, but it wasn't much. Obvious frustration, but nothing more. The jawing was more unwarranted and may get him a slap on the wrist from the commissioner to scare off any future moments like this one.

Turn Off Ads?