Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Confederacy of Dunces

Re: A Confederacy of Dunces

Fellow Redszoner Wheels gave me this book when I came to the Redszone Gathering back in 2007. Unfortunately, I still haven't read it -- I'm not a big reader. But it will be the next novel I read.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm with those would couldn't handle Ignatius. I've got to be able to identify with the protagonist at some level, even an anti-hero. That smug bastard still bothers me. I suppose I can understand the appeal, just not my cup o' tea.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I had realized that it was one of my favorite books by the time I had finished about 10 pages. Brilliant on many levels.

Ignatius is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
    Of course, almost by definition, anybody initially opposed to a true genius becomes the "dunce" after the genius is realized and accepted as such. Just sayin'.

Still a good quote for convincing everybody with a minority opinion that they're really just an unrecognized "true genius".

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

I cannot believe that I only finally stumbled upon this book a couple months ago. Perhaps the funniest book I have ever read. The story of the author is truly a tragedy.

Any other Ignatius Reilly fans out there?
    That quote was my signature here on Redszone for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Of course, almost by definition, anybody initially opposed to a true genius becomes the "dunce" after the genius is realized and accepted as such. Just sayin'.

Still a good quote for convincing everybody with a minority opinion that they're really just an unrecognized "true genius".
    Stanley Moon: You're a nutcase! You're a bleedin' nutcase!

George Spiggott: They said the same of Jesus Christ, Freud, and Galileo.

Stanley Moon: They said it of a lot of nutcases too.

Turn Off Ads?