Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GABP looks like a motel 6 esque park compared to the Giants Park

GABP looks like a motel 6 esque park compared to the Giants Park

I love GABP. That said, you can tell it was done on the cheap.

It just lacks workmanship and quality. It lacks the feel of a "THIS IS CINCINNATI, THE BASEBALL CAPITAL SINCE 1876!"

I don't know. Like I said, I love it but at the same time I see the Giants stadium and ours is just laughable compared to there's. They have such a beautiful park, and I love that that the bullpen mound is done in a old school way by the 1st base/3rd base line, and that the bullpen guys can hangout with the team rather by there lonesome in the cage our in leftfield. I don't know, I guess I just love the look of it. It's very classy, very elegant looking.

I guess at the end of the day I just wish more effort, more time, more love, was spent on the design of GABP park..but I guess that also equates to needing more money as well..sadly.

Then again I look back at pictures of Crosley field and I think that's one beautiful ballpark as well, and I doubt to much money was spent on that park....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    EMAW

Re: GABP looks like a motel 6 esque park compared to the Giants Park

The bullpen and mound were by accident, original plan was to keep them in the "cage" out of harms way. I have been to the new yard in Frisco, it is very nice, but you are underrating the GABP

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HataRade View Post

It just lacks workmanship and quality. It lacks the feel of a "THIS IS CINCINNATI, THE BASEBALL CAPITAL SINCE 1876!"

I don't know. Like I said, I love it but at the same time I see the Giants stadium and ours is just laughable compared to there's. They have such a beautiful park, and I love that that the bullpen mound is done in a old school way by the 1st base/3rd base line, and that the bullpen guys can hangout with the team rather by there lonesome in the cage our in leftfield. I don't know, I guess I just love the look of it. It's very classy, very elegant looking.

I guess at the end of the day I just wish more effort, more time, more love, was spent on the design of GABP park..but I guess that also equates to needing more money as well..sadly.

Then again I look back at pictures of Crosley field and I think that's one beautiful ballpark as well, and I doubt to much money was spent on that park....
    And your calling a Reds lose before a game was motel 6 Also!!! Book that

I've never really liked the Giant's stadium. They have that huge plastic glove next to a gaudy giant coke bottle out in left, and I hate that huge gap in right-center.

GABP is a good stadium, although sometimes it's a little corny with the constant fireworks and goofy noises over the loudspeaker.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    I've never really liked the Giant's stadium. They have that huge plastic glove next to a gaudy giant coke bottle out in left, and I hate that huge gap in right-center.

GABP is a good stadium, although sometimes it's a little corny with the constant fireworks and goofy noises over the loudspeaker.
    +1

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Like I said before,the city had a great opportunity to doing something special,but they blew it.Same old obligatory smoke stacks like another ball park,just bland in general.That being said,I loved how the ''best baseball fans in the world''had a mass exodus during that Pirate beatdown last night.You had your pick of just about any seat behind home plate last night.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

EMAW

The Best Fans in Baseball are like the Nebraska fans, great fans when it is going well. In 2003 when we (Kansas State) destroyed Nebraska on their home field the stadium was highly purple as the game ended

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EMAW View Post
    The bullpen and mound were by accident, original plan was to keep them in the "cage" out of harms way. I have been to the new yard in Frisco, it is very nice, but you are underrating the GABP
    ^ This. SF has a terrific park. There's no debating that. But GABP is a nice park. I've been to half of 'em around the league. All things considered, it's a great place to watch a game.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

I think the riverboat they added in center looks cheap and out of place. Bad idea.

Vottobot

Take a ballpark tour, then say its a cheap, inferior ballpark... Don't say something if you have no idea what your talking about op
    Go Redlegs!!

Quote Originally Posted by tedies View Post
    Take a ballpark tour, then say its a cheap, inferior ballpark... Don't say something if you have no idea what your talking about op
    Well GABP did cost a lot less to build then AT&T Park.

I think the biggest reason GABP looks so cheap is the metallic outside. Couldn't they have used some brick anywhere? Metal looks cheap, and it looks like an erector set from the outside-cheap looking.

The playing area and seats are nice. The smokestacks at GABP are just as gimmicky as the giant coke bottle and glove at AT&T.

Really there shouldn't even be a debate about who has the nicer ballpark-AT&T easily kills GABP. I think there was a fan poll done recently by either ESPN or MLB and they asked the fans to rank there favorite ballparks. AT&T was one of the top 3 and GABP was around the middle, which seems about right.

Still, overall I like GABP and would just make some minor tweaks to it.

I still hate the way it faces, but that can't be changed at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by HataRade View Post

What's an average ticket, beer, dog, parking, ect. cost?

Please GABP: Move the fences back!! Too bad the designers didn't/couldn't incorporate more of the Ohio River into play. The easy fly ball HRs are a joke and embarrassment to Reds' fans. Most anyone who has watched, played or broadcast a game there usually has comments about the "smallness" of GABP.

GABP is nice, but not necessarily memorable. When I walk in I don't get the feeling I'm going to a special structure. BUT, that is also because there haven't been too many great memories there either. Riverfront was a concrete dump filled with cats, but it also had memories. Once we attach some winning memories to the park, those generic feelings will change.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Wasn't it built on the Banana Man Lindner's watch? What would you expect?

Turn Off Ads?