Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Women: Would You Date an Unemployed Man?

Women: Would You Date an Unemployed Man?

To the women of Redszone, would you date a guy who's unemployed? Most of you probably wouldn't according to this:

Overall, 75 percent of women said they would be unlikely to date an unemployed man, with 33 percent saying no outright. Another 42 percent of women answered maybe when asked about the possibility of dating an unemployed man. That answer, however, came with the stipulation that those women would not want to spend a lot of time in the relationship if the man did not have a plan in place. Just 21 percent of women said they would date an unemployed man.

Women, however, insist their feelings are not solely based on money. Rather, respondents said they were interested in dating someone who is engaged in an activity. Respondents felt that work was a beneficial activity for men to participate in. …

On the other hand, the prospect of dating an unemployed woman was not a problem for nearly two-thirds of men. In fact, 19 percent of men said they had no reservations and 46 percent of men said they were positive they would date an unemployed woman.
    http://www.livescience.com/21194-dat...men-women.html

So what's up with that? Us men will wine and dine an unemployed gal but the ladies sure feel differently. Sounds sexist to me...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Women: Would You Date an Unemployed Man?

I ain't sayin' she's a gold digga, but she ain't messin' with no broke ____________.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I ain't sayin' she's a gold digga, but she ain't messin' with no broke ____________.
    Swear I thought of that as I clicked on the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

/thread

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Bravo.

I think the polls show that even as we are more modernized, the traditional gender roles are still generally in place. When I take a girl out to dinner, I expect to pick up the check. I wouldn't refuse to let her pay if she offers, but asking for the check is my default position.

There are women on this board???????
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Let's hear everyone's thoughts. Think women are materialistic?

Let's hear everyone's opinion on how stupid men can be. That seems much more pertinent to this thread if you ask me.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    They certainly aren't welcomed by some of the opinions brought forth

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Let's hear everyone's thoughts. Think women are materialistic?
    Speaking as a male, I don't think so. As I see it, it seems fair for women to ask that same question of men.

Just because a man or woman does not strive to climb the corporate ladder, that does not make him/her lazy, gold digging or a non-asset.

It's about being supportive and placing the professional goals/hopes/dreams of your significant other ahead of your own for the good of the relationship.

Trust me, there are many women, especially dyed-in-the-wool Alpha womwn, who could care less about a man's paycheck.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Bravo.

I think the polls show that even as we are more modernized, the traditional gender roles are still generally in place. When I take a girl out to dinner, I expect to pick up the check. I wouldn't refuse to let her pay if she offers, but asking for the check is my default position.
    Is it really that, or is it that being unemployed is seen as a proxy for being a loser in general? Women see "unemployed" and they think of a guy who's irresponsible/selfish/flakey/etc. I'm sure some people would say that's unfair, but there's tons of men out there, and women have to narrow the field somehow. Love is war, you know.

Of course, there's also the "Cinderella" syndrome, whereby every woman thinks they're going to get some shining prince, but eventually settle down with a normal, flawed guy once years of failure teach them they ain't exactly a princess themselves.

As a woman who did date some unemployed guys back in my dating days, I'd have to say say, most of the unemployed guys I dated were unemployed for a reason--they were lazy jacka&&es who were looking fro someone to take care of them.

Really tho, it would depend on the situation. If he's recently unemployed due to the company shutting down, layoffs, etc. then I'd have probably gone out with him anyway. But if he was just let go from job #6 in a year, then I'd run like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Really tho, it would depend on the situation.
    Yeah, there's a big difference between a guy with a professional degree who's highly in demand and turning down offers while he lives off his considerable savings, and the guy lives at home with mommy so he can drink all night.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Is it really that, or is it that being unemployed is seen as a proxy for being a loser in general? Women see "unemployed" and they think of a guy who's irresponsible/selfish/flakey/etc. I'm sure some people would say that's unfair, but there's tons of men out there, and women have to narrow the field somehow. Love is war, you know.

Of course, there's also the "Cinderella" syndrome, whereby every woman thinks they're going to get some shining prince, but eventually settle down with a normal, flawed guy once years of failure teach them they ain't exactly a princess themselves.
    I'm sure that plays a big part, but I don't see how that's so different from my point.

I think that many women still look to get a traditional male over an unemployed stay at home dad. Nothing wrong with saying that, IMO. Just as I think that also many men are conversely willing to be with a stay at home wife in lieu of modern working female if the situation presented itself.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They certainly aren't welcomed by some of the opinions brought forth
    Let's hear opinions on the study

Turn Off Ads?