Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee signs with Phillies

Cliff Lee signs with Phillies

From Mlbtraderumors.com

If you believe in the mystery team, the lefty may have three legitimate suitors. Otherwise, it's just the Yankees and Rangers. The top bullets have the latest:

The unidentified third team is only willing to go four or five years, writes George A. King III of the New York Post.

Its a longshot that we are the mystery team or that there is a mystery team at all, but my only hope is that I heard one baseball analyst saying that if an owner really wants a player sometimes he will tell the GM to go get him and he will pay for him separate from the budget. I know Walt tried hard to get Lee during the season, you have to think if we were willing to trade prospects to get him then maybe we were willing to spend the money to sign him long term.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you think we could be the mystery team?

Not a chance in the world.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I always like to think that.. But I can't see this team spending $20+ million for the next 6-7 years on Lee. I'd love to see this team make a splash like that.. But just don't think it's financially fiesable.

I agree. There's about a zero percent chance we are the mystery team. I could see that mystery team being either the Angels, Cubs, Nats, or the Red Sox (how big of a dagger would that be?).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Given their previous interest in Lee, their ability to be "creative" with contracts, and the fact they swooped in quietly on Chapman, I don't put it past them. But with the microscope that's on these negotiations, I'm guessing no.

It is Christmas time. So why not wish for it. The Reda have not been in their current position since 1995. So who knows what may happen. Getting over the hump is what needs to happen.

Maybe we get Lee and then trade a starter to the Royals for Greinke.

No chance I know but if you do not ask for it chances are you do not get it.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Cruisin' for trouble

I think it's just Lee's agent trying to drive the process.

I think it's just Lee's agent trying to drive the process.
    Good chance of that. But the fact that it's taking a several days following "final offers," or what was reported as final offers, makes the machinations of a mystery team seem more plausible.

But you're probably right. The ink may not have dried on the Texas and NYY true final offers.

It's the years that will keep the Reds out of it. There just is no way they pay premium price for the number of years it would take. Not with a 7-deep roto right now and a Votto extension looming.

A trade would be a much smarter way to get the ace this team needs for another October run.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Given their previous interest in Lee, their ability to be "creative" with contracts, and the fact they swooped in quietly on Chapman, I don't put it past them. But with the microscope that's on these negotiations, I'm guessing no.
    My thoughts exactly.

Doubtful.

I really hope we are not. I would love to have Lee for the next couple of seasons, as in about 3. But it would be horrible for our team to tie down that kind of money over that many years.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Yomiyuri Giants?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yomiyuri Giants?
    I would love to see Chris Carpenter explain that one to his son.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Well, since I don't feel monkeys coming out of my butt, I doubt the Reds are the mystery team.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?