Turn Off Ads?

Thread: R.A. Dickey

R.A. Dickey

I haven't seen much discussion on R.A. Dickey on this site. If there has been and I've missed it, my apologies. But is this not crazy or what? The guy is 37 years old, he has a .885 WHIP, is striking out over a batter an inning, has an ERA of 2.15 and has a K/BB ratio of 4.64. How on earth can this be explained?

Maybe some of you that are better with numbers than I am can help me understand if this stretch is sustainable. His numbers across the board are WAY higher than they were the last few years. Is this a product of luck? Has he figured something out and made an adjustment? Is the weather this year somehow affecting the ability of hitters to hit his knuckler?

Where does this guy rank in the game right now as far as starting pitchers is concerned? It's a fascinating story, whether he keeps up this pace or not, he's still likely to see several more successful years. I had no idea a knuckler could be thrown in the 80s.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: R.A. Dickey

I think it also helps him that hitters still swing from their heels at 2 strikes. Rarely try to just put the ball in play with 2 strikes....they don't care about the strike out of course...no one does and shame on me for caring if .250 hitters with barely 20 homer power don't care either.

Anyways.....he throws other pitches too, keeps guys off balance and guys are still trying to hit like it's the PED era. Easy pickings for guys who know how to pitch, even without much stuff.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He is throwing his knuckleball more and his fastball less compared to 2008-2011.

I tend to believe that the strikeouts are real. You don't make it through June with strikeout rates like this without it being real or really close to it.

His knuckleball is getting more movement than it has over the last three years.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I also read somewhere that he's throwing the knuckler much harder now as well (increasing the movement too).

Turn Off Ads?