Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adam Eaton

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Adam Eaton

Now his BA is up to .391...
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow. Played against him in High School a lot, never figured he'd make it this far, but just goes to show how hard he must work. He was apart of a lot of underrated, good Kenton Ridge teams that wouldn't win the conference but would end up in the Final Four every year.

Same high school as former Reds Rick White, Dave Burba, and Dustin Hermanson. Hey, the only 3 guys in that school's history to make the majors have been in the Reds org. at some point, why not add Adam in?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by j_m_t_us View Post
    Fellhauer I would agree is a 4th outfielder type player because he doesn't normally play when there's a left handed starting pitcher on the mound. I think though you are under estimating LaMarre. I see him as a future everyday center fielder whether it be with the Reds or with another team. Not sure what you don't like but this guy is the perfect prototype leadoff guy! There's an article out there today that was written about this on CincyHardball.com: "Could LaMarre Be a Future Leadoff Hitter? OF Steals Home in Pensacola Win"... I guess we will have to agree to disagree!
    I've kept my eye on LaMarre's stats because I wondered if he could be Drew Stubbs' replacement in a couple years.

The only tool LaMarre is lacking is power, but he had average power in college and then broke his wrist not long before he was drafted. (If it weren't for the wrist, he might have gone higher in the draft). It sometimes takes 2-3 years for power to return after an injury like that. If LaMarre can give you a .330 OBP, 20 SB's, and give you 10-15 HR's to boot, that would be a decent upgrade. LeMarre will give you better than average defense in CF.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Everything I have read suggests that even with his nice season he is more of a 4th OF type that his overall skill package is not sufficient to be an above average starting OF. PCL does some crazy things to hitters.

I wouldn't even consider trading a much much more highly regarded prospect in Corcino for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Everything I have read suggests that even with his nice season he is more of a 4th OF type that his overall skill package is not sufficient to be an above average starting OF. PCL does some crazy things to hitters.

I wouldn't even consider trading a much much more highly regarded prospect in Corcino for him.
    Scouts are downgrading him mostly because he profiles as a leftfielder without power. Automatic ten points off or whatever. He has everything else. Plus he's hit at every level. What he's doing at the PCL definitely needs to be tampered down but I look at Pioneer, Cal, PCL by looking at their comps across the league rather than the raw numbers. He is still very, very high ranking. I'd trade straight up as I said ONLY because the Reds lack immediate help in the outfield. If they had immediate options of their own then I would not. I'd much rather find a center fielder who can lead off and a left fielder who can hit cleanup. Plus I don't want to trust a rookie in a pennant race.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Regardless of where he's playing, those numbers are still very impressive (especially for a 23 year old).
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Scouts are downgrading him mostly because he profiles as a leftfielder without power. Automatic ten points off or whatever. He has everything else. Plus he's hit at every level. What he's doing at the PCL definitely needs to be tampered down but I look at Pioneer, Cal, PCL by looking at their comps across the league rather than the raw numbers. He is still very, very high ranking. I'd trade straight up as I said ONLY because the Reds lack immediate help in the outfield. If they had immediate options of their own then I would not. I'd much rather find a center fielder who can lead off and a left fielder who can hit cleanup. Plus I don't want to trust a rookie in a pennant race.
    There are so few left fielders that can be successful without a semblance of power. It just seems like a huge compromise to trade a top prospect for a guy with the foundation of flaws, even if he does make the most of his talents.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

(Sarcasm alert) Yeah, who needs guys who can hit singles and doubles and get on base alot. Let's trade for some more guys who simply hit an occasional home run or strikeout alot. They'd fit in well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    (Sarcasm alert) Yeah, who needs guys who can hit singles and doubles and get on base alot. Let's trade for some more guys who simply hit an occasional home run or strikeout alot. They'd fit in well.
    I don't think anyone was saying that.

But guys who can hit singles and doubles a lot but not home runs are generally easier to find than guys who can hit for power.

Eaton has played at an absolute launching pad for every stop along the way except for in AA. He hit .302 and slugged .409 there. Is he any different than Henry Rodriguez, who we already control? Aside from the whole position thing of course.

I doubt many teams are out there beating our doors down for HRod.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think anyone was saying that.

But guys who can hit singles and doubles a lot but not home runs are generally easier to find than guys who can hit for power.

Eaton has played at an absolute launching pad for every stop along the way except for in AA. He hit .302 and slugged .409 there. Is he any different than Henry Rodriguez, who we already control? Aside from the whole position thing of course.

I doubt many teams are out there beating our doors down for HRod.
    True but Henry isn't from "Da Field"! Come on down Eaton it's been too long since one of our own was playing in "Da Natty".

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

You have to be going out of your way to misinterpret my posts at this point.

If Eaton is an exception and can get on base 36-37% of the time he'll likely be an asset. However, it is very difficult to do that consistently without being able to be a decent power threat. Considering he plays in LF, he's going to need to get on base a bunch to be very useful, and that transition can be very difficult to the majors.

Eaton is going to be a decent player with a good OBP imo but he'll always struggle to find PT because he just doesn't slot well into offenses. LF has always been a power place. That isn't going to change unless Eaton can be a really top shelf over achiever - like a Batting champion type. I don't think he's THAT good. I agree with Doug - he's very HRod but in left field. Earlier in the year before Ludwick started hitting I was desperate for the Reds, now I'm less so. I like Eaton a lot but were does he play? If he can OBP .350-.360 he could play left but as I said before do you trust a rookie to immediately step in and do that? When the Reds already have 2 full time rookies? And Votto changes things, too. Frazier on first we may see HRod come up at some point - another rookie. As the season has progressed Eaton's profile fits less and less well into the Reds. I don't like him any less as a player - he just fits less well as the season has changed things.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 07-19-2012 at 06:06 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    You have to be going out of your way to misinterpret my posts at this point.

If Eaton is an exception and can get on base 36-37% of the time he'll likely be an asset. However, it is very difficult to do that consistently without being able to be a decent power threat. Considering he plays in LF, he's going to need to get on base a bunch to be very useful, and that transition can be very difficult to the majors.
    Just because my post was right after yours doesn't mean I was responding to you. If I was responding to you, I would have quoted you.

I was responding to the thread. As I am now.

H-Rod has the same problem. All he does is hit and get on base, but because he doesn't have much power, some if not many people dismiss him. My feeling is we need more .300+ hitters with good OBP's rather than .240 hitters with decent but not league leading power.

Hal Morris wasn't a home run hitter. But he was on base alot. And he played a traditionally power oriented position.

I'm just tired of having to win by the long ball all of the time. I'd like to see more guys on base wreaking havoc.

I'd love to see a few H-Rod's and Adam Eaton's in the lineup, if they could carry their minor league career good hitting to the majors. Maybe they're not the exact answer, but we need more major leaguers with numbers like their minor league careers so far.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'm just tired of having to win by the long ball all of the time. I'd like to see more guys on base wreaking havoc.

I'd love to see a few H-Rod's and Adam Eaton's in the lineup, if they could carry their minor league career good hitting to the majors. Maybe they're not the exact answer, but we need more major leaguers with numbers like their minor league careers so far.
    I think we all would like to see that. But for every guy who hits like Rodriguez/Eaton in the minors, 8 of them can't do it in the Majors.

The Reds line up is flawed. It has to 'rely on the long ball' because it simply doesn't have that many good hitters in the line up. Zack Cozart, Drew Stubbs, Brandon Phillips, Ryan Hanigan.... none of those guys should be counted on for 20 home runs. Only one of them has shown an actual ability to get on base better than average though. I would love to fill the line up with guys who could hit .290 and OBP .350. But those guys are rare breeds. From 2010-Now, with 1000 at bats in that time frame, there are all of 23 players in baseball who have hit .290 and had a .350 OBP. Two of them aren't power hitters (sub .450 SLG). Joe Mauer and Jon Jay. 14 of them have slugged over .500

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think we all would like to see that. But for every guy who hits like Rodriguez/Eaton in the minors, 8 of them can't do it in the Majors.
    Do you have data to back this up? Is it really 1 in 9? I'm just wondering.

Turn Off Ads?